General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Question Bridesmaid to be (and in a pickle...)

My very dear friend is getting married May of 2010. I'm one of her bridesmaids.

Now, ideally, I was going to work my tail off until the wedding so that I could lose as much of my extra weight as I could. But there's a problem:

I need to order my dress ASAP. Within the next month for sure. The store also told me that (if I go through them of course) alterations could take 2 to 3 MONTHS. Most likely, I'll find someone else to alter the dress so that it can be done in a shorter period of time.

What do I do about the size though? Do I buy the size I currently am (a 14) and just hope it'll look okay when it's taken in and tailored? If I can manage to lose a pound a week (I know, there will be plateaus and other setbacks, but I really consider this wedding a great inspiration and a push that I need.) That will be a 42 pound loss. That's a big difference on my 5' 1" frame.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My options (as I see it) are:
~Buy a size 14, work out, and hope the tailored version looks okay.
~Buy a smaller size (8/10), work out, and get it tailored

Even if I only lose half a pound a week, that's 21 pounds. Still a decent bit.

Worse, the dress has been on sale for about a year, so they think it might be discontinued soon...which is another reason for the rush in ordering it. I can't buy more then one size, it'll be too expensive. I don't know if I'm able to order more then one size and just pay for one. I haven't asked the store (though something tells me they wouldn't be thrilled with the idea).

Please offer me advice?

Last edited by Quiet Ballerina; 07-24-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #2  

Order it the size you are now and have it altered closer to the wedding date. I wouldn't use that store because they don't seem to be very accommodating.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Height: 5'2"

I think I'd order a size 12 and have it altered elsewhere.
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Do not...DO NOT...order the dress smaller than you are. Someone talented at alterations can reduce it as needed, unless there's intricate beadwork or something all over the bodice...the straps can be moved in, the sides can be moved in.

But what if something, Heaven forbid, happens? An injury that forces you to go into maintenance mode? A family emergency that forces weight to the back of your priority list?

ESPECIALLY since you won't be able to buy a dress in your actual size closer to the date if the dress gets discontinued and something DOES happen, buy the dress to fit you today.

Even if the alterations are trickier, you're taking a risk either way...either you're risking that you'll have to take the dress in and it won't look quite normal (and that's if it looks different at all...it most likely won't, the dresses are typically made to be highly alterable), or you're risking that you won't have a dress AT ALL that fits you. Which risk is preferable?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #5  

I think part of the reasoning with the huge length of time required for alterations is because they're one of the only bridal stores in the area, and girls also buy prom and homecoming dresses from them.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #6  

Thanks mandalinn82. You bring up a lot of good points. (and thanks to Sunshine and Cami for their input).

I think you're right. I should just order it to fit me now. You've convinced me.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:49 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Believe me, I get it...my wedding dress was purchased in an 18W (and altered down to fit my size 10 body). I didn't WANT the tag on that dress to say 18W after I worked so hard to lose the weight, but I NEEDED to have a wedding dress, period!

There are talented seamstresses out there, and what you'll pay to get the dress taken in will be worth every penny as you watch them tuck in inches of fabric after you meet your goals. Every. Single. Penny. (it cost me $350...the entire bodice of my dress had to be reboned. Still worth it!)
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Height: 5'2"

Ok, I'd have bought a size 12 unless I asked for advice here. Mandalinn has some good points.
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Let them measure you ( or get professionally measured at a bridal shop ) call in those measurements ( if you don't get measured at the bridal shop the dress is at, and buy the dress that fits you now. It's much easier to take a bridal dress in than it is to add material. In late 2007, I had to be measured for my sisters wedding which would take place in July 2008. I had to order the largest dress they had in stock and listen to the gal tell me that they might have to order more material to add on. I pretty much started getting really serious about my lifestyle change right there. By June of 2008, I ended up having to have the dress taken in, two times. It looked wonderful. Another one my sisters bridesmaids, bought a dress to small, and material had to be added, and the dress looked fine, but the gal who did the alterations said it is much easier to take a dress in than out. Plus, I'd so rather be told a dress has to be taken in than have to add material b/c it didn't fit.

My Vote: Get the dress that fits, work out as planned, get it taken in when the time comes. Good Luck!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote