Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default I don't want to eat [rant-ish]

I'm not hungry. I have no appetite. I've been force feeding myself for 3 weeks now.

Baby and I are breastfeeding. That makes me nauseous [no idea why].

I'm on Zoloft [again] for post-partum depression. That kills me appetite.

I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night for the last week. I think my body is shutting down.

All food looks terrible. All food smells terrible. And, today, I just can't bring myself to force something down my throat [aside from the couple butter cookies and Rainier cherries I munched on while waiting on hold].

Went outside and did some yard work for my mom. I thought, maybe, getting fresh air and exercise would help it along. I'm well past the "hungry" point, apparently. The more I did, the more light headed and nauseous I became.

I know I need to eat, or else I won't make milk for baby. I also know that I WANT to eat [because this light headed feeling is driving me insane].
But the very idea of putting food in my mouth is making me sick, even as my stomach consumes itself. I'm almost tempted to run out and buy a big rack of BBQ ribs - they seem to be the only food I can always stomach.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/200/145

Height: 5'7"

Hon, doctor...go see. SOOOOOO not normal. Seriously. D O C T O R.
sexybak96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #3  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

Good for you for getting help with the PPD. I think you might need to go back to the doctor for some more help though, maybe an adjustment in meds or counciling? Are you getting the help you need around the house and with the baby? Maybe you just need a little "me" time. Can you pump and store up some milk and take an afternoon for yourself? Maybe a massage, manicure and a long soak in a hot tub is in order.
Also good for you for getting active, even if it's just a little bit. I used to work in labor and delivery as a nurse and our midwives always promoted a lot of slow long walks (if you're able to - the lack of appetite may cause problems) to help recovery from delivery - mentally and physically.
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #4  
Paleo-ish Girl

I already have. I saw her a week and a half ago (2 weeks after we started the Zoloft). I told her ALL this then! Her response "It will get better at about 6 weeks." That's 2 weeks from now. Not liking that answer, I called back and spoke to another doctor [there are 5 OBGYNs in the practice]. Same response. Talked to the pharmacist. Same response. Talked to my friend who's a nurse. Same response. I finally gave up and realized I wasn't going to get the answer I wanted.

I spoke to a lactation consultant about the nausea during breastfeeding. Was told that it happens to some women and there's nothing that can be done [aside from not nursing].

But, yes, I know it's not normal. It's very uncomfortable, too. I've been eating light things [cherries, melons, spinach, etc] every 2 hours just to keep my blood sugar up. It's "better" than it was for the first week [when I realized I wasn't taking in more than 600 calories per day]. I'm just kind of annoyed, though...
Old 07-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #5  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

I don't have much advice to offer but I'm glad you're somewhat better. I hope you feel better soon. Off topic but I wanted to congratulate you for baby Elijah! It seems like yesterday you announced your pregnancy. How time flies!
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #6  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

I donīt have a clue about having a baby or breastfeeding.....

But I know that "All food looks terrible. All food smells terrible" thing. I have it again and again...up to a point where I only ate specific food and couldnīt smell milk, cream, meat, fish without having to throw up.

I think in my case it is due to meds. I have to take a lot of meds because of Bipolar II and chronic neuralgic pain. It started after taking Cymbalta (a newer AD). Now I take a anti. seizure meds, something to relax the muscles and Lithium. A few weeks ago I had a severe phase of troubles with eating (fortunately the only food I am able to eat then are sweets...good for my weight). But itīs better now. In my case itīs only a very unpleasant phase.

Speaking of it: I smelled roasted chicken outside the supermarket today. Was very close to throw up.

Was that helpful for you...No, I donīt think so. Sorry.
Kate109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

At the risk of getting flamed....go get some ribs.

Sometimes if I eat the only food that sounds good no matter how bad for me it is, it gets me past the nothing looks edible stage. The less I eat, the more nauseated I become and the more my stomach becomes touchy. This is especially true for the nausea/bf connection

Nausea and breastfeeding -

Hang in there this also usually goes away in a few weeks (sheesh)
Try to eat something before nursing. Starchy carbs often help. For others fattier proteins like cheese help
If you had morning sickness, do whatever was most useful then. For me it was cheddar cheese and icecream
Try nursing lying down - the nausea is related to oxytocin release and can cause light headedness
Drink more than you think you need to, this sometimes relieves the nausea. Your thirst mechanism may be "off"

Last edited by ennay; 07-22-2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: apparently just thinking of a new baby destroys my ability to spell.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #8  
Yoyo Master

S/C/G: 182/175/130

Height: 5'5"

I agree, eat the ribs.
Alright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If there is only one thing appetizing, you need to eat it. THis isn't a permanent situation. This is a 2-week solution to a time-limited problem. Solve the problem however you need to for that timeframe, then transition back to more healthy eating patterns as your nausea subsides.

I'm with ennay - If I get nauseous and I DON'T eat, I get more nauseous. On and on it goes. Not to mention, you have a baby relying on you for food right now, and you have GOT to get some nutrition in your body to be able to provide that. If it's ribs, it's ribs.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #10  
WaLk-iT-OuT

S/C/G: 179/160/125

Height: 5'3"

I agree with them ... get the ribs! Your body is recovering, and you need all the nutrution/vitamins you can get. I'm not saying binge eat (you dont have an appetite anyways) but maybe put off restricting your cals (or whatever it is your doing) until you start feeling better!

And hang in there with running on like NO SLEEP ... I went thru the same thing and felt delerious half the time. Not sure if this is your 1st baby, but if it is, just know the sleep thing WILL get better! Take care
misspiggy408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #11  
Paleo-ish Girl

Thanks ladies. I don't remember what I ate for lunch...I'm pretty sure I ate something. Right? Ojeez. I'm still contemplating the ribs.

This isn't my first. I have 3 older girls, so they're a handful. I remember to feed him. I remember to feed them. I remember to feed hubby. But I seriously can't remember if I ate lunch this afternoon.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

hugs! you are going through so MUCH...I agree eat the ribs--even if you are nauseous starting out. I always feel better if I eat something even if I am nauseous. Plus you need energy with all that stuff going on!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #13  
Baby Stepping Along

I agree with eating whatever sounds good and I also wanted to encourage you to reach out for some help from your social network. Did you have any friends/relatives offer to help when the baby comes? Even if they didn't offer, do you have someone you can tap to either take the girls off your hands or bring dinner over for the family? Bonus points if they make some sort of food you adore. Maybe see if someone can come spend a day with you at home. I for one am ALWAYS up for hanging with babies and kids and would jump at the chance to do it. Then you can nap, relax, run an errand without a child, go eat a rack of ribs , whatever for a little bit.

Hugs....it sounds really icky right now.

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #14  
Paleo-ish Girl

I ate the ribs! They were sweet and salty and divine. And the guy at the diner took 50% off the price [thought I was cute? punched in the wrong code? who cares?]. Putting food in my stomach has awakened my body to this strange "eating" concept and now I'm ravenous.

Unfortunately, while I was gone, grandma gave the baby most of a bottle. TMI, but my boobs are KILLING ME and I'd feel really selfish waking him up to nurse.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #15  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Well, hopefully you either woke him or were able to pump it off. Glad you feel a bit better!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote