Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 05:53 PM   #1  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Default Your Craziest Diet?

Something Jenniffer said in response to one of my posts got me to thinking...what's the silliest, craziest diet you've ever been on?

I have two. One was the Cabbage Soup Diet. Perhaps you've heard of it? You can eat as much cabbage soup as you want for the first two days, then you graduate to watermelon, then to something else...I never made it past the cabbage soup phase! I made a HUGE pot of it (probably 12 bowls worth) and proceeded to eat the whole damn thing in one day! I have never been so gassy in all my life! I was chasing the dog out of the room!

The other was my own design. Diet Coke and one-a-day vitamins. That's it. On the fourth day, I threw up the vitamin and almost passed out walking less than a quarter mile. I finally gave in and ate a baked potato from Wendy's. This was years ago, and the behavior coincided with a general feeling of being out of control in many aspects in my life. I guess this was one area where I thought I had complete control. Scary....
Old 11-05-2002, 07:27 PM   #2  

OK I have done many stupid things.....i also did a eat only the same thing everyday diet....i believe it was grapefruits. I have also tried the slimfast (used to taste like watery chalk), dexatrim....i was starved.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:59 PM   #3  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

In college I went on a stravation diet - it was more of - can I do this? The first two days were really tough, but then it got easy - which is scary. I did it for 9 days - only water. The first I ate after I was done was an apple - man, did I have gas.
I don't remember how much weight I lost but I only weighed about 130 lbs back then.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:04 AM   #4  

Cetainly there are many! These are the ones I remember:

Some 3-day diet thing one of my friends had -- you're supposed to lose 10 pounds in 3 days, and it had very specific items to eat (beets and peanut butter come to mind). That was back in the days I was partying (not an alcholic, but big old social drinking once or twice a week). Three of us were quite tipsy and decided we had to go get our food for the diet, and we were acting like idiots. I remember us dancing around the store singing the Peter Pan Peanut Butter jingle ...

Optifast (or something like it) -- you know, like Oprah. I stuck to that thing for about 6 weeks. After the first few days it wasn't that hard to do, but YUCK! And of course, once you start eating real food again, the weight comes right back on.

I, too, did the fasting diet - water only. In fact, I even went to a fasting resort in St. Petersburg, FL. I thought being in that kind of atmosphere would help me to meditate and relax and really get into the whole "fasting high" thing -- But of course, all I could think about was food!

Pen
265/218.5/150ish
Old 11-06-2002, 08:18 AM   #5  
hot mom wanna be!

It seems most of us have tried the same crazy things!
I have fasted, could only do it a few days then quit! I have juice fasted (same results only a few days of doing that too).

I have done Slim Fast as part of a diet which did work ok but I cant stick to it forever, only as a jump-start type of thing.

I did the grapefruit diet too! Eww!

It took me a LONG LONG TIME to realize that the crazy things are only temporary. The only thing that will really work in the long run is being dilligent. You have to eat healthy and keep an eye on the calories/points every day of your life. If you watch what you eat to lose weight and then go back to eating like a pig, guess what will happen?? duh!! I have lost weight so many times only to gain it back again, its depressing. I think I really understand now this has to be forever not just for a few months (or in my case years to lose this!)

laura
Old 11-06-2002, 10:13 AM   #6  

Right before I joined WW, I tried Slimfast. BLECH! Didn't work at all. First of all, I would drink my shake for lunch, be okay for a very little while, feel starving by the time I got home from work, & then my "sensible" dinner I would gorge myself because I was so hungry!!! Plus, I hated the way the stuff tasted.

I've also done the starvation &, unfortunately, purging combined. I would eat very, very little (like 2 pieces of dry toast & a piece of fruit for the whole day) & more often than not purge that little bit of food. I thought my multi-vitamin was enough. It was a sad & scary time & I was doing it to control other aspects of my life. I lost over 100lbs. doing that. When I stopped, I quickly gained all of that back plus more.

By losing weight in a healthy way like I have been since April with WW, though, I have noticed that I feel sooooo much better! It's a great feeling!
Old 11-06-2002, 03:06 PM   #7  

Ahhh..the things that we do to our bodies.

I've done:

Slim Fast
Dexatrim
Metabolife
Metabolite
Xenedrine
The Cabbage Diet
The Heart Association Diet
The fasting thing

And one of my personal favorite stupid stupid memories....Ex-Lax. Hey..I figured if I'd poop it all out...I couldn't gain weight.

I was in the bathroom, no lie, from 9:30 at night till 4:00 am. Water was coming out of everywhere! Thank goodness I took the pill at night and thank goodness my bedroom was right next to the bathroom!

Elch. Blah. Elch. Blah.

Closed Thread