Old 07-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #1  
Reached Goal Sept 11/09

S/C/G: 228/135

Height: 5'4"

Smile A year from now, you'll be glad you started today

One year ago today, I stepped on my scale and saw the proof of what I already knew was true. Still, it was shocking to see the highest number I have ever seen on the scale: 228 lbs. I swore, the last time, that I would never be above 200 lbs again. And yet there I was. Fat. Lethargic. Depressed. And now, disgusted with myself.

The only reason I stepped on the scale on July 22, 2008 was the fact that I had a plan. I was going to try this Weight Watchers plan that had worked for my mother – and this time, it was going to work. I didn’t like living this way. I felt uncomfortable and ill at ease. Especially around people I had never met before. I had little desire to go out with friends or with my husband. I was unmotivated and spent my life watching TV and eating. My husband and I rarely had sex, partly because I was embarrassed about how I looked, and (although he will not admit this to me) partly because my husband no longer found me physically attractive. In September, I was about to embark on a new chapter of my life – graduate school. And, by God, I was going to be thinner when I got there.

And so I began. I didn’t eat a super healthy diet right away, but I did manage to write down what I was eating and stay within my points. I started exercising on the third day – walking on the treadmill at what I thought was a very brisk pace (of about 2.3 miles per hour ). I was slow, but I was moving. And, more importantly, I was proving I could exercise and not die.

I set up mini-goals for myself – lose 15 lbs by my anniversary (done!), lose 20 lbs by the start of school (done!) and many others. I also decided to break my weight loss into 10% mini goals – this is how I decided on my goal weight of 134 lbs. It’s five 10 percent blocks from where I started. So, my goals were 205, 184, 166, 149 and 134. So far, I have reached four of those goals.

I found exercise that I could commit to – some I love (hot yoga and swimming) and some I like (weight lifting and hiking) and some I am learning to like more (running). Speaking of swimming, I now own two bathing suits! For years, I have not even owned one!

I have struggled, cried and rebelled during the past year. I have eaten food I didn’t even really want just to prove that I was still allowed. I have stopped exercising for a few weeks once or twice. I have worried about eating at restaurants. I have obsessed about the scale. I have developed a group of women at my school with whom I exercise and talk about life. I love these women. I have wanted to quit – but never more than I wanted to succeed. I have forgiven myself. Not only for the small struggles along the way, but for not caring about myself enough to do this before. I have found a whole new person inside of me – and I love her.

Today, I run and dance and laugh and play. I eat food that I love in portions that will only nourish me and make me stronger. Well, most of the time, anyway. My depression has lifted. My husband can’t keep his hands off me. I have so much energy, I am constantly thinking of new things to do to fill what little spare time I manage to wrestle out of my day. (hmm... maybe wrestling? )

Oh, and I lost 85 lbs.

Heather
MrsWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

CONGRATS! This is amazing and inspiring. Thank you!

I love this quote:

"I have wanted to quit – but never more than I wanted to succeed. "

I will keep that in mind!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #3  
video game junkie

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

That was just what I needed to hear today.

Thank you for the inspiration!!
Lissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #4  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

Your story is very motivational, thank you so much for sharing.

I don't know what it's like to have a year of success, only what it's like to look back and wonder why I DIDN'T change my lifestyle a year ago. I'm tired of that, so hopefully, in a year I can know what it's like to actually be proud.

Congrats on reaching your goals, I'm very happy for you!
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #5  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Actually, I just put this pic: http://www.trackdiet.com/img/weight_loss_scale.jpg with your quote....on a word doc and printed it out and put it on my fridge.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #6  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I'm so glad I read this post today. I've been having a pretty discouraging evening and this really was a nice pickup. I'm going to bookmark this so I can go back to it later!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #7  
restarted

S/C/G: 233/229/175

Height: 5'7"

Thank you for posting this!
Coffee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

You are so right!

One year can make a HUGE difference (it was an 85 lb. difference for me too )
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #9  

Height: 5ft6'

*tear. You made me cry like a baby. Because it is all so true and genuine and speaks to my heart. A year from now I WILL be glad I started this and I will be so proud.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #10  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

Congratulations, and thanks for the inspiring post.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #11  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Amazing! Congrats
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Heather,

Your story inspired me. I am starting my own weight loss journey tomorrow; your post could not have come at a better time. Congratulations!

Last edited by LotusMama; 08-14-2014 at 06:32 PM.
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Thanks for that Mrs Wolf. I've been feeling anxious and impatient today. It's good to be reminded of what I have to look forward to
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #14  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

You are where I want to be, girl! What an amazing job! Thanks for posting your story and congrats on your awesome success!!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #15  
*~Beautiful Hope~*

S/C/G: HW: ~200 SW: 170's/150's/115

Height: 5'6"

You are an amazing woman and I hope to be as successful as you have been in totally transforming my life in a year. Your post is one that I will be re-reading when I am having a tough time and in need of inspiration. Thanks so much for posting your story. I really needed to read that today.
EsperanzaBella82 is offline   Reply With Quote