Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/150/115

Height: 5"1

Default Do you eat for no reason?

Do any of yoou all find your self eating with out even thinking about it, I work nights and it seems like could sit and eat all night, it may be boredom since I am watching cameras all night long. My husband says that my family has always used food for a celebration of everything, we always had cookouts, big holidays, birthdays. I think his family is strange not to do those things. I don't think it is emotional eating. I got so mad at myself. I spent almost 2 hours working out yesterday and went straight to the kitchen and ate a oatmeal pie-UGH! I drink alot water but it doesn't seem to help. I am newly diagnosed diabetic and hypothryoid so I don't know if that is why I am eating like this. I had a ED for 15 years and I have had no problems in the last 10 but even then it was not bulemia, it was anorexia so I don't know what to do. I get so mad at myself when I eat for absolutely no reason sometimes, please tell me I am not the only one.
Jen
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

For me, making a plan helps. Also, I don't keep any foods here that I know would cause me to cave in. My boyfriend has "junkie" foods here but what he has I can easily say no to.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/164/115

Height: 5'2"

omg, i always eat for no reason. i don't even have to be hungry to eat stuff. most of the time when i eat for no reason, it's because of boredom. i just really like food, especially junk food. and whenever someone's eating something in the house, it'll usually make me wanna eat too. i think a lot of people do this.
JureeRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #4  

I wish it were that easy, I have kids so they get the junk food sometimes, we try not to buy much of it but with kids you haft to let them have a treat once in a while. I think I am going to haft to humiliate myself and put that bikini shot of myself on my treadmill and fridge and pantry, it is truley a horrible picture. I can not believe that my husband acutally wanted me to wear a two piece to the beach, I wore it twice and now I bought a tankini, I guess love must really be blind!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #5  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I happen to believe there is always a reason, but that reason is not always a good one. Boredom, habit, anxiousness, happiness, sadness, anger, hunger... Hunger is the only good reason in that bunch, but I've eaten for all of those reasons, bad and good.

In the case you describe - watching cameras all night - I would guess boredom and habit. It takes being conscious/hyper-aware of what you are doing and telling yourself no to stop that kind of eating. Good luck!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

ditto that. Know what sets you off. Bring something else to work to focus on. Bring something for your mouth to do. Chew gum. or eat sugar less hard candy. I recommend ones with xylitol instead of the other stuff.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #7  

I am trying to add my ticker...HELP!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yes, I think many of us (most?) eat for no good reason.........

And no, drinking water most certainly won't stave off the affects of too many calories.

I used to be a mindless eater. EAting where ever, whatever, whenever. Now, since deciding to become a healthy, fit, slim person - I've changed that. I am now a MINDFUL, responsible, sensible eater. I track my calories and plan out my food BEFORE hand, in advance. I make a p lan and I stick to it. That keeps my mindless eating, for no reason firmly in check.

Once I started tracking my calories, I instantly became more particular and choosy with what goes in my mouth - and what doesn't.

Keeping a food diary is a great way to rein in that mindless eating. Give it a try. It's a great tool.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/155/140

I know exactly what u are talking about. However, as far as the kids go u want to buy them the healthy stuff(or make it) so that they don't have to deal with the same issues. Go ahead and start teaching them now. My kids love sugar free jello w/free cool whip, nutrigrain bars, sugar free chocolate pudding with cool whip mixed in like a mouse and any fruit on top of Angel food cake...so, there are lots of treats out there other than those high fat little devils known as oatmeal cream pies!! I can't have them in my house at all.
Jokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #10  
Losing 20! :)

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5ft 5in

GIRL! THE story of my life! I eat when Im not hungry because Im bored or for no reason...Thats why I have went down from 146lbs..Im trying to get to 120 but I have a love for carbs...lol
kiahna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #11  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Jinx I know exactly what your saying. I just ate some tater tots and I was already full from dinner before I started shoving them in my mouth. I KNOW I am an emotional eater, but also I eat when in front of the TV out of boredom. After all these years, I have yet to find a permanent solution. I go through times when I 'control' it, but then once again, lose it and eat again......
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #12  

I have those in control times too, just not right now! I was talking to someone the other day about losing weight and they said you don't need to lose weight, that irritates me. I have HBP, Diabeties and Hypothyroid, for my health it is a just as important as the 200 lbs my 77 year old dad has been trying to lose for years. Iam on so much medication and one pill leads to needing another pill. I just sat here at work after that post and ate bananna pudding and now I feel like crap not to mention my blood sugar is up TO 211 now. I know there is control somewhere inside me, just somedays it is so hard to find. DANGIT MY HEADHURTS!

Last edited by Jinx; 07-30-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #13  
Baby Stepping Along

Jen,
You are definintely not alone. A couple of thoughts for you:

1. You might just need to change your routine enough that it shakes you to remind you that you need to 'decide' what to eat and not just keep doing it mindlessly. I don't know what you are eating while you are bored at work but one initial step might be that you only eat something on a plate with a napkin. Count out a serving of whatever you want to eat, put it on a plate and close up the container. Eat what is on there and no more. Once you've sort of established that habit (which I nearly guarantee will reduce the calories you are eating) then start incrementing down the serving size and start switching out for healthier options.

2. How are you getting the food you are eating at work? I understand not necessarily being ready to close down the treat train for the kids but how is it getting to work? Are you bringing it? I would really shoot to find some healthy options and only keep those at work.

3. Don't know how you feel about veggies but you can eat one heck of a lot of baby carrots or similar munchie veggies without much damage as long as you don't dunk them in fatty dips.

4. Don't beat yourself up so much. You ate a oatmeal pie not 20 of them. It's ok. You can figure this out and it doesn't require using such harsh words. Give yourself credit for identifying the issue and then give yourself some room to find a solution.

HTH!

Peg

PS) You don't have enough posts yet to post the links required for a ticker. I think it's 25.

Last edited by p7eggyc; 07-30-2009 at 10:07 PM.
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #14  

Peg,

You have some great advice and you are so right I am the culprit. I do bring the junk to work. I have a house full of sugar free jello and other snacks, my kids will eat anything, it's me that choses to buy the junk. We do eat alot of veggies and fruit, it's just those cravings for something sweet once in a while that get me. I know there is no easy way to get past this. I know I am the only one that controls what I put in my mouth. I am so glad to have found you all..God knows I will be posting ALOT! Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Peg,
it's just those cravings for something sweet once in a while that get me.
Remember, just because you crave something, doesn't mean you HAVE to have it. Nothing terrible will happen to you if you go without it. When a craving comes on you can either substitute it with something healthy or you can get yourself busy. Knit, sew, read, journal, exercise, clean, write, do a puzzle,- something, anything - besides eating. Those cravings will pass.

For me, the best thing I could have ever done was totally eliminate the foods that I overate and craved the most. It was a miracle of sorts for me. The less I ate them, the less I wanted them. Once I banned them, made them definite no's. That was that. I didn't have to think about it.

You have a serious medical condition. If G-d forbid one of your children had the same issue, I'm sure you would make darn certain that they did not have access to those foods. You are no different.

Think of an alcoholic. He has one drop of alcohol and it's back to square one. No, he doesn't let them back into his life - not if he wants to maintain his sobriety.

Decide you want to do this. Decide you want to live your best life that is available to you. Set yourself up for success. Get rid of the junk. They call it junk for a reason. It's valueless. It benefits no one. ADD in tasty, delicious healthy treats. Make some rules for yourself. Require more from yourself. You are a mature responsible adult, who needs to make mature responsible decisions. There's a lot at stake here and you are worth the effort.

You CAN do this. It's a doable thing as many, MANY people have done it. Put yourself amongst that group.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote