Old 07-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/262/120

Height: 4'7"

Default I went for Sushi and wound up at McDonald's

Had a craving for sushi today and decided the 30 minute drive was worth it. Unfortunately, by the time I got there they were closed and I was crazy hungry and couldn't imagine waiting another 45 minutes to eat so I stopped at a McDonald's. (I had dinner at 7pm last night and woke up at 2:00 pm for some reason.)

I couldn't even finish the burger...that was 6 hours ago. I still feel like I just ate and have had....to...ummmm..."use the loo" a few times since then. I've never been a huge McDonald's fan and I don't feel guilty about my venture to the dark side, just...sick.

I have been doing a yogurt for breakfast, some light snack, a salad for lunch, then I come home and have couscous and fish or another salad (sans meat) or roasted veggies for dinner. This is the first time in awhile I've had beef....and maybe the 3rd time this year I've gone to McDonald's.

It's kind of weird how I've grown to prefer the taste of home-made lighter fare than going out to eat. Since I've started bringing my lunch, even the food at the deli downstairs has lost it's appeal (except for their tuna salad which I put 1/2 a scoop on my salad sometimes). We had training this week and I decided to get a soup downstairs - lobster bisque - it was one of my favorites but I found it heavy and overly salty. I much prefer my simple salads with homemade dressing.

Before, I thought making my lunch or cooking an actual meal for just me seemed like a waste of time when I could just have a bowl of cereal...now I'm craving things like beet salad....Who'd have thunk it? Convenience food is a complete turnoff.

I think I'll start carrying carrot sticks or roasted chickpeas (coated in garam massalla mmmmmmmm) with me as a "just in case". They definitely appeal more than the greasy, overly salty burger and fries.

I was curious about what everyone else's favorite carry along snacks are so that you don't succumb to making poor food choices when faced with intense hunger?
Esoterica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #2  
~jus' being me~

Yeah I just cant do that kind of fast food. Those of us who are lucky enough to live in countries with loads of affordable and fabulous fresh food shouldnt ever have to walk into a Maccas (as we call it here lol).

Well done on going with how you FELT while you were eating

I carry a little baggy of brazil nuts with me. I find them really filling and not more-ish like some other nuts.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #3  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

It sounds weird but I carry baked sweet potatoes or grapefruit with me. I find both of these particularly good for my starvin' marvin times (3-5pm --> I just wish I could delete those times from each day altogether!)
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #4  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I had McD's new grilled chicken salad and wow was it good! i got the light dressing and it was perfectly acceptable calorie-wise. The chicken was 'real' if you know what i mean LOL Maybe fast food places are finally LISTENING that people will pay 7$ for a salad if it's yummy. I avoid McDs too, but i also live in the real world and occasionally it's the option that's available, I'm just glad there's another choice besides burgers and fries.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #5  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

WOW, Esoterica, look at you! It sounds like you and your wonderful body are working together in beautiful harmony, with you listening to its gentle requests and providing what it REALLY needs to function at its best. I think your post is one of the coolest NSV kind of posts I have ever read!

ROCK ON!

As for carry-able snacks for emergency eating, the 100+ anti-fat spy network has already come up with a bunch of good ideas, but, here are a couple of thoughts on things you could keep in your desk or your car sort of indefinitely: instant oatmeal (but you need access to a microwave or very hot water), those bags of tuna or salmon, make up little bags with some pretzels or almonds or a handful of a good dry cereal, and for some protein (but a lot of sodium) there is always jerky (not slim jim's but jerky --- and if you make your own, it can be very low-cal...)
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #6  

Danni - Yeah, I agree with you in general, but in today's world convenience is a necessity for some and even some of the healthier choices don't prove to be too healthy.

Kasmin - the sweet potato idea is so awesome. I absolutely love them and they are so chock-full of vitamins. Do you ever cube it and roast them? (I am a huge fan of roasted veggies.)

Trazey - Man, I wish I had gotten the salad instead of the burger and fries. The selection there is crazy now. I almost had a heart-attack when they gave me my total. It was almost the same price for the burger and fries. I'd have rather paid $7 for a salad, especially if I had known it was good.

Numina - Thanks for the compliment, though I have to admit not knowing what an "NSV" is. I love, love, LOVE jerky. Used to make it until my food dehydrator died on me. My friends would actually fight over it.

Ok, I have to run (my house doesn't seem to want to clean itself *sigh*) just wanted to say thanks to everyone for responding!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:35 AM   #7  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

Are the cleaning fairies on strike again?! Ridiculous!

I just wanted to say that reading your post I got a massive sense of "I've been there". I can picture myself sitting in your car staring at the closed sushi store. I can feel the annoyance in not getting what I knew I deserved because the world conspired against me, and then the white hot desperation to eat to feel better. It's a horrible, horrible feeling of being out of control. Here's what I am realising - the white hot desperation comes from my blood sugar being really, really low. It's a true physical need, and that's where carrying healthy low GI food is invaluable. And the eating junk to rebel or get back at the world or because I deserved it..... well, it doesn't help. It just makes me feel physically ugh, and guilty and like a failure.

So try to remember that feeling, so that the next time you feel it, you will know what not to do, and can try a different solution.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 AM   #8  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

This happened to me too today. I slept till afternoon and I was so on track. I'm trying to stay around 1300-1500 calories a day and after dinner I was at about 1250. So even though I wasn't particularly hungry and didn't really feel like it, I decided to "treat" myself to some ice cream (the vegan coconut milk kind?). So usually I'm good and have my 150 calorie serving no problem. But somehow I was watching tv and b4 i knew it, the whole half-pint was gone with all 600 calories consumed. Now I feel sick/nauseous, I'm consumed with guilt, have the same unfortunate toilet situation you're experiencing, and am waiting for the nausea to pass so I can go to the gym before bed to work out some of my guilt. I need to stop making bad decisions.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 07-27-2009 at 01:56 AM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #9  

Couch - I think I'm going to set a trap to catch one of those cleaning fairies tonight. Then I'll chain it up in the kitchen and force it to do the dishes for a week straight. That'll learn em, lol.

Toastedsmoke - That does suck but, I'd try not to feel bad or berate myself if I were you. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and like couch said "...try to remember that feeling, so that the next time you feel it, you will know what not to do, and can try a different solution."

I try to eat ONLY when I'm hungry and use small plates (or fill up 3/4 of my big plate with veggies) and rice bowls for desserts (you know the tiny bowls which only hold about 3/4-1 cup of anything. Hard to over-eat unless you go back for more and you definitely realize what you're doing when you make that second trip to the freezer. There also is some psychological effect for the plate cleaner in me.

What kind of ice cream was it btw? It sounds delicious.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #10  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

It's Purely Decadent (made with) Coconut Milk non-dairy frozen dessert Chocolate flavour. It's in the ice cream section at Whole Foods and its soy-free and dairy free and honestly the best ice-cream I've ever had. But ah well... I'm trying to let go of yesterday and not eating the ice-cream from the carton is actually a really good idea. I'll get some small bowls. I've been meaning to do that. Thanks!!!
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote