Height: 5'4"

Default Weekly Chat: July 20-July 26

New Pages!!!!!!

Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Good Morning:

I'm off to spinning, but I want to give you the link to the sodium content of food again. Please, do yourself a big favor and look up the salt content of food. It's listed in micrograms: mg

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...k/sr17a307.pdf

The Mayo Clinic recommends only 1500 mg a day.

You might be surprised to learn how much salt is in the foods you like. Take a look at ham slices for example!

BBL,
Rhonda
Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Morning Chicks! I'm off to weigh in at Jenny and to take Jim to an emergency dental visit.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #4  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies

So happy to be back,and be posting again. Now I really have to get serious with the Calorie counting WOE I gained 8lbs on the cruise. So I'm going to get this weight off even if I have to cut some limbs off

I was very careful with the meals no desserts,as my DH was watching me ,but I still managed to gain 8 lbs on this trip.The only think I didn't have was enough water,I felt dehydrated as they didn't have that much water for the breakfast & lunch meals.The only time they filled up you glass over & over again was at the main meal.AS far as exercising was concerned I walked up the stairs on the ship,and we did go for walks when we at port.

Have to go,as I have to get some groceries in the house for this weeks menus.
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 153/142/130

Height: 5'2"

Hey chicks! The carpet is being installed! I am so tired and excited. We have worked until midnight for the past two nights. When they are finished we have to move furniture. Tomorrow and Wednesday I have a conference, so I get a break from remodeling. The funny thing is, I'd rather be remodeling.

Rhonda-I am going to take a look at that site. I don't have BP issues, but both of my parents do, so I'm probably doomed.

Maryann-At least some of that 8 pounds has to be fluid. I'm pretty sure that a true 8 pound gain would take more than a few days. Drink plenty of water and check out the sodium website that Rhonda recommended.

Have a great rest of the day chickies! I'll bbl
sloanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #6  

One thing that I notice from the sodium list is that anything processed is going to be high. I think that core foods look pretty low, so we just need to really watch anything that is processed in any way. I know that at my house, ketchup is one of our favorites, and it is a high sodium item. I also use some cream soups in my cooking, so I will try to buy the low sodium version. One thing we all use is baking soda; check out the sodium content in it! Thanks Rhonda for getting us that site.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #7  
Donna

Hello All,

Well things are improving. I think DH will get to come home tomorrow. He finally passed something last night so now he can have solid foods today and then they'll probably let him go tomorrow. Not counting the surgery day that's 4.5 days in which is what the dr. said, guess he knows what he's talking about. So except for the resident who thought yanking a gauze piece that was stuck in a wound out so that it bled profusely things have gone pretty well this time (they don't have a knock on wood symbol).

Rhonda - thanks for the link I need to start watching my intake better basically up to now I've been just staying away from processed food most of the time (this week doesn't count). Oh and not that it matters but I'm pretty sure mg is milligram not microgram.

Maryanne - Welcome back glad you had a good time. Ditto on what Sloan said about the water retention. Restaurants use a lot of sodium in stuff they cook so eating out for a week can make anyone retain a lot of fluid. Just get back on track...

Sloan - You will be so happy and enjoy the house when this is all done. I've been taking time for myself don't worry. I think my MIL wonders why I don't spend more time @ the hospital, but I figure he needs rest and I'll get all the together time (ie waiting on him time) when he gets home.

Sandra - sounds like you're really enjoying those porches. Sorry can't help you with the yard, need to work on mine.

Vicki - hope you got some sleep last night and that Jim's ok.

Paula - after working hard you need a relaxing day.

Well I should get moving. I've gotta do my arm stretches (haven't been doing them and it's getting stiff I don't want to have to go back to PT or surgery), then lunch and walk the dog before heading out to the hospital.

Have a great day everyone.

-Tech
TechAlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #8  
Southside White Sox Fan

Hey chicks. I'll be back later. It's not his teeth. Now on to the ENT tomorrow. I'm always scared when the stuff is inside his mouth because of the tongue cancer a couple of years ago. At least it's on the other side this time. Prayers are being sent up.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #9  

ah, yes, Donna, "milligrams"...I must have been making up words in my sleep!

Sloan, agreed, most Core things aren't processed, but then there's cheese, canned beans/peas, etc. I always rinse those but now wonder how much good that actually does in terms of removing salt. And then, there is the human propensity to add salt to food.

Donna, good news about DH...

Vickie, I can understand the anxiety really, really well. But, often sinus infections feel like toothaches. The sinus walls and roots of teeth are very close. Let's pray that's all it is.

Rhonda
Old 07-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #10  

Hi chickadees!

The carpet is done, and it looks very nice. I feel like I am just moving in! My scale says I have lost another pound, but that's not official. I didn't get to weigh in today, so that's the best I can do. I'm not gonna change my ticker until it's official.

Rhonda-Do you like frozen veggies? I know they are low sodium. I know it is a pain to soak and cook dried beans, but I think you can do them in the crock pot. As for cheese, unless I have it in a casserole, I have been using it like a condiment since being on core; just a sprinkle. When I worked in cardiac step-down, we told our patients to only add salt at the table and not while cooking. Also, lots of people love Ms. Dash as a salt replacement. I know you are concerned about your blood pressure, but don't let it make you crazy. It may just be one of those things that has to be treated no matter what you do.

Vickie-I'm already praying for you and Jim. It is comforting that his problem is on the other side of his mouth. Also, my DH went to the dentist for an emergency visit last week. He was convinced that he had an abcess, but it was his sinuses. Hang in there!

Donna-I'm glad you are resting while you can. Don't worry about MIL. Just do what you know is best for you and your husband.

Hey to the rest of y'all.

Nighty, night chicks!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #11  

I lost 1 1/2 pounds, finally.

Sloanie, yes, I like veggies of all kinds..fruit too. I rarely eat processed foods and it isn't that much effort to go back to using dried beans. So, I'll do that.

I hope everyone has a great day. I'm staying home this morning, then going to the office.

Rhonda
Old 07-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #12  

Height: 5' 10"

Happy Tuesday. Its raining again. Of course it has to be on my day off. Oh well, I have to drop dd off at camp then go grocery shopping. I'm then going to spend a couple of hours in her old bedroom (which is quickly becoming a toy room) to remove some of the wallies I had on her walls. They are easy on and off. I just need to soak them with a sponge to peel them off. A good rainy day project. I'm hoping to get in a walk today, but not sure if there will be a break in the rain.

Donna, I hope dh is home soon. I agree with Sloan, don't worry what your MIL thinks. Its not going to do you or DH any good if you sit there all day long and watch him rest.

Sloan, glad you rugs look great. Are you all moved in now? I can say our room is so nice to finally be in it -- I don't know how we managed for 12 years without closets!

Vickie, how is Jim? I hope its nothing. How did wi go yesterday?

Rhonda, good luck with tracking sodium. The list was intersting. It is nice to see that the core food list is basically low in sodium. I think we all need to stay away from any ham. I use a lot of vinegar and citrus in my cooking which helps to replace salt.

Sandra, any tournaments coming up?

Well go to get moving. BBL
blessedwithsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #13  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies

Yikes its back to reality with my weight loss journey and being a housewife again. I feel like I going to be with COCO and all her laundry.I have loads to do,and Help Leo get the A/C in all the rooms,as it getting very humid here on the Cape. I guess I shouldn't complain as we were having very nice cool weather to this point.

SLOANE-Thats wonderful that your carpets and projects are getting done on schedule. You worked so hard to have a beautiful home now set back relax and enjoy it.
Quote:
Maryann-At least some of that 8 pounds has to be fluid. I'm pretty sure that a true 8 pound gain would take more than a few days. Drink plenty of water and check out the sodium website that Rhonda recommended.
I hope so as I can't or I don't want to be inching up to where my sister is. I think I over did my water intake yesterday and I was using the the BR all night long.Yes I have to be very careful to the S word as it likes to play around with my head and my bod in general.

DONNA-Happy to hear that your DH is will be coming home you must have been so worried about him.Thank Goodness its over.
Quote:
Maryanne - Welcome back glad you had a good time. Ditto on what Sloan said about the water retention. Restaurants use a lot of sodium in stuff they cook so eating out for a week can make anyone retain a lot of fluid. Just get back on track...
I was surprised to know that the water on the ships come from sea water. No wonder I can gain 8=10 every cruise I go on. The SODIUM word again.WHY OH WHY do woman have this problem? Going to add lemon juice to the water as its a dietetic and will make me lose that sodium.

RHONDA-Congrats on your 1.5 weight loss. You worked so hard in the spinning class now finally it paying off.WTG

PAULA-So far its not raining here on the cape,but we have a low overcast. Was hoping to get out and walk but i fits coming our way I guess he bike is the only option.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #14  

Hi Everyone
I have missed you guys.
But seemed like everytime. I went to get on here lately. It would be storming. Someone came or called. And then I have been trying to keep the dogs and kitty apart. The kitty had her surgery on Friday. Got her spayed and declawed. So having to take care of her. Giving her meds. And trying to get her to use the litter pan.
So that is what has been going on with me.
I am upset. I gained again last night. Gained 1/2 a pound.
So I am writing everything down this week. Maybe eating more than what I should be. And going to watch the carbs.
Well got to go and get busy.
So hopefully I will be back later.
Thinking of each of you.
Have a great day everyone.
coco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #15  
beachbum

I just put photo on my avatar of Leo & I with our chef hats at the End Of The Cruise Party Friday Nights. Hope it works.