Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/149/105

Height: 5'2

Default Working out for 3 weeks..no weight loss :)

ive been working out an hour to hour and a half everyday for the past three weeks, with no weight loss and im getting annoyed.

i take in about...1000-1200 calories, and i dont eat rice nor bread.

so what gives?

the good thing is that im feeling more energized.

Any tips?
im 5'1 and 141 pounds.
please help!
joyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/116/110

Height: 5' 4"

OMG i'm the exact same way. I'll lose a pound and gain it the next day. I'm so sick of it
dietnlose? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #3  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

1) You almost definitely need to eat more calories.

2) Any time you start new exercise your newly stressed muscles retain water to heal themselves. Plus as you lose fat you may be gaining muscle so you may be getting smaller even though you're not getting lighter.

I would recommend you add at least a few hundred calories to your diet and keep up with the exercising. If in two weeks you don't see a change, then you can start to analyze!

Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #4  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

You might not be eating enough nor fueling your body correctly for that level of workout...depending on what kind of exercise you are doing, your muscles might be growing and holding onto water...you might just have to give it more time...could be a lot of things.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #5  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I've been exercising 60 to 90 minutes, 6 days a week, for the last 3 weeks. The scales were hardly moving for me and last week actually went up a pound. This week I'm finally showing a loss. Keep with it and your body will follow.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #6  

Height: 4'11"

Can you go into a little more detail about your diet and exercise? What exactly do you do/eat on an average day?

At first glance, it seems that you may want to aim for 1200 calories MINIMUM, since 1000 is definitely too low (even for your height). Also, rice and bread (especially brown and whole-grain) are not necessarily bad for your health, especially if eaten in moderate amounts.
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #7  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I agree with others that maybe you need to up your calorie intake.

Don't give up, we can do this

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

So, you're not eating rice or bread. What *are* you eating?
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Yikes! Bump it up to a good 1400-1600 calories minimum. Also, at 141lbs, it will be a lot longer and slower loss than someone starting out at a higher weight. If you want to lose in a healthy manner, keep your calories up, keep exercising, and give yourself a good 6 months - 1 year.

Not eating enough during exercise does not burn fat - it burns MUSCLE. A 140lb woman with a lot of muscle looks very fit. A 140lb woman with no muscle can look flabby. It is not a race.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I agree about the calorie thing. However, since you have been working out with weights? do you notice any changes in inches hun? The same weight of muscle as the same weight of fat takes up less space. You could be losing and getting more fit but not seeing it on the average scale. A pinch test could tell you a lot.

dietnlose, how tall are you can I ask?
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #11  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

You actually DO need carbs, they part of a normal healthy diet and your body NEEDS them. I would not spring for rice but I would opt for some complex carbs like sweet potato or whole grain English muffin, whole grain tortilla wrap, etc.
Plus I echo what other people said that you need to eat more. Your body is in starvation mode.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/149/105

Height: 5'2

wow, thanks for all your responses..

the first two weeks, i was eating eggs and toast for breakfast, for lunch, id have turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread, and dinner was chicken and veggies.

i didnt see any weight loss there. i actually gained 3 pounds.

then on the third week, i stopped eating bread, and only ate veggies and fruit and dropped 3 pounds. oh and i would eat peanuts and raisins...

now im just eating chicken, veggies and fruit and eggs and tofu.

i do have more energy which is great but im just a bit bothered that theres no change.
joyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #13  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
Yikes! Bump it up to a good 1400-1600 calories minimum. Also, at 141lbs, it will be a lot longer and slower loss than someone starting out at a higher weight. If you want to lose in a healthy manner, keep your calories up, keep exercising, and give yourself a good 6 months - 1 year.

Not eating enough during exercise does not burn fat - it burns MUSCLE. A 140lb woman with a lot of muscle looks very fit. A 140lb woman with no muscle can look flabby. It is not a race.
^^ Yes!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #14  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

joyinSF--What's your exercise routine look like? If even half of that work-out is cardio, you'll need some carbs to have some energy to burn. You're getting some with your vegetables, but I would suggest as well some whole-grain options (my dad, who is a bodybuilder, swears by sweet potatos as a god-send carb--he's highly carb intolerant, and his body burns these happily).
More calories, more calories. Your body's probably in shock and holding onto all its resources best it can. You're not that overweight, so you need to give it a month or so before you really expect to see any significant changes, though all the exercise is likely to show you much better results than if you were simply dieting. Muscle takes up less room than fat, after all, and is much more attractive. That is also why, if you aren't already, you should incorporate some strength training with free weights or machines.
Good luck honey. I'm climbing back on the band wagon from a July 4 total crash and burn. Raw foods for me for the next 3 days.
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 152/115/120

Height: 5'1"

I'm 5'1 and workout six days a week (cardio almost every day, and strengthevery other day, and yoga once or twice a week). I can lose eating 2000 calories a day.

At 1000-1200 calories a day, if you're working out for 60-90 minutes a day, your body probably thinks it's starving. Up your calories to 1500 a day (including grains that are less-processed and whole grain) for at least a couple weeks and see how the scale reacts. Keep in mind that water retention (due to workout out extra hard, time of the month/hormones, eating salt) can affect your weight, so don't use 2 or 3 days of weigh-ins as gospel and tell yourself "it's not working."

We are the same height!! Unfortuntely those of us who are short have a slight disadvantage--it's harder to restrict our calories enough so that we lose weight and also get enough calories/nutrition to fuel our day-to-day lives. Definitely give yourself a longer timeline to lose weight... But it can most assuredly be done--I started out at 152 pounds last spring and exceeded my goal as well as my revised goal. I owe it all to patience and commitment--don't give up. Remember, loving your body means working out as well as fuelling your body properly.
nakedmango is offline   Reply With Quote