Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-25-2009, 12:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default caffeine also wash out excess sodium before u go on the scale?

Hey there...

Had a nagging thought in the back of my mind...

Earlier tonight, I had a very nice time at a friend's house... we had Progresso chicken noodle soup with veggies on the side and some coffee for dessert afterward (I opted out on the dessert menu, lol) before popping in a dvd to watch.

I realize my friend was being really sweet by considering my diet and although I know the chicken soup was low in calories (180 for the entire can), the sodium racked up to 940 mg of sodium

It occurred to me as we were drinking several cups of black, plain coffee-- that coffee is a diuretic.

Does coffee also wash out sodium as well? If so, does it take a day or 2 before you see the excess sodium leave your system? I just remembered I have to weigh myself in 2 days, lol.

thanks!

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 07-25-2009 at 12:54 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:18 AM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

coffee tends to bloat me.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I am not a coffee drinker and I don't know the answer to your question.

But I wouldn't be too concerned with what the scale says if you KNOW that you've just consumed a lot of sodium. You were away from home and managed very well to not overspend your calories. Sure it had more sodium then you're used to, but so what. If there is a weight gain - you know it's not fat. In other words - don't let it get to you. Drink lots of water, get back to your "normal" foods and don't ponder it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I'm not sure if coffee washes out the sodium or not but for me, when I drink a cup of coffee, I am running back and forth tinkling all day
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

According to recent research, coffee doesn't act like a diuretic much for people who drink it regularly.

But if you're trying to lose fat in the long term, I wouldn't worry so much about temporary issues, like water retention from sodium anyway...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote