General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

View Poll Results: Do you believe the moon landings were faked?
No they weren't faked. I believe the moon landings happened. 25 75.76%
I think it was possible they were faked but I don't really think they were. 7 21.21%
I think they were faked. I don't the moon landings happened 40 years ago. 1 3.03%
I am not sure either way. 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Do you believe the moon landings could have been faked?

Google will offer me little snippets of news and this is an article from CNN about the belief that some hold that the moon landings 40 years ago were faked:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/0...rss_topstories

I had heard of this theory before but I think it has been disputed enough to say that it isn't true. Myth Busters even did an episode about it. Apparently though 6% of the population believes they were faked.

I can understand how some people can doubt it since we were in a 'space race' at the time and were trying to prove our superior technical knowledge, etc, etc.

I will also say that having a technical background and working in a technical company that has performed some amazing feats over the past 100 years that I can believe we've been to the moon and back.

Last edited by nelie; 07-17-2009 at 03:46 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #2  
Workin' It

Sure they could have been faked. You can fake a lot of things with enough effort. Do I think they were? No. I grew up in a technical household, and I remember my dad listening to astronauts talk back and forth to mission control on a radio in our laundry room. (Can't remember if it was his HAM radio or one he had from being in the Army... ) I've visited the NASA Space Center in Florida, I used to obsessively study the technology when being an astronaut was my big dream. Like Nelie, I've seen the things that we have accomplished over the years and I have no doubt that we landed on the moon.

There are also people that don't believe in the Holocaust. I just don't understand either mindset.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #3  

I doubt that it was a hoax. My husband is really skeptical about it, but he's a conspiracy theory kind of person. I looked at the myth busters website for that episode. I'm going to leave it up on the computer for him to see.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #4  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

too funny, don't know if anyoner here will remember, but James Brolin was in a movie about a faked Mars landing YEARS ago, Capricorn One, that was inspired by the idea of the moon landings being a hoax.

Last year I went to the Air and Space museum at the Smithsonian. I'm such a NASA geek, I was so thrilled to see the space ships, the moon rocks, the space suits, and all the other stuff.

No, I don't believe at all that it was a hoax, it was a great moment in world history, not just American history.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

You have to be smoking some kind of crack if you think they were faked. Conspiracy theorists will believe anything
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

It's funny you mention this. This morning I was watching CBS recap Walter Cronkite and the moon landing and as they were showing the astronauts exit the lunar module, I couldn't help but notice that they were transparent. I could see the horizon through them. I had never given it much thought until that moment.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #7  
Operator265

Considering NASA taped over the tapes of the mission, this is going to become a hot topic of discussion again.