Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #1  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

Default Food Temperature Related to Satisfaction?

Hi ladies,

I just had a little conversation with my boss in the lunch room (she was tasting my lunch - kale, carrots, zucchini and white beans cooked with a little bit of olive oil and garlic!) and she said, "Are you going to eat that hot or cold? Does warmness having anything to do with feeling satisfied, do you think?"

Well, good question! Have y'all noticed that either warm or cold food helps you feel fuller, more satisfied, etc.?
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

For me, I haven't noticed but if a meal was a "heated" meal and I ate it cold, it always drove my momma batty
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

One of my issues with the raw food diet, which I'm merging into more and more each day, is I want some things warm, but you know I have the dehydrator i'm still learning how to use lol. You can warm things up...

I guess I'm on the line on that one. I think warm can make you feel more comforted, but yet I've had cold cucumber soup and found that exciting and satisfying.

When I'm sick I want hot soup though...so maybe there is something to the level of warmth versus satisfaction.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

It's all dependent on my cravings...sometimes I just want something warm, and I'll go for soup or reheated leftovers (if it's breakfast or lunch). Other times if I want something cold, the only thing that'll satisfy my hunger is something like cereal with cold milk, or a cup of cold watermelon or cantaloupe cubes. If I'm wanting something cold and eat something warm, it just doesn't hit the spot...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #5  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Hm, interesting. I suppose as a rule of thumb, hot food is a meal and cold food is a snack, for me.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Depends. In the winter I like things warm (I was never one for piping hot), and in the summer, I like things cold. In the summer, I eat all sorts of things cold (or room temp) that are normally warm entrees, including salads of rice and cooked veggies. I also like a lot more raw in the summer. Then when it gets cold, I'm ready for a change.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #7  
Start 8/5/12

S/C/G: 205/138/130

Height: 5'4

My mom was a STICKLER for having us (myself and my brother) eat warm meals. She would never, ever send us with a packed lunch of pb & j from home. She always made us eat the school lunches (which I didn't mind because I liked everything anyways.) She believed we would feel and learn better this way. And this has carried on into my adult life. I truly feel that if I don't eat a cooked, hot meal for dinner, will not end up being satisfied and usually will want to snack later.
CandieRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I totally agree with your boss, I feel that a hot meal is way more satisfying. That's why I've never been all that big on sandwiches. I'll have one for lunch because it's convenient and portable, but a cold dinner?...that's not a real dinner!

Weird though, I don't know why that is.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I generally prefer cold meals myself but sometimes I will crave hot soup or something.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:25 AM   #10  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I do know that if I eating something that is supposed to be warm, because I just heated it in the microwave and the center is cold. I can eat it, but I won't be happy or satisfied. I've found I should just take the extra time to heat it through, no matter how STARVING I feel because on some level it matters.

Paradox: I can decide to eat cold pizza and its fine but if I want to eat the pizza hot, and its not hot enough, then I better reheat it! Does this make sense?
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote