Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Default Not sure what to think or say???

Since I started losing weight again this past May, I have lost roughly 16 lbs.

My father was the first to notice and commented on how my face looked so much thinner. This was after about 8 lbs lost. My mother in law also noticed a little change and commented. My kids and husband were/are the ones who could tell the most, I suppose because they see me every single day in all kinds of attire.

My father in law was really astonished at about the point where I had lost 12-13 lbs.

So last week, I had about 15 lbs out of the way and I went to my local convenience store for a cherry coke zero. The girl behind the counter who has worked there for years said "You straightened out your hair! It looks very nice". I said thank you and left it at that. That SAME afternoon, a neighbor was walking her dog and stopped to chat on my porch. She said "WOW, you had your hair highlighted. It looks fabulous"! I still didn't say anything about the weight but thanked her for her compliment.

Today, another neighbor came home from work and saw me on the porch, we exchanged greetings and he said "Oh, you had your hair cut. It looks very good!"

Ok, WHAT is going on here? lol No one is seeming to notice that 16 lbs are gone. And they are extremely enthusiastic about my hair "change". I finally did tell him that my hair is the same length, it has actually grown a little and I am in need of a trim and that 2 other people commented on my "changed" hair last week but that I have been straightening it for almost a year now and that I had it highlighted over a month ago and we both had a good laugh.

Does this happen to any of you? I would have thought 16 lbs would really show on me. I have always been a master at covering up my true weight with very tailored clothing but apparently I was better at it than I gave myself credit for, lol.

I called my mom, laughing but at the same time very confused and she thinks they do perhaps notice my face is thinner but attribute it to maybe a new hairstyle or something.

It is all so very strange yet amusing to me. I started at 166 in May, and I am beginning to wonder...was I a lot bigger than I THOUGHT I was? Or do I just carry extra weight well?
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #2  
~jus' being me~

No one commented on my weight loss until I had lost over 60lbs. It actually didnt bother me, I just got on with the job that I had to do

Also, people who do see us every day see all of 'us' . . .the the personality all that good stuff so often the weight is not noticeable. My friends and family actually look at my "before" pics and say that they never realised I was so big . . . they always saw me as just me.

Keep doing what you are doing (well done on the 16 btw!!!)
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #3  

I've lost 52 pounds...and no one can see it either. Weird.
suefrommars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Sue and Danni: That makes me feel horrible for you both that no one noticed such a big loss. It makes me wonder how many people **I** have failed to notice. I would just feel terrible to know that I did not notice. I always like to find ways to compliments others (completely sincere, of course) to root them on and especially when it comes to weight loss.

I am not really down about it. It is certainly nothing that would stand in the way of my progress (may even fuel it just a bit more, lol). Now, when I reach goal I do hope more people notice. Not a huge concern right now though. But kind of like Sue said, a little weird. This is the smallest I have been since having my son 5 yrs ago.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #5  
~jus' being me~

It really didnt bother me at all. As long as my arse was shrinking I ws happy!

People started to notice around 60lbs lost . .. then nothing again til I was almost at goal. It was closer to goal that it bothered me bcos I was like hang on! I am down almost 100lbs and NONE of you people can seeeeeeeeeee the differece. And then like magic I took off another 10lbs and everyone could see it again.

I really think that people just see what they think you look like if that makes sense . . . and at the end of the day . . . we are all self centred I mean that in the nicest possible way - everyone is so focussed on themselves that often we dont notice changes in others until we are almost caught off guard and then you go Whoa! Look at you!! When did this happen??

Meanwhile it was happening all along
Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You have to realize people complain all the time on these forums about people commenting on their weight loss, even if they do it nicely. "My God, they clearly thought I was cow before!" Traditionally, it would be rude to comment on someone's weight, even positively. People are doomed if they do, doomed if they don't. You may just have to let people know it's OK to comment.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #7  

Height: 5'11"

I am guessing that the people who commented on your hair noticed that something was definitely different, but they just couldn't put their finger on it so they assumed it was your hair. I would just take the compliment for what it is and be happy--because they DID notice, they just didn't know what they were noticing!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I lost about thirty pounds before anyone noticed. I would never, in a million years have drawn attention to myself by telling someone I lost weight--just not my way. Keep up the good work. You will be noticed. Trust me!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #9  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
I am guessing that the people who commented on your hair noticed that something was definitely different, but they just couldn't put their finger on it so they assumed it was your hair. I would just take the compliment for what it is and be happy--because they DID notice, they just didn't know what they were noticing!
This is what I was going to say. The last time I lost weight (lost about 50 pounds in HS) I got that all the time - "is that a new haircut?" "did you get your eyebrows waxed?" "is that a new shirt?" and I just wanted to say NO YOU MORONS I'VE BEEN WORKING MY *** OFF AND I'M NOW 20% SMALLER but I just smiled and replied appropriately.
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/206/150

Height: 5-4

way to go on the weight loss
lookingtobehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #11  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Just focus on your success and keep up the awesome work
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #12  
Losing member!

S/C/G: 360/360/200

Height: 6'

Just focus of your efforts.

People are so wrapped up in themselves that it just takes a bit to notice. It you want priase, or need it....you will likely have to ask for it by telling people you lost weight and correct them that you hadn't made other changes. If that motivates you, go for it....then they will take closer notice.
txestella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #13  

Height: 5'9"

When I returned to Jamaica to visit friends after 7 months of not being there, and about 70 lbs lighter, a couple of the MEN asked me if I did something different to my hair because I looked different..... REALLY? Sometime's people are clueless. Don't sweat it.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #14  
~jus' being me~

Thats why I love having online supporters - cos if the real life ones are not there you can come here and people who understand will be there to tell you that you are doing great baby!!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #15  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Yup - people commented on my hair a lot - even when I did nothing different. They noticed SOMETHING had changed, but they didn't know WHAT.

And like others, it took 40 lbs before anyone notices that I had actually lost weight.

And then, only after I finally ditched my clothes, and bought some new second hand clothing that FIT my new body.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote