Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #1  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Trouble figuring out my dominant body "type"

Hi people

I need some help. I am confused about my dominant body type. I need to tailor a weight lifting/strength program and would really like to know which one I *mostly* am. I know I am some type of combination of mesomorph and endomorph and I think it's likely a close race between them. This is the site I am using for info right now:

http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/bodytypeinformation.html

Qualities I have that are mesomorph:

Body type: I am 5'7". Chest - 58"; Waist - 48"; Hips - 59". BUT! I have thunder legs. Not just thighs, but calves as well. I think I have more muscle there than your average person, but also *a lot* of fat. Muscular legs are typical of all the siblings in my family. Truth be told, I have only seen one person in my entire life that I would consider has a similar body shape to me. I know there are more out there, but it just seems uncommon. Also, as indicated by the avatar and my username, I carry a lot of fat in my upper arms. I would consider myself to be broad-shouldered as well.

Athletic: Sports has always seemed easy to me.. until I let all this weight get out of control. It has crept up year by year for the past 27 years. In high school, I played all sports & was considered one of the best players until I injured my knee and had to stop.

Other qualities: I have a large bone structure. Face is fairly well defined (not round), though I would not consider myself having a square, heavy jaw. My hair has always been a more medium thickness, not thick and not fine.

Qualities I have that are endomorph:

Body: Soft body (maybe it's just all the fat???? But I would not consider my skin to be thick like a mesomorph), also I am fair skinned and do not tan well - only burn.

Others: I feel like I gain weight easily. *FAT* legs!

What has me so confused here, even though it *appears* that I maybe lean a little more toward mesomorph.. is that I thought mesomorphs were the "gifted" people who could eat pretty much anything and not get as overweight as I seem to be? So I think I am more endomorph? I also always thought I must have a slower metabolism - but that might just be an excuse I have engrained in my head.

I really need some help - am trying to get this plan into action by the weekend. Thanks in advance for any input you can give !!!
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #2  
Eyes on the Prize

Okay.. no replies so I guess either:

A. My post is stupid and/or misinformed??
B. Body type doesn't really matter in the long run.
C. Not enough info to figure it out or posted in wrong forum.
D. I need to just shut up and do it. (probably true anyway )
E. All of the above!

According to BFFM (burn the fat, feed the muscle), if I am an endomorph I need to change the times I eat certain good carbs. So, I guess I will eat like an endomorph and maybe weight lift like a mesomorph.

Anyway, moving on now!
Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #3  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Bingo, I think you already have the answer! Don't worry about your body type and get started. I looked at the link and I cannot figure out my body type either--although one of my closest gf is definitely an ectomorph. Best of luck and enjoy the journey!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #4  
Eyes on the Prize

Thanks, losermom! I need a kick in the butt regarding weight lifting.. oh, and also some weights. I am kickin butt on cardio, though. Nice to know I am not the only confused one about that page! See.. I was thinking what if I just wing it and then months down the road I think.. gee I wish I would have done this or that from the beginning. So, I was researching and researching (good most of the time, bad other times because I never actually DO anything).

Today, I am buying a set of weights and I'm just gonna jump right in. Thanks again
Old 07-31-2009, 12:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I think I'm an endo-mesomorph. I get comments on my muscles, especially arms, but in comparing my weight and size to others of my height, I'm clearly not of the high LBW/dense/heavy for my size type.

I think some of the ideas about body types and what workouts work best are helpful, if you fall pretty clearly into one type. But lots of people are mixtures and not well-defined.

I'm not sure the ideas about body types (as endo, ecto, meso) are well grounded in science. I never knew where the ideas came from, but this article cites Willam Sheldon. His Wikipedia entry isn't too flattering. Even just looking at his work on body types, it was apparently built on photos and measurements, rather than on workouts and seeing how different interventions affected different people. Maybe there was subsequent work by others.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I had that inclination to declare myself a endomorph when I read that "soft body type." But when you really read the descriptions it's not just talking about are you fat? I def have some meso characteristics: huge bone structure (my scandanavien genes), big feet (but small hands, oddly), and disproportionately large calf muscles

I think a lot of people fall in the combo zone... i'm definitely endo-mesomorph

Last edited by Aclai4067; 07-31-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

No, I don't think endomorph is defined by being fat or not. I think any type can be fat or not. It's defined by gaining fat easier than the other types and having more fat at a baseline healthy weight.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:30 PM   #8  
Mel

Honestly, I think it just doesn't matter at this point. You just need to jump in and get started. When you've lost more of the fat, you'll see what your body looks like.

I'm a great fan of Tom Venuto, but for most people who want to lose weight and get healthy, there is too much detail there. A lot of his suggestions based on body type are more geared to a more advanced bodybuilder.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #9  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Bingo Your questions are not stupid. There is so much information out there that it is easy to get trapped in analysis paralysis. Bottom line, just get started.

When I began I really had little guidance or idea of what I was doing. I just knew that I needed to move (cardio) at an intensity that required effort thirty minutes a day, five days and to pick up something heavy and put it back down. Little by little we study and learn and add to what we know.

More important than trying to classify yourself into a category right now is to learn proper form to prevent injury either from an inferior technique, overuse (yes this can happen even to the deconditioned), and to become aware of any structural imbalances you may have in your body at the present time. A good place to start is to begin with a great certified personal trainer.

Books such as "The New Rules of Lifting for Women", "Body for Life", and websites such as www.stumptuous.com are a good introduction as well. Of course you can also continue to post specific questions here too. Usually we are available to offer insight from our own experiences as well.

Good luck and get busy.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:42 AM   #10  
Eyes on the Prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
Bingo Your questions are not stupid. There is so much information out there that it is easy to get trapped in analysis paralysis. Bottom line, just get started.

When I began I really had little guidance or idea of what I was doing. I just knew that I needed to move (cardio) at an intensity that required effort thirty minutes a day, five days and to pick up something heavy and put it back down. Little by little we study and learn and add to what we know.

More important than trying to classify yourself into a category right now is to learn proper form to prevent injury either from an inferior technique, overuse (yes this can happen even to the deconditioned), and to become aware of any structural imbalances you may have in your body at the present time. A good place to start is to begin with a great certified personal trainer.

Books such as "The New Rules of Lifting for Women", "Body for Life", and websites such as www.stumptuous.com are a good introduction as well. Of course you can also continue to post specific questions here too. Usually we are available to offer insight from our own experiences as well.

Good luck and get busy.
analysis paralysis - I love that! And is a perfect term for what I just experienced. Thank you so much for suggesting I work on technique, structural imbalances, etc.. I so need those kinds of beginner tips. I'm sad to say weight lifting is not something I have ever really done, save for trying to rehab my knee in high school. Thanks also for the book & website references! It just so happens that I ordered the book "Body Sculpting Bible for Women" and it came in the mail today. I have heard that is a good one as well?

And Mel .. I hadn't thought of Tom Venuto's part on body type being geared toward people who are advanced bodybuilders. He even sometimes states that certain advice is for serious bodybuilders. I guess it blew right past me It makes sense that the fine details of the book (like some of the body type stuff) would be for bodybuilders.

Thanks everyone! I bought a set of weights today and I'm just gonna DO IT.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #11  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

The Body Sculpting Bible for Women is one of the first books I read too. It a decent place to start. It's a little dated in material but it won't lead you in the wrong direction either. Well, I think there may be a few isolation exercises in there, if memory serves, but I could be wrong. It's been a while.

Another suggestion is to look for these types of books at your local library before purchasing them. There are many really great books out there. Look for ones that are geared for beginners and that introduce the concept of compound lifts and functional training. (Maybe keywords you could use to find the books you might find helpful)

Good luck!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

You've given yourself some of the best advice Just DO IT!!

for start up!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #13  
#TeamFitness

S/C/G: 290/208/150

Height: 5' 6"

i've been reading max muscle magazine and this is what it says about body types.

ENDOMORPHS
Endomorphs tend to be shaped like your favorite fruit (apples or pears). They gain weight easily and struggle to lose it, have slow metabolisms, and have medium to large bone frames. If you’ve struggled with your body weight for most of your life, chances are good you’re an endomorph.

MESOMORPHS
Mesomorphs tend to be muscular and lean. Many professional athletes are mesomorphs. They have small waists as well as broad shoulders and chests, they build muscle quickly, and can drop fat easily. Although most mesomorphs are fit, some take advantage of their good genetics and develop bad habits leading to weight gain.

ECTOMORPHS
Ectomorphs tend to be tall and skinny, have difficulty building muscle, have fast metabolisms, and seem to be able to eat as many calories as they want. Ectomorphs easily develop bad habits and although it is uncommon to see a “fat ectomorph,” there are plenty out there. It’s just harder to notice them.

sorry i cant post the link because i havent post enough on this website but if you go to max muscle website and search the article "train for your body type" you should be able to see it.
rookietrader is offline   Reply With Quote