Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 299/ticker/150

Height: 5' 2"

Default reverse psychology?

I don't understand my thinking..... When I don't obsess about eating, losing, weighing....I have a pretty good week. When I do, I don't. I think I'm relatively intelligent, but I don't understand why I can't get into my "head" and figure this all out.
Any tips for head-games that help you?
tchrnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

Do you plan out your day? If so, the day before or at the moment? I learning what works best for me, is to plan out everything including exercise and food, including snacks, before I start my day. I find when I wander around the kitchen, I get into trouble, but if I know I'm going in, for example, some ckn, carrots and celery for lunch, that's what I do. As far as obsessing about food, could be lots of things, tired, bored, thristy or yes even actually hungry. Our bodies try to tell us what we need but do we listen, not always. Sometimes for me, I just need to stop, and just walk away, and just tell myself no, I struggle with these feelings all the time. One big help for me is to visit here. Best of Luck, you can do this, just Plan, Your Plan!
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #3  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

well, I got myself stuck in the 50s decade for quite a while (weight wise that is, heh heh).

I think for me, sometimes overthinking the whole process can be a problem. I just have to know what I have to do, and do it. I read the posts here to help me focus; before, on my own, if I felt like eating a muffin, or some other extra, or skipping exercise, I'd zone out and do it.

I also try not to imbue too much meaning on the weight that I'm losing, it doesn't mean I have to do or not do anything to lose a lb, don't know if you can relate to that.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #4  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

What do you mean "you have a pretty good week'? Do you mean you lose weight--or that you are cheerful and easy going?

For me, it's simple, if I think about food, I want to eat it. If I think about food too much--then I want to eat too much.

Automatic pilot is best--especially around that TOM.....
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:55 AM   #5  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

Our brains are messy, irrational, emotional things, and for those of us who are overweight, probably includes a complicated relationship with food. Once I accepted that, I found it easier work things out, because I didn't need things to make sense, I just went with what worked.

It sounds like developing good habits and then not thinking about them too much works for you. Go with it. Maybe you'll work out why later.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

And in addition to wondering what you mean by "having a pretty good week", I was also wondering what you mean by, "obsessing about eating, losing, weighing".

Since I 'm not sure of what you mean, it's hard for me to tackle the question.

I for one can't go on automatic-pilot. I automatic-piloted my way to 287 lbs. I didn't put much thought into "it" and ate everything and anything that was around me. Not so good.

Weight doesn't fall off miraculously. There has to be a thought process that goes into it. No good General that plans on winning the battle would take his men into battle without a darn good, well thought out plan in place. Planning my food out in advance actually saves me time and anxiety about my food. It comes to meal time and I KNOW what I will be eating. It takes away the thought process at the time, which is essential to success. I KNOW that what I'm eating is healthy and WILL result in good health and weight loss and there is nothing to "think" or "obsess" about. Having set rules for myself about what I can and can not eat, takes away the decision when it's time to eat, it takes away the thoughts of "Oh should I eat just a little of this or some of that?" - well, no you shouldn't - that won't get me to (& keep me at my goals). Again pre-determining ahead of time takes away the decision making process when it actually comes time to make a food choice. The pre-"work" actually saves me a lot of mental anguish. It makes things easier and simpler.

And I do not call it obsessing. Obsessing is detrimental to ones well being and takes away from other aspects of ones life. Well, nothing could be further from the truth about pre-determining what I do and do not eat ahead of time, about CARING about my health (my weight). It enhances and enriches my life. All thought that I put into my "food" and exercise is quite responsible, sensible, the mature and "right" thing to do. Neglecting it would be irresponsible. What I do is not obsession, it's dedication and is necessary in order to live in a healthy manner and a healthy weight.

Changing my thoughts, changing my attitude did indeed change my life.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #7  

I don't do well with limits AT ALL. I personally do best when the weightloss is 'off the brain' so to speak.
I do my best to keep good stuff in the house, that way, whatever I prepare is fine.
When I do want goodies, I try to have one as soon as possible, its most often nasty, I don't finish, and then I don't think about it again.
I also like reminding myself that so called 'goodies',really aren't all that good

If I tell myself no, I have the ability to build up a treat in my imagination that it is the most amazing treat. By the time I'm done, the darn thing has super powers.
I can't dwell -for me- nip it in the bud, then move on.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote