Old 07-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #1  
Sexy Fat Girl

S/C/G: 355/ticker/140-for the moment

Height: 5'7

Default Hi all I have a question (lap band)

Hi, I don't post hear much, I am usually over in the 20somethings, but sometimes its hard for me to ask them questions, since so many of them only have twenty or thirty pounds to loose, and I have about 150-170 or so to lose. I have been over 200 pounds since I was in fifth grade. And very over weight since I was a child. I have never been able to where normal sized clothes in my entire life. I have been on every type of diet known...since I was ten. It always works a little, like 20 pounds, then I just gain back 30...my family is not the greatest with weight loss, my mom is kind of sabotages me all the time...she is over weight as well, but only since she was pregnant with me and my sisters...although her family told her she was over weight for her whole life, and she was not at all, she was like an 8 or so! Well so my long winded story concludes with, I am considering getting the lap band surgery...and I was just wondering what all of you thought, or if any of you have considered it before? I just cant stand it any more...its not worth it, being this large...I need to loose the weight so that I can be a mom, and have children and take care of them properly, and although my weight dose not stop me from doing just about anything...I swim, hike, bike, walk, shop, go to amusement park, fly...I know that sooner or later my body is going to ketch up with me and I will have knee problems like my mom, and my weight is going to become more of a problem...So if you all could give me your thoughts that would be great!!
sharpie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hi sharpie89,

I'd suggest you do a lot more research before you undergo this surgery. Some people have good results, others not so much. It is not for everyone, and it is not a quick fix.

3FC has a forum for weight loss surgery--you might want to ask folks over here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery-78/

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

I don't know if my results are typical, but I got a lap band two Novembers ago. It did nothing. Absolutely nothing. Except it gives me chest pains, and it aches when it's rainy out. All the progress you see on my ticker below was achieved this year, after being tired of waiting for the band to do something. I took matters into my own hands, ate right and exercised, and so far that's working great.

The key you have to remember is that lap band surgery's intention is to make you feel fuller, sooner. That works for some people, but if you're like me and got heavy by ignoring your full instinct, then it's not going to do you much good.

Last edited by Jo Kittibuck; 07-26-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #4  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I considered this once....until I read that 25% of people, the band slips. TWENTY FIVE PERCENT is a huge percentage to just hope it works out. augh. what a pain, so I also started dieting instead and have lost 35 lbs.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #5  
Sexy Fat Girl

Thank you all very much, I had a feeling that the numbers were not that good...I am going to keep going and try to do this the way i am saposed to... am talking with a traditionalist this week so we will have to see what she can help me with...thanks so much!!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I was ONE DAY away from having the surgery about nine months ago. I was doing my presurgical fast when I found out that my insurance was throwing up obstacles and I was going to have to wait six more months.

But, looking back, I realize that I was really dragging my heels all along. I didn't lose weight prior to surgery, I just thought something was magically going to happen AFTER. I was embarassed to talk to people about it. I really had no conception of what my life would be like after the surgery-- I just thought: I want to get thinner, this will help.

After the surgery was cancelled, I gained about fifteen pounds and got to my highest ever weight, and then, one morning I woke up and realized that there was no easy way and I had to do it myself.

Since then, I've changed my eating habits and started exercising.

I'm down sixteen pounds, am already fitting into clothes that I had been "saving" for after the surgery I never had.

It's only now that I realize that there is only ONE WAY to do this-- eat less and exercise more.

I've heard people say "you can't put a band around your head" and I think deep in my heart, I knew I would fail with the band, because I knew my issues were all in my head and not in my stomach.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I totally feel your story. I'm also in my 20s, struggled with my weight from a young age, but I HAVE reached the point of my knees giving me problems and feeling limited by my weight. I have knee problems at 23! So keep your determination to do this now, because as we all know here, it only gets worse when you give up. As far as surgery, of course I've looked into it. How can you get this big and not wonder. But as those above said, surgery doesn't do the work for you, it just helps you along. You still have to change how you eat and exercise more. I've met several people who've had weight loss surgery and hit road blocks in their weight loss because they hadn't changed their lifestyles. After reading up on it (I even wrote a research paper on it in high school), I decided it's probably not the option for me. I can't say "no way; never." If I don't lose weight this time I may look into that route again. But if I have to do all the work I'm doing right now with or without the surgey, then why go through the risks and $$ asociated with WLS? Whatever you decide, just make sure you are commited. Don't ever let yourself forget why you're doing this and what you have to lose by giving up!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #8  
unabashed

I know you said you spend most of your time over at 20 somethings, I think that hanging out with a bunch of people who have so much less to lose than you could possibly be discouraging, give us a shot. We know what you're going through, we are all in those 100+ to lose shoes.

It's just a different challenge altogether.

Hope to see you around the boards!
Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #9  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

sharpie89 -

Yeah your welcome to hang out here we have all ages of people over here... I thought about WLS too (not so much the band but...) because I didn't see anyt other way as I had only small successes in the past, but you know what? I've you've been successful at all even if it's only 10lbs it means you have the know how to do it. It took me a long time to figure it out, but I finally have. I know being close to 300 is hard, but if you start now you can be well on your way to goal by next year.

Like the others said research and research A LOT. Band patients tend to be the most displeased with the amount of weight loss (I think it's less then 50 percent) and there are risks just like mentioned above.

That doesn't mean it might not be the solution for you but you want to be 100 percent sure you've exhausted all your options.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #10  

I too just posted in the 100lb forum yesterday, and I am like you. I am in my 20's and have been overweight all my life, I have adjusted to being fat i.e I know where to shop for clothes that fit me but still look fashionable, people that see me can't even imagine what my real weight is, cause I know how to hide my weight well. I have been able to hang out, have friends, do things I like.

However, lately I have begun to think about the future, getting married, having kids etc, I am in the health field, so I know all the risks of obesity. I have tried every diet and even the Lap band surgery. Yes, just before starting graduate school, I thought having the surgery would be like a magic stick to cure my weight. Unfortunately, the insurance did not cover the costs, and my parents had to pay out of pocket, at the last minute I decided not to go for the bypass, since it was so permanent and went for the lap band surgery.

I was on Jello for the first 2 weeks, and I lost 23 pounds, I probably lost another 20-30 pounds over the next few months because, you can't eat solid food for a while. What I realise now, is I could probably have lost the same amount of weight by doing the diet alone without the surgery, cause since then, I have lost nothing and gained back the initial weight loss and more. The band is supposed to keep you from over eating, but over time, your stomach adapts, and enlarges, so you can eat just like you used to.

So basically, the band was an epic fail, and now I have this plastic foreign object in my body. I have decided to restart my weight loss journey and instead of looking for the quickest way, I am just looking for something I can stick to, something that works for me. I hope this helps, sorry for posting such a long response.

Last edited by oseybaby; 07-26-2009 at 01:47 PM.
oseybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #11  
Sexy Fat Girl

Thank you all very much, I had done a bit of reaserch, and then after hearing what you all initialy said I did reaserch all this morning, I do not think that the lap band will work for me, I think if I keep up with eating healthy, counting my calories, and working out I can do this on my own...I know I can...I have never wanted anything more in my life...I just always seem to hit something in the road. I will do this! I might join WW in a few weeks...but I don't know...I like it a lot but well I have to think about it...I actually LOVE counting calories right now, and even though the scale is not moving I am feeling better...I am so happy I was able to talk with you all, and I am not going to talk with my doctor tomorrow and tell him I want the surgery, I am going to work on this myself...I have lots of time...(I don't do much with myself) so I need to just keep cooking my food, reading the posts on hear, and keep reminding myself that this is for me...I can do it, by myself!!
Old 07-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I'm on weight watchers and my starting weight is almost the same as yours. So hit me up if you need someone to chat with. And I've got a link to my blog to the left under my info.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I started out at about the same weight as you, and am calorie counting too. If you ever want to chat/need help with something let me know!
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #14  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

WW might help with accountability if you feel that would help you. WW works for most people who do it as long as they follow the plan.

You said your not really losing counting calories now... two things... Are you weighing/measuring the food? Sometimes our estimations can be way off, and a few hundred here or there is going to effect your losses. The other thing is exercise. Right now at your size you don't need a ton, but what you do will help SO much. Walking is an awesome way to ease into it. While exercise alone isn't a cure all Ive found that as long as I'm following my calorie plan I lose at least twice as fast with proper exercise.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #15  
unabashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie89 View Post
Thank you all very much, I had done a bit of reaserch, and then after hearing what you all initialy said I did reaserch all this morning, I do not think that the lap band will work for me, I think if I keep up with eating healthy, counting my calories, and working out I can do this on my own...I know I can...I have never wanted anything more in my life...I just always seem to hit something in the road. I will do this! I might join WW in a few weeks...but I don't know...I like it a lot but well I have to think about it...I actually LOVE counting calories right now, and even though the scale is not moving I am feeling better...I am so happy I was able to talk with you all, and I am not going to talk with my doctor tomorrow and tell him I want the surgery, I am going to work on this myself...I have lots of time...(I don't do much with myself) so I need to just keep cooking my food, reading the posts on hear, and keep reminding myself that this is for me...I can do it, by myself!!

A poster had a great quote the other day that said, "I have wanted to quit, but never more than I wanted to succeed" I think that is the right way it was said...anyhow. It's on my fridge and everytime I open that door it's an affirmation and I remember to eat something healthy.

It really is a difficult journey, but not an impossible one.