Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 07-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'-8"

Default 40 pounds gone...but not forgotten

When I was 9 years old I weighed 130 and I was also only 5’2”. The majority of my weight was carried in my waist and I had little self-esteem. As many of you know kids are cruel and especially boys. Everyday on my bus ride home I had to hear “fatty-fatty 2x4 can’t get through the kitchen door” Instead of using this as a reason to eat less, I found comfort in food. I also found comfort in cooking and preparing food. This began my life long struggle with weight loss.
My mother also has weight issues and she never really taught me healthy eating habits or had healthy snack options in our home. I could have eaten less on my own but that option never crossed my mind. My family still to this day celebrates every occasion with food. It is something I have had a hard time working though but finally have recognized that nothing taste as good as thin is going to feel…
At 13 I grew 6” in height and lost weight and looked good. Still not thin but also not over weight. I began to exercise and eat somewhat better. I continued this trend until my first born and then the struggle began again. I sort of went up and down with my weight for the next 11 years.
Fast forward to my 30’s, my 6th pregnancy and my highest weight of 240. I realized that something had to change fast that I was only getting older and that my health and well being could be at risk. My metabolism has slowed, my favorite quote is “you have the metabolism of a hibernating bear going through menopause”, my addiction to chocolate (I have often referred to Betty Crocker as my drug dealer) and my issue with seeking comfort in food was still very evident.
I joined LA weight loss 20 weeks ago and began exercising about 15 weeks ago. This week I lost one pound to bring my total to a weight loss of 40 pounds. I have lost inches but have not measured recently so I will report my inches later. I also use the dailyplate to calculate my calories and keep track of my over all progress. I have been using exercise DVD’s the biggest looser Boot camp and Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I also walk/jog at intervals.
I owe much of my success to 3fc as in a moment of desperation I found this website and instantly became inspired. When I am having a bad day I read the goals and mini-goal stories and it always reaffirms my belief in that I can continue to lose weight and keep the weight off.
To end my long post. On Friday 7-17-09, after more than 20 years in an ironic twist of fate I came upon Alan the person on the bus who sang the aforementioned song. I was involved in a traffic accident (everyone has fine) and he was the officer that responded. I must say that a smile came across my face as I was sitting in my car and at eye level all you could see was Alan’s gut protruding over his too tight pants. It was as if his stomach was testing the buttons of his shirt that if I stared at it to long one might just pop me in the eye. He took my information (making no connection even though my maiden name is on my license) I just sat smiling when he asked if I could manage home ok, I stated I manage just fine and can now easily fit through the kitchen door. He paused, stared at my license and looked as if he had seen a ghost. He apologized ,20 years too late, but it was something….just more motivation to continue
sweetandspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Great story! KARMA! Thanks for sharing
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/162/140

Height: 5'1

That's awesome! thanks for the inspiration!
beccabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #4  
I wish!

S/C/G: 185/136/135

Height: 5'6''

What luvja said...what goes around comes around...and how!!
StringBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #5  
Mom23Boys

S/C/G: 250

Height: 5'8"

what an awesome story. I often look to the posts here for inspiration too, and today, you are that inspiration. Thanks for your post.
Mom23Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #6  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

Many congrats on 40lbs lost! I'm sorry that you were teased, but love that story of karma coming back to bite that meany in his behind.

BTW- I'm a fellow mama of 6.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

Height: 5'7

Congrats and I love, love, love that you said that to him.
amynbebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #8  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

That's an awesome story! You know what they say about karma being a b***h.

Congrats on you loss.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #9  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Congrats on your success and thanks for sharing your story
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #10  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

I am a firm believer in you get what you give, and boy did he get it. Congrats on your amazing journey so far. You're an inspiration! And thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story.
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote