Old 07-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #1  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

Lightbulb Bye Bye Coffee *waves*

So I have decided to give up my daily monring coffee and switch to black tea with lemon.

I am not going to give up coffee completely, because that would just drive me insane, I just don't think I need to drink it everyday.

Has anyone else made a similair switch for the better of their health; from one product to another?? How did the change go?? What was it??

e.g. regular pasta to whole wheat pasta

L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #2  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

I couldn't give up my daily coffee, so props to you on that!

I gave up everything white. No white rice, no white potatoes, not white bread, no white pasta. All of those things have been swapped or forgotten. I don't eat potatoes of any kind anymore and honestly I don't miss them even though we used to eat mashed potatoes almost every night for dinner.

I gave up gum, this was huge for me. Even though gum is low in calories, and can actually help some people fight off hunger. For me I was going through an entire 60 piece pack of gum every two days. Thats actually a big amount of uncounted calories and I just can't have one piece a day.

They have all been great changes for me.

Last edited by Cebsme; 07-07-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

For myself, I gave up sodas everyday all day long. Now I usually have one a week and in my own defense, it is a diet coke so not too bad I suppose :P. I too gave up white rice and white starchy foods. I do miss potatoes though. They have always been my weakness. Very rarely I do allow myself a handful of chips or fries.

I also quit smoking cold turkey almost 9 months ago after being a 2 pack a day dedicated smoker for 21 years.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #4  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

I too have given up coffee in the morning and switched to Ty-Phoo black tea. This from a coffee junkie!! After a cup of tea I have a soy smoothie and feel great. I still have coffee on occasion, but don't really miss it.
Yes, you can do without coffee in the morning, by drinking tea.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #5  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Yes, you can do without coffee in the morning, by drinking tea.
Actually I would love to drink tea in the morning, or anytime, but tea makes me extremely nauseated, every single kind I have tried. A big thing that I notice is not everyone's body functions the same.

Last edited by Cebsme; 07-07-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #6  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

Gave up Diet Coke - it was a 24 year old, 4-6 soda a day habit. That's a lot of cans! Anyway - I substituted water, with Crystal Lite additives sometimes. Trying to get rid of those as well. But I've only had 2 sodas in the last 16 months!

My hydration level is better. My skin looks great! And my arthritis dramatically improved.
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I gave up soda first, then cookies/cakes/etc followed shortly thereafter... then went the candies. I allow myself gummy candies when I really want them, as I'm not a big fan of gummy stuff. I have been completely soda-free for almost three months and I don't miss it anymore. I didn't for the first couple weeks, then I started missing it for the taste, but controlled myself from even a sip of it and couldn't be prouder of myself - this was one of my biggest things! I used to drink a 2-litre every 2-3 days, it was bad. I just went home one day and decided no more, so I dumped every soda that was mine in the fridge. I've had no candy or cakes/chocolate/etc for just over two months.

The big change I have noticed for me is that I am very intolerant of anything with a lot of sugar anymore. I buy only 'no sugar added' popsicles for desserts and even those are a little too sweet for me. I think it's pretty cool, honestly.

Last edited by stargzr; 07-07-2009 at 04:23 PM.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/239/155

Height: 5'8"

For some reason I have never liked the taste of coffee or tea, so I have never drank either (except for a few times when I worked at Waffle House but their coffee is so weak, they don't count.) I recently gave up soda but I do occasionally allow myself a glass of ginger ale (my favorite!) as a special treat.

I have also had an epiphany that instead of eating food that tastes good, I should eat food that makes my body feel good. For example, I kept on eating this chicken pineapple salad that didn't taste that great but I kept on eating it. Today I realized that I'm eating it because afterward my body feels wonderful! I'm not really sure exactly what it is about it but I am trying to change the way I look at food.

Last edited by Jadebatdog; 07-08-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Jadebatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelder227 View Post
Gave up Diet Coke - it was a 24 year old, 4-6 soda a day habit. That's a lot of cans! Anyway - I substituted water, with Crystal Lite additives sometimes. Trying to get rid of those as well. But I've only had 2 sodas in the last 16 months!

My hydration level is better. My skin looks great! And my arthritis dramatically improved.
2 sodas in 16 months?! boy do i wish i could do that. soda is still my greatest struggle when it comes to things i want to give up. switched to diet, but haven't eliminated it, and i still drink tea and coffee, but all unsweetened.

otherwise, i've mostly given up white rice/potatoes/most pasta because I will binge on those things. And bread, can't forget that, white bread only. I have rye sometimes and those whole grain wasa crackers.

Quote:
The big change I have noticed for me is that I am very intolerant of anything with a lot of sugar anymore. I buy only 'no sugar added' popsicles for desserts and even those are a little too sweet for me. I think it's pretty cool, honestly.
Same for me. I noticed it first when someone offered me nondiet Coke, and it sort of made me nauseated! So I guess it's good, because I don't even want sugary sodas anymore, they upset my stomach. I also don't like cake frosting or ice cream much, and I tend to gravitate toward nonsugary things. Real coke and pepsi taste really thick and nasty to me now though.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 150 lbs/ 140 lbs

Height: 5'7"

You are a brave soul.... I tried switching from coffee to those flavoured teas....but I crumbled.
Good luck!
Arlixia is offline   Reply With Quote