South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Default Weekend Beaching

Happy Saturday on this glorious, sunny morning! There's nothing like the sun streaming in your windows to get your day off to a cheerful start.

I'm dropping my car off at the dealership as soon as they open this morning to get it inspected, so we'll be tooling around in Jake's jalopy the rest of the day. We have a funeral to attend at noon, then the kids are all coming over to spend the rest of the afternoon in the pool. I think we'll probably just do burgers and brats on the grill for an easy supper.

What's everyone have planned for today?
Old 07-11-2009, 07:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Mornin' cottage! No one is awake today!

Wow, it's only the 11th. Isn't it illegal to not wait until the last day of the month to get the inspection?!?! The easy supper sounds like a great idea....maybe I'll copy you!

I have to work today, unfortunately. We have a huge arts festival in town (actually, two of them) that we may go to as well, depending on how the kids are doing. And of course, working on the new house. So much to do! We won't be bored for years!!

Have a great beachy weekend!
Old 07-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning!

Cottage, There are no auto inspections in Alabama. We had them in Louisiana, but it was just a $10 tax on your car. The inspector didn't actually inspect anything.

Twynn, Remodling a house is hard and fun at the same time. Last year, we tiled the living room and both bathrooms. We lived in a construction zone for about 3 weeks. Our kitchen is next. I don't know about living without a stove for 3 weeks .... or more.

Me: Jeff and Auston got up at 5:30 to go fishing with a buddy who got a new boat. So, I've been up since then. I did the cleaning that had to be done last night so I can have some fun in my alone time today. I'm going to the Farmer's Market and to Walmart. I actually enjoy wandering around Walmart.

Tonight we're going to BIL/SIL's house for dinner. I've asked twice what I can bring, but she hasn't given me an answer. Guess I'm a Lady of Leisure tonight.

Today is day 6 of phase 1. I'm down 4 of the 5 pounds I gained in Louisiana last week. It was water retention. Guess the rest of it is mine because the scale hasn't moved in a couple days. I'm feeling thinner. That has to be worth something. One of the mods has a ticker that says something about the scale being a convenient tool, but not the best tool to measure weight loss. I need to find that quote and stick it to my mirror in the bathroom.

Hope you all have a beachy day. I'm going to play...

Last edited by Chelby29; 07-11-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning

Hi Cottage and Twynn. I have been up for almost an hour, but have been multi tasking so I can get out of here early today.
I'm glad to hear of your nice weather, Cottage. Enjoy-except for your funeral.
Twynn, sorry you have to work,
Cat and Chelby, thanks for posting yesterday about your lunch dates. I'm happy for my healthy food today, too.
Schmoodle, Is your "rice" really rice? Just curious because it sounded really good.
Pearlrose, didn't get to say hi yesterday

Me, going hiking again today. We're leaving early, but without the dogs. We took them yesterday, but they are both older, and we didn't want to take them in too far. They did have a great time, though. I'm hoping to stop at the farmers market for cherries to take with us and we'll have a nice lunch up this beautiful canyon. Dinner out tonight-Cuban- so I don't have to do much SB thinking today.

Chelby, I won't eat any rice! Have a great day, Lady of Leisure. I just read that quote in one of our threads last week. I'm glad you had a good P1.

SB Question: Molasses?? Don't have my book. Googled and found this quote "Honey and molasses are allowed when they enhance the recipe flavor. Dr. A. suggests you use half of the amount called for in the recipe and the rest use Splenda or other type of sweetener." Any truth to that? I have a blueberry gingerbread cake I make once a year when bb's are fresh. It calls for 1/2 c molasses. I am willing to cut that in half, but would appreciate feedback.

Hi to everyone yet to come!! I desparately need

"
Old 07-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #5  

Debbie -- In case Schmoodle doesn't see... Her rice is actually cauliflower. I don't remember how she cooks it. I have a gallon of fresh blueberries in my freezer. mmmm. Love them in oatmeal.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Morning all!
Cottage, hope your inspection goes just fine. Chelby's right...here we call them "brake tags" (inspection stickers) You just drive in, they check your papers, you honk your horn, turn on the windshield wipers and show that your lights all work, hand then 10 bucks and your're good for a year. Just got a new one the other day.
Twynn, hope you get to go to the festival. We may go to one tonight depending on how we feel by this evening. It's a Bastille Day festival (art, music etc) in a town about 25 minutes from here.
Chelby, enjoy your alone day. Hopefully you'll be cooking some courtbouillon with those fishies! (hey, that's an idea, courtouillon could easily be South Beached!)
Lex, Hiking and cherries...a perfect combo...have a great time!

Me: Thought my clothesline would be up. Husband has to cut the rebar and needs a saw blade. Grrrrr. we were AT Lowe's, seems he would have thought of that. I don't nag, but I will bring up "suggestions" every now and then. Think a saw blade will be strongly suggested today.

We had a great time last night. Went to a place that in it's former life was an old gas station. They have music on the patio (where the cars used to pull in). It was hot as hades even with a mister and fans going. Finally cooled off after the sun started going down and the music started. We were feeling kind of icky from just eating at the Greek place and the heat and decided to only stay for one drink. Then we met a complete New Orleans Charecter...wearing white linen shorts, white linen shirt and a panama hat. He just strolls up to our table, starts talking about my eyes and stays at our table all night. This guy was a trip. He was back and and forth singing with the band (they played old style N.O. jazz). Let's just say that he swung "both ways" and had us in histerics telling us stories of his life in uptown N.O. after the storm with 2 other guys, a trannie and 3 dogs finally evacutating after a couple of weeks...then blowing a tire and having a flat spare. (sounds sad and was but the way he told it was hilarious) We danced the night away in that heat, so I guess I worked off the drinks. I have to admit it was the first time a bi guy ever told me I had a "nice rack". His boyfriend never showed up, so we had to take him home..crazy and fun night. You just never know what the day will bring. I like days like that!

Last edited by femmecreole; 07-11-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 251/251/150

Height: 5'5"

whew.. just got home from a nice 2.6 walk on a beautiful trail! next time we aren't bringing the pooch! she didn't love it as much as we did! it was a good cardio workout... it's a very hilly trail. I plan on walking it at least once a week.
I'm beginning to look forward to adding some whole grains back into my diet! I really haven't craved anything this go round. Bought some Agave nectar and I'm lovin it!
not looking forward to going to work this evening.. I really want to spend it hanging out with my family! Oh well!
Old 07-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #8  
sophie

Sorry no time for personals but this article appeared in the Toronto Star today about the South Beach Diet: http://www.healthzone.ca/health/article/662402

take care
Sophie
Old 07-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

I finally found that recipe, for some reason that search function doesn't always work for me and yesterday it would not come up, but today I searched fried rice and it popped right up. whatteva.
Anyhoo, here it is http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/side...ried-rice.html Kierie and Debbie that's for you.
It's really good, the rice part is cauliflower but you really wouldn't know it, and I add lots of extra stir fry veggies, soy sauce, fish sauce, sometimes water chestnuts, toasted almonds, like a regular stir fry - tons of veggies and soooo good.

So this morning I had breakfast with my friend at the PA Dutch Market, then hit the Farmer's Market, then Aldi's Ollies Dollar Tree Petsmart Home Depot, whew! I got lots of the stuff we need for DD's birthday party next weekend, she wants a luau theme and I checked Party City yesterday but sooo expensive, the Dollar Tree had tons of cute stuff cheap, woo-hoo.

Came home hot and tired so we suited up and headed for the pool, and the sky started looking gray - wouldn't you know it as soon as we got signed it, we heard thunder? No pool for us, boo.
Hopefully this will pass over so we can go to the Movie on the Green later.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #10  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

My "clothesline" (I guess it's a "clothes-trellis!) is done. Cool, huh?
It's made of pvc pipe reinforced with rebar and 2 chunks of "mini fence" I used to have around my herb garden before I moved the garden onto the patio.
I designed it and my husband executed it. I know he wishes I would quit thinking up things, but he's happy with the nice smelling sheets!

Last edited by femmecreole; 07-11-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #11  

I like your cute clothesline, Cat, but can you use clothespins on it? It's often breezy here, and without pins to anchor my clothes to the line, they'd be all over the yard!

Schmoodle, thanks for reminding me of the Fried "Rice" recipe. I love it and I haven't made it in ages. Do you have a Christmas Tree Shop near you? You can often find tons of party theme items there for just pennies. Five Below is another great place to shop, too. That's a shame you didn't get to enjoy the pool today. It sure looked like we were going to have a big storm for a while this afternoon, but it all blew over and the sun came back out. I hate to say it, but we could actually use a little rain right now. If it doesn't rain overnight, I'm going to have to water the flower beds and the veggie garden tomorrow.

Sophie , that was an interesting article, but I find it hard to believe that the opinion was that the South Beach Diet was almost impossible to follow. I think most of us here would agree that once Phase 1 was over, this plan is pretty easy to live with.

Chelby, you and Cat are pretty lucky that you don't have the yearly car inspections that we have. It cost me $324! But that included 2 new tires and an oil change, too. Jake gets his car inspected next week, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he gets off a lot cheaper than me.

Debbie, have you tried agave nectar yet? For your recipe, I'd use 1 part molasses to 2 parts agave nectar, and I think you'd get good results. By the way, I'd love to have that recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing it.

It's been a long and busy day, and I think I'm going to turn in. I'll see you all bright and early in the morning! Nighty night!
Old 07-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #12  

Cottage.... WOW!!! Expensive!

We just got home from BIL/SIL's house. Good thing I brought a SB friendly appetizer, because dinner was not friendly. Pork chops marinated in some kind of syrup, baked potatoes, salad and cupcakes. I ate my dip with celery, a pork chop and salad. MAN, I wanted a cupcake! That scale better be good to me in the morning.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:49 AM   #13  

Just wanted to check-in for my weekend fix.

Looks like you're all having a great one!
Old 07-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #14  

I slept in a bit this morning, after laying awake listening to the storms all night. Everything is fresh and sparkling with the sun shining brightly this morning.

I have grocery shopping, cooking and laundry to do today, and someone will probably show up for a swim. I ended up making a big pot of spaghetti yesterday, so I think we'll grill out today.

How's your day shaping up?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:48 AM   #15  
Determined to lose!

Inspections... I'm grateful that NY State has a decent inspection law, they check the brakes, tires, wheels, lights etc... makes one feel safer on the road. One year my car didn't pass due to no emergency brakes. (What are they for again? lol). My son and I were discussing this the other day about having to have insurance on the car. I know some of the other states do not require auto insurance. What do you all do when you get into an accident? (Again, not that I get into accidents, but it is a mind relaxer for me).

Sorry I have been MIA, been going through some difficult times due to lack of work, and I think maybe perhaps midlife crisis? I'll be 40 this year and thinking I really do not want to do bookkeeping any longer, trying to find things to do that I can help other's. What is life about anyway? Making money or helping others?

I did get the office reorganized. Pulled all the books and Bible STudy notes from over the past twenty years from the bedroom shelves into the office, tossed or donated the books I never use nor want nor need. Put the linen on the shelves behind the mirror in the bedroom (making a linen closet)... Made two trips to the local community shop so far and have at least two more trips by the year's end.

I also have the pictures from over the years on the Kitchen table and will spend some time over the next few days to put into frames or photo albums and get rid of the boxes they are in! Will be fun to reminisce!

Today am hoping my sister and her family will come out for a hike in the gully! Hopefully will be able to talk her into the easier of the three, where I can bring Jade! If they don't come out I will spend the day in the office finishing the paperwork, disposing of all the bills from the past twenty years, wondering why I ever saved it all???? Never need it!
Closed Thread