Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:18 AM   #1  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Smile PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ July thread

WELCOME EVERYONE ~ Please join us in our thread: to give support and encouragement; to share ideas, and/or just chat with one another about everyday issues ...

This special thread is for anyone with any kind of physical obstacle and/or challenge like SB, CP, MS, MD, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition (s), whether genetic or acquired (like injuries), that causes some physical limitations and/or difficulties.

HAPPY MONTH OF July EVERYONE

purpleorc
Old 07-01-2009, 03:34 AM   #2  
MSer living healthy

Good morning ladies

It is hard to believe yet another month has gone and we are into July. I am having a spare moment in this weeks busy schedule. I am so glad this is not my normal life style having appointment everyday sometimes twice a day. I am trying to balance this tiring week with going to bed early so to get plenty of rest possible. Also trying to eat healthy as well to give my body the best chance in the health department.

It has been warm here in the UK well we call it really hot . It is not so much the heat that is sapping but the humidity that we are experiencing. So air conditioner has been working in the home during those bad spells. Plus now I have air conditioning in the car it is helpful in there too big time

ROSEBUD I hope you don't mind that I started a new thread this morning but I remembered it was the 1st of July by some miracle So thought I would commence a new thread as I am the first person to experiece the 1 july with my time zone who regular posts on this thread.

Today we are off to Newbury to do a delivery for DH brother so I have packed a healthy lunch for us and for our Rizzie. I have put in some cooked chicken for our Rizzie. I am taking our freezer bags then putting ice blocks in them to protect the food. Plenty of water and coffee for the journey has been made. So no doubt I will want umpteen potty breaks

No further time for any more news but If I have some more time tonight I will drop by and post some more.

I hope everyone is well and thinking of you MEOWEE. VALDINE and RONNI I hope your managing well now the hot summer season is upon us. I hope your managing to keep cool and not feel too drained by it all.

Bye for now ladies and take care

purpleorc
Old 07-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HAPPY CANADA DAY -- to all our Canadian friends out there!!!

THANKS PURPLE ~ for starting up the new July thread -- I don't mind at all! Would you believe that when I posted last night that I even mentioned that today was Canada's birthday and it didn't click in my mind that yesterday was the last day of June as well?

We have had company the last 3-4 days, and been very distracted, so I think that is why it totally flew right out of my head. DH just went with my Dad to get some more stuff from the old farm to take to his cottage. We have had a lot on our mind over the last week.

We were gonna go up town to pay some bills, and then realized that this was a national holiday and everything is closed. So, we didn't get too much accomplished today at all. I just did my weekly and daily chores; and I always clean my washroom on Wednesday mornings each week, but do a check on Saturday mornings (actually, I check it each day when I visit there too).

I will send out a PM to RUTHxxx and ask her to put our thread up into a red sticky at the top of the forum. We've had some bad storms here yesterday and today as well, so I couldn't come on my PC until now. We don't know why, but it rains here almost every July 1st -- so weird ...

Hope you had a good trip to Newbury today, and that RIZZIE is feeling a bit better, and that your DH's mouth is healing up fine as well. I am actually glad to be taking it east today, as I overdid the walking a bit yesterday and my feet needed a rest, and my legs were a bit swollen this morning too.

HI to MEOWEE, and RONNI, and VAL ~ hope you all have a great evening ... ROSEBUD
Old 07-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #4  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ I had planned to post in here last night, but when I put my legs up for a while, I fell asleep and didn't wake up until almost morning again. Well, as DH always says, 'guess I must have needed it.' It has been a bit of a stressful week for us, and I think that has tired me more than usual.

Anyways, the weather is really cool here right now, and I LOVE IT!!! I would rather have cooler weather than that horrible 100+F stuff we had last 2 weeks or so. We are getting lots of rain (seems like our spring finally arrived after all); and that is helping my new flowers too -- I noticed this morning that they are coming up already and we just planted them about 2 weeks ago.

Am doing some laundry right now to pass the day; DH spent a few hours trying to sort out his shed, tossing some stuff and making room for things that matter much more. Yeppers, we're back at tossing again, but I just don't want to keep things that we don't use anymore, might as well let someone else have it or throw it out ... I say.

Yesterday morning, we went up town and paid some bills; then picked up some bird seed bells, as lots of mommy birds are bringing their babies here to learn how to feed themselves. They are funny to watch, as the babies try to feed themselves from a small feeder we hid inside the tree for them, but they end up spilling more than they are eating, just like human babies do ...

Well, DH just quit on his sorting job; decided to have a nap for awhile. Maybe I'll have to go out and supervise after dinner. Think I'll make some kind of roasted chicken for dinner tonight; I got my days mixed up this week, so we ended up having pasta on Thursday night instead of Wednesday, so tonight we will have chicken, or maybe fish of some kind ... hmmm ...

So ... I'd better get going and get things started. Hope you all are feeling well; and that you all have A FABULOUS FRIDAY!!! . Happy JULY 4th weekend to all the US folks here too!

ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 07-03-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #5  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Sorry I missed Canada day so "HAPPY BELATED CANADA DAY" from a fellow chick in the UK. We have no such similar day in the UK to celebrate or a thanks giving day that you celebrate later in the year.

I think after today my life style comes back to normal after a week of hectic schedules that I would not like to experience again in a hurry thank you very much. I have found it draining to say the least but it has not helped that we have had a heat wave in the UK with temperatures in there late 20's which I know to many of you may sound bliss right now as you are experiencing blistering heat. Though for us in the UK they are very unusual so we call it very hot. We are not geared up for hot temperatures with very few of our homes air conditioned on only big department stores tending to have it installed. Though in recent years it has become standard on cars thank goodness.

The busy schedule has made it difficult to drop by here and I have missed it dreadfully as it helps so much in keeping me in check on my weight. Yesterday I went to my parents home then in the afternoon went to a small village just a few miles up the road from them to go strawberry and raspberry picking. I did the raspberry picking though by the time I had managed that I was worn out. So we stopped for a lovely coffee then DH and mum continued on to the strawberry patch. Oh my the heavens opened and they got absolutely drenched to the skin. I felt so sorry for them and heres me in the nice and dry. It was lovely up there in the fields with the songbirds singing their hearts out and the gentle breeze. There is a oak structure built there now to house a café and farm shop. ~Though when I was a child it was only tin hut virtually nothing else. So the business has built up over the years.

Today I have been to the farmers market. I had hoped to get some apple and blackberry jam though the owners said they had now run out of blackberries so no more of this sort of jam until another few months. So I bought tayberry jam to try instead. This evening we are going to friends for lunch so looking forward to that I must admit. This dinner we are having something light but also having some of the strawberries and raspberries picked from yesterday. Most of the raspberries I popped back in the freezer and the strawberries I kept out as they do not freeze so well unfortunately.

DH is a little down in the dumps as is weight is spiralling upwards so he knows he has to knock on the head is sweet treats that he has been having. So I have tried to be supportive and told him of alternatives that I can do for him so it does not seem that he his having nothing. Plus said to him that he could have a monthly one treat to look forward to that would help spur him along. I said I would also not have anything "naughty" either so not to be unfair to him so I suspect my weight may come down a shade with being more on the straight and narrow. It is only 10 weeks today until we go on our holidays to just outside the historic city of York (6 miles outside to be exact) in Yorkshire. It seemed ages away when we booked in December and now it is virtually on top of us in a blink of an eye. DH had bough some new clothes ready for holiday and like he said if he continues on none of these will fit him. I hope the weight drops off him with him being good so that he see something for his efforts. Though I am afraid it is not so easy for him to lose it as me as I have more will power than him.

On Wednesday I went to do a trip for BIL which turned out to be a blindingly hot day and needless to say the van did not have air con so windows full open and I managed to burn my arm a little as I forgot my sun cream. The journey took us South to a place called Newbury. We delivered bean bags a a very large old stately home with a gate house. We were greeted by a lovely kind lady who fussed over Rizzie and was so pleasant. Unfortunately not all customers are so pleasant and kind. This was a pleasure to deliver to. This home was out of this world to me. The tree house was about the size of my bungalow with a thatched roof It must have been a child's paradise this fantasy house with it's design.

ROSEBUD It seems that your life is busy as well as mind at present for different reasons. I hope you have had a enjoyable time with your company. I know time just flies by when you have guests to entertain and cater for.

I hope your stormy weather has gone and you have more clement calm one in it's place. Our Rizzie is back to is normal mischievous self and not bothering about his ear. He has not worn his collar since the first day as he is so much happier without it and is just carrying on as normal without it. We have kept a close eye on him to see that he is not scratching but no attempt as been made. I checked the other day when he was itching his fur so checked for fleas but nofleas found. So came to the conclusion it was just getting rid of his old coat. So he promptly got a shower and then good comb from head to toe. To groom out the hair though this is not so easy on a short haired dog. He was not in the least impressed by his grooming. Especially as I found the best thing to remove the hair was his flea comb

I was reading about your flowers in your garden it just reminded me that I have a couple of poppies in my garden not that I planted I think they must have come courtesy of some birds. So I am going to collect the seeds and plant some more over the garden as they have a nice splash of colour to them.

Just before I sign off I just remembered what day it is today. So may I take the opportunity to say "HAPPY 4TH JULY" to all our fellow chicks in America or wherever they may live or work now. I hope you have a wonderful day and celebration.

No further news from myself at the moment so bye bye for now and take care. I am going to get some rest before I go out tonight.

purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 07-04-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #6  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

happy independance day! and belated happy canada day!

thanks for starting the july thread Purple!

new stuff happening for me this month:

1. I got contacts! I've worn glasses for 20 years. seriously since i was 5. I had to practice touching my eyes for 2 weeks before i could get the contacts in....

I originally showed up at my first contact lense fitting and this complete stranger thought I'd just let her put my contacts in... flashback to strange eyedoctor running tests on me for optic neuritis and not explaining anything when I was 20... I basically jumped out of that entire situation and the person didnt understand why it was SUCH a big deal for me.

2. teleconfrence with my neuro later this month. I'm on the half dose of rebif right now... have been for 3 years. im thinking about going up to the full dose finally. the amantadine has been miraculous for me. seriously miraculous. I have my life back and I can do my job. it's really great.

3. I decided i want to go back to school.. and it works out well if i go in 2011... right before the money im contributing to the municipal government employees pension gets locked in forever. we have a 2 year window of employment that we can quit and put the money in an rsp.. so im using that window as a way to get myself some life timelines...

i may be headed to minnesota to see a friend next month. we'll see! I'm so happy summer is finally here! woo hoo
Old 07-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #7  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had lovely weather here today; nice and cool, with a nice mix of sun and clouds, and a lovely breeze all day. So, we went up to our lot today; didn't get back to 7:30 pm, but it was really nice.

DH got a row and a half of crossbraces done and it looks really good; but he was getting tired, so I suggested we pack it in and come home. We were there later than we expected to be though. We had a nice drive home and everyone else here is fast asleep -- DH and NIKO; all that fresh air, I'm sure ...

HIYA VAL ~ nice to see you drop by; and glad that some of your meds are helping you to feel better. I understand about the some experiences making us jumpy; I went thru difficult experiences as a child and that definitely affected how I reacted to doctors, dentists, and esp hospitals as an adult. What are you planning on going back to school for? Do you know yet? Might as well, while you are young. I went back to college for a second time in my late 20's and got another degree (in commercial business).

HI PURPLE ~ I was pretty sure that you were having a very busy week when we didn't see you for a while. Your trip sounded interesting. Glad that RIZZIE and your DH are feeling better. I can certainly identify with your DH; I am trying to tweak my plan to get my weight to go down some more, but it is a bit of an ongoing struggle. I am trying to cut back on treats, and trying to find healthier alternatives as well.

I have been buying baby carrots and preparing celery sticks and things like that ahead in containers in the fridge to grab and go. I also made a small snack mix of shreddies, raisins, almonds, and banana chips -- all carefully measured out and counted though. Even I make a small error on one day here and there, I am trying to get things down for at least 90% of the time.

I also bought some baby cucumbers this week for salads or by themselves and I really like them. We found a source of lower priced fruits and veggies here in town; a department store has decided to expand their food section -- and the customer is the winner for that.

HI to MEOWEE ~ I hope that you are feeling better and that your doctor has found some clue as to what has been bothering you; hope it is very minor too. Sending up some prayers as well ...

Well, I got in a lot of exercise today (esp for me); I took NIKO for a couple of short walks and then did some grass snipping with my hand shears. I had to take some breaks but I got quite a bit done around my SPIREA bushes; all of them are blooming right now. I then took all the clippiings and put them around our new Crab Apple Tree to help the roots stay cool and damp; that will also help feed it organically too.

So ... my feet and legs are very tired too; time to go put them up and rest for the night. NIce to see you ladies here tonight; take good care and hope you all have a great weekend ... ROSEBUD
Old 07-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #8  
MSer living healthy

Hi fellow chicks

I hope those of you who celebrated the 4th of July had a nice day yesterday. Today has been a big day in the tennis calender for us as it is the men's finals at Wimbledon. I will not spoil it for anyone who may not have seen it. Though for the first time in many years we have had good weather over the 2 week period that it is held.

Last night was the first time I have tried the new regime that the doctor at the hospital wanted me to try for my trigeminial neuralgia. I have been experiencing more pain during the week and I kept a diary to when the attacks where happening. I panned out at about 3 per weeks roughly so the doctor wants me to have 100mg more of gabapentin in the morning and evening. I know that I can not increase that amount yet due to my MS and you have to take things slowly. So I decided maybe the night dose would be the best to start with. Well this morning I found it difficult to get up and slept in very late plus had a rest on the bed this afternoon for another hour. Lets hope this tiredness passes that was brought on by the tablets quickly.

VAL It is so nice to hear from you and what is going on in you part of the world.

I can imagine wearing contact lens for the first time being strange after wearing glasses for so long. I have worn glasses myself for over 24 years and I know the transition for me would be difficult also. I hope you soon adjust and get use to the contact lens.

I can understand that you were very wary of the contact lens being put in by someone else. Especially with your history of the scary journey with optical neuritis and no one explaining what was going on. It is horrid being left in the dark and in limbo land. We know something is wrong but no diagnosis to go with it. I found that the most stressful time for me not knowing what was wrong with me. OK I had a good idea it was MS but need confirmation. The not knowing was worse than finding out the diagnosis of MS. So you were perfectly normal in your reactions even if the optometrist did not understand where you where coming from. Some people have very little empathy for others.

I hope that if you get the full dose of rebif you find the benefit you need from that drug. The amantadine seems to have worked wonderfully for you. I know I find it beneficial when I need it. It is strange to think that it really used as an anti viral drug especially in flu.

I wish you all the best in going back for further education. I think it is a good idea many of us have a better idea what direction we wish to take our lives in by that time. So are able to take the right degree or qualification we needed. In my 20's I trained to be an NVQ examiner. In the UK you can work and also gain this NVQ qualification in different levels. It is not just in nursing but you have to show that you have different skill levels and able to do certain tasks correctly. I then went on to get a nursing diploma when I was in my 30's. I loved this study as it was what I wanted to do.

ROSEBUD Well DH and I are into day two of being on plan. We have eaten vegetarian all day today. DH has had two days on the trot doing a 2 mile walk so he has done well. I know it is hard staying on plan when there are so many temptations in the way. We had a lovely meal at friends last night but it was healthy. She did chicken wrapped in bacon stuffed with garlic, onions and peppers. Oh boy was it nice so tasty. We had butternut squash soup for starters and fresh fruit salad to start with.

Sounds like your DH is coming on with the work at the cottage your doing a grand job supervising

It is good that the shop has expanded it range of vegetables. It is good as you say for the customer. Especially in the day and age when money is tight and we work on a budget. Plus we know that eating healthy food like vegetables are good for us.

No further news here just awaiting DH coming back from his sisters whom he has gone to see to here crashing PC. Not sure what is causing the issue but I will find out later when he arrives home if he finds the route of the problem.

bye ladies and enjoy the rest of the weekend. Take care

purpleorc
Old 07-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #9  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had a nice restful day today. We woke up to sprinkles, so we both decided this would be the perfect day to take a complete rest after doing so much yesterday. Boy, were my muscels ever sore last night and this morning, but once I got going, they started to feel a bit better. Just my left shoulder acting up a bit, must have overdid the clipping a bit for that shoulder; hopefully in a couple of days, it will be OK ...

Well, I wanted to get some exercise, so I have been pushing myself a bit; PUSHING THRU THE PAIN, that is. I told myself self to ignore the pain and just take more rest, which is what I did. I got out my metal folding chair and put it nearby and took a rest whenever I needed to.

Had a good OP day today; had lovely roasted chicken with lots of roasted veggies tonight for dinner (sliced onions, celery, carrots, green & yellow beans, turnip, small red new potatoes, and a few green onions too). It was all very yummy and totally filling, I must say. We had a small l/f yogurt ice cream cone for dessert (just now as snack really). I'm very glad to notice that the inside of my stomach is shrinking; now we just have to get the rest to shrink too.

PURPLE ~ good idea to try a vegetarian day here and there; I think anything is worth a try to mix things up a bit. Some days, we eat meatless meals; and on others, I try to hold the grain & starch carbs a bit lower than usual (but I try not to go under 3 servings a day for health reasons). Hopefully -- something will work eventually. I am really trying hard to stick to plan better: EAT LEANER & CLEANER & MEANER -- this my new motto for the next while.

Anyways, DH is playing his stereo and playing ball with NIKO right now; and I spent some time doing research on the net. Looking for tips and stuff like that; more easy exercise ideas that I can do here at home. Reading succesful stories in the goal sections really inspires me; love reading their stories ...

Anyways, it's time for tea, not much else to report really. Then will put my legs up and do a puzzle and maybe some letter writing to family as well. HOpe you all are having a wonderful restful Sunday; take good care ... ROSEBUD
Old 07-06-2009, 04:40 AM   #10  
MSer living healthy

Hi and good morning fellow chicks

It is a grey day which at the moment feels pretty cool out there after all our really hot days. Today Auntie Cath and Uncle Ray my DH Auntie and Uncle are arriving in the UK from Cyprus for a holiday. If my DH sister is unable to go to the train station to collect them then we are the back up plan to collect them from the train station. Not sure which route they have taken this year as normally we pick them up from the local airport on the Leicestershire / Nottinghamshire / Derbyshire border. This airport as you see is on the borders of many counties. For many many years it was known as East Midlands airport (and still is by many to be honest) A little while ago they changes name to Nottingham East Midlands Airport which was a controversial move seeing as it lies so close to other counties. Plus here in Nottingham we already have a small airport for light air craft called Nottingham airport. Why was the name changed in the first place I hear you ask ? The name was changed to help foreign travellers to the UK know where abouts it was in the UK. Most were found in a survey to not know the region of the East Midlands yet they were able to identify with Nottingham.

Last night unfortunately for the first time with my condition trigeminial neuralgia I am having pain on eating. Maybe might be a good thing I might lose more weight Though on a serious note it is very painful to have this pain shoot right up the left side of my jaw. I know that reading about this condition this may happen for some sufferers though I had never had experience of this up to now. I hope it goes away quickly as it very unpleasant. Partly connected with this condition my increase in medication I have taken my extra tablet this morning as tomorrow I have to be up early and I think that would be impossible with my new regime at present. Last night was more successful with taking it at 8pm I have got up around my normal time. Yesterday with being in cuckoo land I forgot to take something out for dinner today from the freezer so I have taken it out this morning and having it for tea tonight. So I will swap our meals around to adjust.

ROSEBUD It is important to have rest days especially if you push yourself a little whilst doing exercise. This gives our bodies time to adjust to the rigours of exercise and time to repair the micro tears we all give ourself during this time. Like you I do push myself a little out of my comfort zone other wise I would do very little. Though normally on completing my exercise I feel so much better afterwards as my mood is elevated. OK I might ache a bit afterwards but nothing a bit a rest wouldn't put right. I think there are more of us who don't really like exercise than do. So I always have to put the effort in but it is rewarded afterwards with a good diet on the scales.

Talking of scales my DH has got it in to his head that he wants to lose 10lbs before his holidays even a stone which is 14lbs. Considering our holidays is only 10 weeks away I do not want him setting himself up for a fall if you know what I mean. We both know how fickle weight lose can be your up one minute down the next as your body adjusts to the rigours of daily living. I have not tried to put a dampener on his enthusiasm but tried to explain it may not happen this amount of weight loss. If it does all well and good but if it doesn't then don't give up. He is fast approaching the 30 mark on the BMI scale I know for me it was the point when thing slowed right up and I found losing weight much harder as I approached that all important 24 on the BMI scale which says I have a healthily body weight for my height. I think I have something like 21lbs to lose to get to that point. Though I am realistic and think I might not achieve it with having MS and plus not being able to exercise like I should for someone of my age.

You have some really great ideas about healthy food regime that we take. Firstly the motto of yours EAT LEANER & CLEANER & MEANER is such a clever mantra and ethos to live by. Yes I think it is good to have days of meatless fayre on the menu. My friend and her husband eat many days in a row of vegetarian meals. Not that she is vegetarian or vegan. No she does it for one other reason to keep her cholesterol level within normal range. She is so inventive when it comes to this and creating vegetarian meals. Doing dishes I can never dream up in a million years I don't know how she does it She doesn't use a cook book as her guide either. One thing I know she frequently does it goes down the aisle which have foreign food. Here in Nottingham we have a large Asian population so supermarkets have cottoned on to sell the foods that they want. The other community that settled here after the war was the Czech and the Polish community. So food that they grew up with is popping up in supermarkets and market stalls. So my friend tries out all sort of beans, meats etc

When I began my journey of weight loss I did as much research on the internet as possible. This was based mainly on food and recipes that were healthy. So I have gleaned a whole host of information over time which I have found invaluable. The stories of success are great motivators especially of those with the amount of weight I have to lose. It shows me it can be done with will power and more importantly the knowledge of a healthy diet. I know it is not going to be done over night as I did not put the weight on over night but over years and years of poor diet.

Well not much more to tell at the minute so I will go and tackle the breakfast pots. Till tomorrow ( well hopefully as it is my treatment day so not much time) or next time tara and take care

purpleorc
Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #11  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well, the day started out with drizzle but by this afternoon, the sun came out and it was lovely until this evening; and it's pouring out there right now.

Both DH and I were busy today; he sorted out a shed and picked up a load of wood and a few of our things from the old farm. He emptied one shed today and has one more load of wood left to bring to our lot, so he is doing very well. I stayed home with NIKO and did more laundry (as I let some go by while it was crazy hot) and housechores.

I also made a big pot of homemade, meatless, chunky vegetable, tomato sauce for my MEATLESS MUSHROOM & ZUCCHINI CASSEROLES. I made 3 casseroles and 2 lunch dishes, to put some in the freezer. We had one for dinner, and DH loved it. I'm winning him over in the meatless meal department -- finally ... We've decided to have Monday for our Meatless dinner; who knows, more may be coming in the future too.

It took all day just to get all those things done and my legs were getting very tired; I also had my shower and did my hair (my hair is long and it takes many hours to dry too). So after I post, it's time for a rest and to put my leggs up again.

HI PURPLE ~ sorry to hear that you are having more of those pains in your face; hope that doesn't last too long for you. I could see your DH losing 10 lbs in 12 weeks if he is diligent with sticking to his plan and walking regular. As you know, I hit a wall there for awhile, but it is finally moving for me. I will have to weigh myself again soon -- just wanted to wait until my adjustments have time to kick in. I'm most grateful that I'm not gaining; now I'm working on losing some more.

Yes, thanks to ROBIN HOOD, most of the world notices a place called NOTTINGHAM right away; might as well take advantage of the publicity from all those movies and shows. Sherlock Holmes was quite popular too, but I think he mostly stuck to London proper ...

Hope you have a wonderful visit with your DH's aunt & uncle from Cyprus; nice that they are coming all that way to visit in person. I know that you write to them quite often.

Yes, like you, I have to have rest days in between doing lots of stuff; I am now convincing DH of the benefits of one day on and one day off. He isn't so tired and sore now -- he is finally seeing the benefits of resting every other day or so. He used to get so tired and sore that he would be irritable and grumpy, but that has changed for quite a while now. He is a lot more contented these days and it shows.

I'm glad you like my new motto -- EAT LEANER, CLEANER, AND MEANER! I put all these things on stickies on my PC, so they help to remind me each day. I also have a sticky that says ... DON'T SABOTAGE ME! And, NO JUNKY FOODS! Also, STAY THE COURSE and KEEP ON, KEEPIN' ON! I find this helps me and I like to find as many tips that work for others that might help me too. Hope you get to your treatment tomorrow as well.

Well, that's all the news for now; take good care of yourselves ladies and hope you have a TERRIFIC TUESDAY ... ROSEBUD
Old 07-07-2009, 02:31 AM   #12  
MSer living healthy

Hi ladies and good morning

I am up with the birdies this morning as I am going for my treatment today and it is the other side of town. So we have to leave early in order to get there as we hit the tail end of the rush hour traffic.

At the moment it is grey and overcast and feels quite chilly. Rain is forecast for today so I do not think it is going to get much better than this today in the weather department. With the exceptionally hot weather we have been having we could do with the rain as the gardens are in need of them. Those gardens with bedding plants in them have had to water morning and evening in order to keep them alive. The gardens are looking very colourful now the bedding plants are in bloom and hanging baskets are in full swing.

Tomorrow is our shopping day then we are eating a meal out with our Auntie and Uncle as a whole family. So there will be in the region of 20 of us I would imagine merging on this pub for our evening meal. Will try and pick something healthy as possible tomorrow. I will eat lighter as well in order to pull back a few calories ready for the meal.

ROSEBUD The courgette (our word for zucchini ) and mushroom casserole sounds yummy Glad your winning your DH over slowly with your vegetarian creations. Last night I made a chicken / carrot (chunky) lemon and ginger sauce for today. So all I have to do is reheat then serve with some brown rice. I have used carrots as I have much less meat so it is kind of half and half. Would have liked it to be fully vegetarian but it is shop day tomorrow and short in that department on vegetables and beans. I would have preferred butter beans or mixed beans to make the dish.

I have to wash my hair tomorrow as I am going out as I mentioned earlier. So like you it takes hours to dry with being long. I hate to use hair drier on my hair as it dries it out and it becomes brittle. I have not used a hair drier now for getting on for 15 years or maybe more. My hair is in much better condition since I ditched the hair drier.

Yes Nottingham is famous for Robin Hood as you mentioned so hence most people have heard of that name for that reason. Sherlock Holmes resided in London as you said. Another famous thing for Nottingham is the ice dancing couple Torvill and Dean whom won a gold medal in the winter Olympics with the infamous perfect score.

Good idea to have notes on your PC to keep you on track and away from the junk. I have 3fc as my homepage on my PC so as I open it up it reminds me daily to stay on track and be good.

Well I must run and finish getting ready for treatment till tomorrow bye bye

purpleorc
Old 07-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #13  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we decided to do our shopping and pay some bills today as the weather was too wet for anything else; funny thing is that, it has now stopped and the sun is shining right now. We really needed the rain as some of my trees were lost becuz of a lack of rain this spring. I'm so glad I bought all those spirea bushes; they are all blooming and thriving; and it was a good thing that I did plant so many trees, as it just takes one short period of drought to wipe out smaller fragile trees.

We picked up lots of fresh veggies and some meat. I am trying something new this month -- chicken burgers. They only have 7 grams of fat in eat patty, so we want to try them and see if we like them or not. We already like the jumbo chicken dogs (DH's favorites) and get them whenever we can. Sometimes, it is hard to get them; so in the summer, we try to stock up for the winter months.

So our day was pretty much taken up with shopping; we went to two stores and then paid some bills. Our hydro bill still hasn't came in; not sure why they are so late this month; I know they did a reading though. Hope they send it in time for the due date; I usually have all our bills paid by this date each month.

We had a slimmer kind of Italian sausage with beans for dinner tonight; made by the same man, but they are just slimmer in size. I also had some of my celery sticks, baby carrots, tomatoes slices, and baby cukes along with that. Boy, they sure fill you up; they cost a bit more, but they are well worth it. I had leftover casserole for lunch today.

So I got lots of walking in today and did quite well, I thought, but my feet were getting sore by the time I got home; I'm sure I will feel it tomorrow. They are predicting good weather for tomorrow, and DH is hoping so that he can go to the lot tomorrow and get some more work done on that floor. He is quite anxious to get that done. I'm gonna check the forcast and maybe make up some sandwiches tonight just in case so we can get an earlier start on the day.

MEOWEE ~ we are all thinking about you; prayers ascending too. Hope you are feeling better soon.

to VAL and RONNI and, NUMPSTER and her DH, and ROSEY49 from Alaska ... hope you are all well ...

Well, that is about all the news from here; hope all you ladies are having a great week. Do take good care of yourselves and have A WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY!!! ROSEBUD
Old 07-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #14  
MSer living healthy

Good afternoon Ladies

Little bit better on the weather front here today we have seen a little sunshine Though rain is forecast for today also Had to laugh last night I was drying off my umbrella in the shower. The shower is a big walk in one suitable for a wheelchair user. Well our nosey Rizzie decided to investigate this strange "thing" in the shower. He went sniffing and got closer to the umbrella and touch it in the process. On touching the umbrella it rocked slowly and moved onto another spoke. Well Rizzie jumped backwards on all fours. Though is curiosity streak in him pushed him to investigate further. So gingerly he crept forward to see what this "strange" object was. If I touched it he shot backwards and started barking as if to warn me. Oh dogs can bring you such a smile on your face by their antics they get up to.

Went to play cards last night but did no good though Dad got in for a prize as he did well first half but not quite so well second so did not get first prize.

There is a programme on television that I watch when it is on. Mainly as I love cookery and history. This programme each show takes an era then the two presenters eat the food for a week of that era. Plus guests come to the programme maybe due to their knowledge of that period to par take in a meal with them. This week it was the time of the French revolution. I must admit they are very brave people with the things they try which are totally alien to us. I am willing to try new foods but there is a limit to what I would eat. Some of the foods look positively revolting to say the least though on the other flip of the coin others look yummy

ROSEBUD Here in the UK nearly all of the bills one has to pay are cheaper if you do them by direct debit. Not sure if is a term you are familiar with all it means that they take the money directly out of you account on a designated day. You can choose to pay monthly as well for easier budgeting as we do. It also stops the hassle of having to go and pay them individually. It is much better for me on another level as my memory as holes in it like a sieve ( due to the MS unfortunately)

I picked up another new copy of the ABLE magazine which comes out bi-monthly and it has another interesting article on Spina bifida from a man somewhere around our age who has the condition. He is mainly a wheelchair user and has some impairment to the hands as well. It talked about the difficulty in getting employment. Though this gentleman concerned now has a post and has had for 5 years working with people with learning disabilities. This magazine has some super articles in another that caught my eye was canine partners. This was about dogs for disabled and there was a picture of a dog retrieving a can of food from a supermarket. The website for this canine partners is http://www.caninepartners.co.uk/ It never ceases to amaze me how clever dogs are and their ability to learn complex tasks.

Chicken burgers you have purchased sound yummy not to mention the chicken hot dogs. It is good that companies are slowly cottoning on to the fact we want things in white meat which reduces the fat considerably and the calories. I have bought some turkey sauces to try as well as I thought they would be much healthier than the traditional pork ones.

Today I have bought numerous tins of different beans in brine. Not that I use the brine I wash that very throughly off and use the beans itself. So I have a low fat chili sauce that will go nicely with that for a meatless meal. DH liked the reduced meat lemon and ginger I made yesterday in actual fact it sand it was wonderful meal Did a healthy dessert of raspberries and stewed apples with yoghurt.

I am holding off on the dinner today as late as I can as we are going out for a meal tonight at 6.30pm so it will not be at least 7pm before we eat. We are having fresh fruit salad with a salad / ham cob for dinner when I do serve it.

I will have to close I am starting to experience bad numbness in my left hand. I know it will pass but it makes typing difficult and I have enough trouble in spelling as it is with out anything making it gobbledegook

Though finally before I leave I will say hello to all the posters on this thread MEOWEE, VAL,RONNI and, NUMPSTER . Thoughts and prayers especially Meowee during this bout of illness.

bye for now ladies and take care

purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 07-08-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #15  
Rosebud

PURPLE ~ here's that recipe for the Mushroom & Zucchini Casserole. I put my chopped mushrooms right into the sauce to make it simpler.

SAUCE INGREDIENTS: simmer for 1-2 hours to desired consistency.

4-6 x fresh tomatoes, chopped
28 oz can diced tomatoes (4 cups)
14 oz can tomato sauce (1.5 cups)
7 oz can tomato paste (1 cup)
1 cup water, or more, as needed (+ 1/2 cup later)
1 chopped medium onion
6 x sliced green onions
2-3 sliced celery stalks
8 oz sliced mushrooms or more (1/2 lb or 225 grams)
1/2 cup chopped sweet green peppers
1/4 cup minced green olives and/or juice, opt
1 tsp onion powder
1-2 tsp black pepper
2-3 garlic or 2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbl onion soup mix
1 tbl fat-free beef soup base
1 tsp oregano leaves
1 tsp basil leaves
1 tsp thyme leaves
2 tbl parsley flakes

PLUS Casserole Ingredients ...

2 x thinly sliced zucchini (or dice & cook in sauce)
3 x cups pasta of choice, cooked & drained
340 gram pkg shredded skim mozzarella cheese
24 pkg thin L/F cheese slices OR (cottage or ricotta cheese)
Parmesan or Romano for top
salt & pepper, to taste

METHOD -- cover bottom of casserole dishes with chunky tomato sauce; then spread 1 cup cooked pasta & more sauce (about 1/2 cup, or as needed to cover); cover with cheese slices & then zucchini & then sauce; then more cheese slices and 1-1/2 cups more cooked pasta. Top with more sauce, then sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan. You can decorate top with any
remaining zucchini. Bake at 375 F for 45 minutes; let sit 5 minutes before serving. Serves 2-4 persons each casserole.

This made 3 casseroles (1 each: 1 qrt, 1.5 qrt & 2 qrt) + plus 2 x individual lunch dishes which can be heated in the microwave. Put 2 in freezer for another day. If for more people, make only 2 x 2 quart casseroles instead.

This is a creamy and very yummy casserole, but you can sub the cheese slices with low-fat cottage or ricotta cheese if desired, but it will change the flavor a bit (and you would need a large container). The method is similar to Lasagna and you can use any kind of pasta you want in the casserole including lasagna noodles (rotini, elbow, egg noodles, fusilli, and Kraft dinner type pasta; or use whatever you have on hand).

This is a very versatile recipe; it is also easy and economical. If you are in a hurry, you can just use any chunky-style tomato sauce you have on hand; this will speed things up a bit for you as well ...

Enjoy ... Rosebud (will be back later for my daily post)

PS ~ if you wanted to make individual servings; this would make several + single servings to put in your freezer for lunches or a quick supper.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 07-08-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Closed Thread