Old 07-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #1  
Inspired

S/C/G: 275 / 208 / 135

Height: 5'5"

Default Timing and eating small meals

I'm wondering about the whole times of the day people should eat. I've heard many people say you shouldn't eat after a certain hour, like 7pm. But does it really do you good to go to bed (for example, 11:30 pm) with your stomach aching and screaming at you.

I've tried going to bed on an empty stomach but I find myself rolling around trying to stop the "hungry ache". I tend to sleep in because I work a closing shift and my breakfast is anywhere around 9am to 12am depending when I wake.

Suggestions?
Minya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

I think you should just not try to eat too MUCH late at night, since you don't need that many calories right before you go to bed. Perhaps trying to stop eating by 2 hours before you sleep would be good enough (so long as you're not eating a HUGE amount that late). I mean, calories are calories, and if you keep your daily intake at a decent level, you're not going to gain weight. You might gain it temporarily (your body stores the food at night as fat), but if you're eating less calories EARLIER in the day, wouldn't your body have to then tap into that fat for energy since you're not getting enough calories earlier? So you'd end up burning it then? I just think overall... it's probably not THAT big a deal WHEN you eat, but rather how MUCH you eat.
I personally NEVER punish myself for being hungry. If I am GENUINELY hungry, my body is TELLING me something, and I go eat. However, if it's just "head hunger" (aka cravings), I ignore them until they pass. So I'd say if you are feeling genuine hunger, go eat something small and healthy, like a banana, or maybe something filling, like peanuts. Just keep it small.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:36 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have never followed any of these rules. I routinely eat dessert right before bed. I eat late, too, almost always after 7.

The reason these "rules" came about was to reduce overeating calories brought about by late night snacking. Usually, late-night choices are high calorie and not all that great on the weight loss. But eating calories within your budget late at night? I can't speak for everyone, but it never (ever ever) gave me any problems.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Nope, has never given me problems either. Don't worry about WHEN you eat (in regards to late night eating anyway but do worry about WHAT you eat!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/140/125

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the others - if it's something sensible and healthy, why not? Sometimes when I'm hungry at night I eat a serving of fruit or veggie that I missed in the day.
Ashley82290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minya View Post
I'm wondering about the whole times of the day people should eat. I've heard many people say you shouldn't eat after a certain hour, like 7pm. But does it really do you good to go to bed (for example, 11:30 pm) with your stomach aching and screaming at you.

I've tried going to bed on an empty stomach but I find myself rolling around trying to stop the "hungry ache". I tend to sleep in because I work a closing shift and my breakfast is anywhere around 9am to 12am depending when I wake.

Suggestions?
Have a small snack before bed. No need to go to bed hungry. Personally I do not believe in that rule. Something Oprah's trainer Bob Greene made up.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #7  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I just don't really have a choice. I work jacked up hours, mainly midnights, and eating at night is my normal time. I eat a good 7 small meals a day (and I'm finally losing weight for the first time in my life) and it'll burn off quick, even when I'm sleeping so I'll have to get up and eat some fruit or something to not starve while I eat. *shrug*

My grandma is really adamant about eating before you sleep though.... but I just can't help it. My dinner is about an hour before my bedtime... and after a 13 hour midnight shift? There's no way I can keep my eyes open longer than that....
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 308/244/199

Height: 5'6''

I try to go to bed feeling satisfied. Not full, not hungry. I just try to not eat within 2 hours of when I go to sleep because that time varies as well.
ChristiMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #9  

I've been wondering about this as well. I read in a magazine that you should always make breakfast your biggest meal of the day. They went on to talk about not being hungry in the mornings and suggested that late night eating was the cause. The mag then said cut off eating at 8:00 p.m to help with getting a bigger breakfast in the morning.

thanks for the tips everyone!
loveLauren is offline   Reply With Quote