Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Soy milk vs. regular

I had a quart of Soy milk in my hand the other day, wanting to try it rather than my normal gallon of 2%.

Who else has made a switch, and why? What are the benefits to soy milk over 2%, if any? How does the taste compare? Any, uh, "stomach" issues while you were switching?
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #2  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I'm lactose-intolerant (mildly). I generally use fat free milk, it's lighter on my tummy, but I use soy milk when I can (it's expensive in the city). It makes my coffee/lattes taste SO much better. I prefer it. No problems with the tummy while drinking it. The vanilla & chocolate are good too. I wouldn't drink the plain unless it was with some kind of coffee or cereal or something.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think dairy is harmful to our health and it also results in a lot of horrid farm practices.

That isn't why I started drinking/using alternatives (soy/almond/etc milk), I think they have better nutrition stats overall. I prefer almond milk because it is really low calorie and tastes pretty good. I switch around though and will drink some soy milk, rice milk, hemp milk, etc. I am also thinking I should make my own milks but I'm too lazy and I like the convenience of commercial non dairy milks.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #4  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I switched to soymilk a couple of years ago. I really can't remember my reasoning other than I was on Atkins at the time, so maybe that is why I switched. Anyway, I've stuck with using a light vanilla soymilk every morning on my cereal. I don't drink it by the cup, but I would because it's very tasty.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #5  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

i have been using the lite choclate soya milk and the lite vanilla soya milk..and i love it!!
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #6  

Thanks for the input! I may grab a small container and see how it goes over with the husband...if it's got a good taste he may be converted as well...
Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #7  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

I can't use soy milk anymore with my thyroid condition (on advice of my doctor and nutritionist). However I can say I much prefer the taste of soy milk to any milk, diary or non. I always loved the vanilla, and chocolate for drinking, only used plain for cooking. Also enjoyed some other flavors that you can get in other milks like Coffee flavor, i used it for making iced cappuccinos to get over my addiction to Starbucks.

My husband still drinks the soy milk, he switched long ago when I did because of my lactose intolerance. Now I dont drink any milk..but then again I really dont miss it that much most of the time.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #8  
Workin' It

I really like soy milk, but it really doesn't like me much... makes me really gassy so I had to cut it mostly out... I can still do it in small doses. I really like an iced chai tea latte with vanilla soy... yummy.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I tried to switch from cow's milk to Soy milk but interestingly, I had a HUGE endometriosis FLARE UP. I drink alot of milk, I thought if I drank 3 glasses of soy milk/day it would be fine. NOoooo. Also soy is one of the thyroid depressing foods out there.

I switched to fortified almond milk. I am so glad I did. I used to be gassy everyday, maybe from the milk? but I am not anymore. Occasionally when I eat dairy I get gassy again. Plus milk was a trigger to eat cookies and cake and brownies for me.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #10  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

I thought about switching to soy milk but I really hated it. It seemed way too sweet (I bought the unflavored) and was pretty much worthless in my coffee, lol! I'm also a little weary of too much soy so I'll be sticking to the regular cow's milk. I only have milk once or twice a week anyway. It's all personal preference though so get a small container and try it out!
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #11  

Height: 5'4"

I heard soy milk is good for women during menopause... I just can't explain why... A quick google search and you might find out why.
I don't drink milk, but if I did I would have the soy milk... To me it tastes so much better than cow milk...

Last edited by belezura; 07-31-2009 at 12:18 PM.
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:27 PM   #12  

I may try and find a small container...gotta go out of town this weekend, to a city with actual big grocery stores. I might get lucky!!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

I second Nelie's choice - I drink almond milk - mainly only in smoothies because I was never a big milk drinker in the first place. Be careful with soy because it is not always a good thing (i.e. interacts with synthroid for one) - just make sure your hormones are in good shape because it does have a big effect on estrogen levels.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:44 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Soy milks are pretty variable. The flavor of the plain milk varies a lot. Then the flavorings added and the amount of sugar are also variable. So if you have more than just a passing interest, you might want to try a few. Some are very high in sugar. I have found some that are only a little sweetened, less than the amount of sugar in cow milk. And you can sweeten your own too.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #15  

I used to drink unsweetened soy milk. I've quit all milk for now. My husband loves rice milk. He said that it tastes like melted ice cream. I think that almond milk is pretty good.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote