Old 07-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 316/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Soy Products and Thyroid issues, looking for alternitive foods

I recently read that soy products affect how the thyroid functions with thyroid medications in a negative way.

Since starting with my trainer, she has wanted me to eat before working out with her. I see her at 6:30am. I get up at 5:30 am so I can eat with sometime before leaving. I am not typically a morning eater. I usually like to wait a few hours before eating. I have read that it is bad to work out first thing in the morning without eating something and the logic does make sense. The problem - is finding something that has enough calories that sounds good to eat and doesn't have soy. I do drink a protien drink that has soy in it, after the workout so I need to take my pills before the gym.

Any suggestions? BTW, I am sensitive to eggs, I don't like bacon or sausage, and oatmeal appears to be to heavy/hard to digest to give me the "energy" the meal is suppose to provide.

Last edited by quiffy; 07-09-2009 at 11:59 PM.
quiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:04 AM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I like to eat a lot of little things for meals - somehow increasing the number of things I'm eating makes it feel like more than if I just ate a lot of one thing. So what about a piece of string cheese, a piece of fruit, and a small handful of almonds or walnuts? Or yogurt, and some peanut butter on a whole wheat english muffin or a few pieces of turkey sausage?
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:23 AM   #3  
Looking for a waist!

S/C/G: 263/248/163

Height: 5'9"

I started taking my Synthroid at night, before bed. It prevents me from late night eating and I've been feeling better. I'll get my blood work done later this month and I'm curious so see how my body's been doing since this change. My TSH was never under control when I took it in the morning, I always ate too much fiber (which interferes with the absorption too). I'll let you know how it goes.
elle w 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:32 AM   #4  

If you like protien shakes, why not switch to whey protien. Look for a brand that is soy free.
If you are trying to cut soy, look at the lables of ALL packaged foods (even bread), it is literally in everything.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #5  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I was going to suggest Kashi Snack Granola bars but I just read it does have soy in it. I'm not an early morning eater as well but I have few healthy bars that I don't mind eating before I workout. I cannot workout with a full stomach. These bars don't feel too heavy in my stomach, are moderate calorie wise and perfect for on-the-go moments .

I like Weil fruit and nut bars. My favorite flavors are pistachi-oh and cashew. For some reason I don't see the cashew on their site. But I got my bars from Wegmans (if that helps).

Hope this helps

Last edited by pintobean; 07-10-2009 at 07:16 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
I recently read that soy products affect how the thyroid functions with thyroid medications in a negative way.
Thanks, that is news to me and I need to read up on it. For years I did not know that I need to take my Synthroid on an empty stomach. I take it first thing in the morning and make sure that I wait an hour to eat. It seems to have made a difference.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

i take my meds in the a.m. and the only things ive noticed i have an issue with are dairy products..mostly milk/yogurt. (i eat cereal each morning)..i cant eat eggs so i have just been dealing with the nausea..usually goes away after about 45 mins.

Last edited by bitetoobreakkskin; 07-10-2009 at 02:27 PM.
bitetoobreakkskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 316/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I like to take my pills first thing in the morning so I remember them. I take ammour thyroid and welbutrin. I have to take the welbutrin in the mornings. The trainer today said to try going with just a banana before the gym. I'm good with that .
quiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I use hemp protein like Vega when I want to use protein powder. IMO, hemp is the best protein powder available.

I would stay away from isolated/refined soy products like soy protein but I eat some tofu, tempeh and other products with soy in them in moderation. On the other hand, I don't take thyroid medication.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I agree that some nuts, cheese, fruit, and maybe half a slice of toast with a little butter is your best bet for light fuel with a good variety of nutrients.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote