Old 07-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #1  

Default dealing with sweets?

Although I've been trying to reduce sweets in my diet, i can't seem to get away from them! People will bring treats to the office, or offer all kinds of stuff when I hang out with my friends. Or we will go out somewhere nice for lunch occasionally and there's always tons of rich desserts. What do you guys do about finding healthy options when it seems like desserts are everywhere and I can't resist them??
foodie626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 246/See Tracker/145

Height: 5'7"

a good dessert that i love is fat free chocolate graham crackers with frozen cool whip. it tastes exactly like an ice cream sandwich.
daisy5819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #3  

Height: 4'11"

Where I work, it seems like every other day is a “treat day” so I know exactly how you feel! I have a sweet tooth and love my chocolate…so it can be hard to resist. However, the trick to avoiding temptation is planning AHEAD and deciding in advance what you will (and will NOT) be eating. First of all, I bring my own lunch full of fruits and vegetables so I have a healthy option. Usually, I tell myself that if I want a small treat, I need to finish all of my own food first (but not by overeating). Second, drink a lot of water to fill you up.

When I do decide that I am going to indulge a little bit, I have set my own rules:
1. If it’s not “special” – i.e. homemade, I don’t bother with it. Bagels and donuts are simply not an option.
2. Something SMALL, or one bite, is sufficient. (I realize that this leads to disaster for some individuals, but if you can allow yourself a taste without bingeing, it’s a good way to cure a craving.)
3. I only eat it if I am hungry, not just because “it’s there.”

I know it’s still hard, but you need to stay strong! An extra bite here and there can be all it takes to sabotage your weight loss for the week. So plan ahead – that way, you are ensuring your own success.
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #4  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

ooohh that graham crackers/cool whip treat sounds so yummy! Can't wait to try!
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 211/181/140

Height: 5'2"

Another low cal dessert is FF cool whip with raspberries and splinters of dark chocolate mixed in.

Either bring your own (homemade low cal dessert, or even a sugar free jello cup!) or don't go. I had to completely remove myself from the situation until I just didn't crave anymore. "the less you cave the less you crave".
UniquelyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

I`ll have a cappuccino for dessert, and if I really feel indulgent I`ll have Bailey`s in it. :-)
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #7  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

Stella, I love Bailey's in coffee!! This is one calorie counting I have refused to look up, because it's just too good.

It's my favorite weekend ritual - wake up, make coffee with a splash of Bailey's and go for a walk in the sunshine with an audiobook. So far I've kept it to the weekends because I'm not sure how legit it is to take booze to work first thing in the morning
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:58 AM   #8  

There can`t be a lot of calories in Bayley`s Coffee - a normal glass of Bayley`s is around 80, and the coffee does not need milk, cream and sugar if it has something like that in it! So this would make it 80 calories and will not break the diet! :-) AND you are not looking like you are on one! :-)
Old 07-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #9  

Sweets is my vice too!! I can never touch a french fry or hamburger again but Jesus himself would have to force me to stop eating sweets!

One thing I keep in my apartment is a box of sugar free fudge pops. One serving is 40 calories. I count calories so it's easy for me to add this in the mix. I also love chocolate sugar free pudding, little dark chocolate hershey bliss, or the 100 calorie sandwich ice cream things. I find that having some kind of ice cream seems more satisfying to me b/c it takes much longer to eat than say a little piece of hershey chocolate. And b/c I'm not HUGE into eating out, once a week I generally just have whatever sweet I want (and make sure it's within my calories). I find this helps me avoid all the many birthday cakes, cupcakes, donuts, etc. that is in the office daily b/c I know I have something to look forward to.
Deana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #10  

Oh and strawberries and cool whip or another favorite of mine!
Deana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelion View Post
Where I work, it seems like every other day is a “treat day” so I know exactly how you feel!
I know what you mean! My co-workers bring in candy all the time and we literally have a "candy table" where it sits. Fortunately that table isn't near me, or I'd eat candy, like, all day.

And tomorrow my office is thinking about making a trip to The Cheesecake Factory since they have a half-price special on all cheesecakes tomorrow because its National Cheesecake Day. I will probably go, since I love cheesecake, but I think I'm going to try out their Low-Carb cheesecake (they even have a low-carb with strawberries version!). Anyone else share a cheesecake factory weakness?
foodie626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Stella - Don't know where you got your numbers for the Bailey's shot, but I discovered that the 80 calories number listed for a glass of Bailey's on The Daily Plate is wrong, according to the Faq on the product website. I had been using it for a long time, too...

Official Bailey's Website

Everything you ever wanted to know about Baileys ...

Nutrition and quality:
What are the Nutritional Values of Baileys Original Irish Cream?
What are the Nutritional Values of Baileys Original Irish Cream?

The following is the nutritional table for a 1.5 oz serving of Baileys Original Irish Cream:

Baileys Statement of Average Analysis, per 1.5 oz. serving of Baileys Original Irish Cream
Fat: 6.0g
Total Carbohydrate: 10.9g
Protein: 1.2g
Calories: 145
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #13  

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodie626 View Post
I think I'm going to try out their Low-Carb cheesecake (they even have a low-carb with strawberries version!). Anyone else share a cheesecake factory weakness?
It's okay to have a few bites, but I would definitely consider splitting it with someone....those slices pack a lot of fat and calories (their nutrition info is available online). If you're going to indulge, just make sure you PLAN it into your day - eat light meals and get a good workout in!
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post

Baileys Statement of Average Analysis, per 1.5 oz. serving of Baileys Original Irish Cream
Fat: 6.0g
Total Carbohydrate: 10.9g
Protein: 1.2g
Calories: 145
:-( Okay, but when you consider that most other puddings are around 500kcal, it still seems a good deal if you feel you absolutely need one...
Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #15  
Workin' It

Stella - absolutely! I still pour a little in my coffee sometimes, too!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote