Old 07-06-2009, 03:06 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default Don't be afraid of the scales

I know it's important not to get too fixated on the numbers on the Electronic Number Generator; and that's it's crucial to celebrate the NSVs loudly!
but I want to make a plea for being brave and accountable too.

Last week I was feeling so grim, didn't eat good quality stuff, although I did keep to the calorie budget. I KNEW I was getting to the 'I'm going to gain weight and I just don't care' stage. It happens. It does to me anyway.

So I got on the scales and discovered a 6 ounce blip up. and I was encouraged that it wasn't more.

A couple of days on (today) I got back on, let's monitor this creep up, and I'm back down the 6 oz. and now I'm: OK! let's do it! let's start losing properly again!

In my past, I've allowed the little blips to go unnoticed, because I was too scared to get on the scales and see them. STG, that's how I regained 89lbs! just by being too scared to get on the scales and see how bad the numbers were. 89lbs of denial. wow.

Not promoting over-scalization but if you think something's slipping, don't be afraid to check it out - catch it in time, tie a knot and go on.

Steps off soapbox.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 AM   #2  
~jus' being me~

Good point!! We shouldnt be ruled by little blips but little blips continually leading us in the same direction should be paid attention . . . whether its towards goal or in the "other"
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 320/*ticker*/145

Height: 5'6"

Some people say don't dare check your weight every single day. TOM, water retention, gaining muscle, etc. But personally, I don't see any real harm in it. Just be aware of that stuff and if you see something unexpected, do a little detective work to try and figure out what it is and get back on track if possible ASAP, not 5 or 6 days from now.

The scale for me is a constant reminder of what I'm trying to accomplish here. Sure, numbers aren't all what matters, but in the long run, it is. No one ever stayed the same weight while simultaneously losing 6 dress sizes and a double chin. It doesn't happen.

And if gaining 1 lb lights a fire under your a$5, pardon my french, then the more power to you.

The day you weigh yourself is like the day you start your diet. When you made the decision, isn't that the first thing you go do, is weight yourself? Let's face it, the urgency fades as days go by, without something to constantly remind you. So I'd rather have that "first day of dieting" boost every day rather than every 7 days. It's better for me in the long run.

But then again, not everyone is me. Some people may look at a gain and say "Screw it", I can't deal with this chaotic roller coaster. So, do whatever works for you, I always say. No one knows what works and what doesn't work better than you do.
sakurasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:27 AM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

While I agree is good to keep tabs on the electronic number generator, I personally can't check it daily. It becomes an obsession with me and rules my life. Years ago I couldn't stop checking the stupid thing and quit eating to the point of starvation. I was thin, thinner than my mind would let me believe, but more importantly, I was not healthy. Now 20 years later, I check it once every few weeks and trust the way my jeans fit more than the depression machine. Its a case of your mileage may vary
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:30 AM   #5  
Samantha

S/C/G: 200/159/150

Height: 5'7"

Weighting often is fine as long as we remember that the numbers only represent TREND DATA. I keep a weight log and track my weight on the computer with an Excel spreadsheet. What's important is to watch the trend line over time. If its moving down (losing weight) or staying straight (maintenance), then you're doing fine. You can also add your daily calorie intake and plot that data so that you can see how the two sets of data correlate.

If this sounds more technical than you want to do, try getting Fitday and it will do all of this for you.
Samantha100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Oh, I'm glad I saw this post. I'm one of those that is too forgiving of myself and accepting. In 2005 I went from 223 to 147 in about 10 months (maybe a bit more). Rather than accepting that I couldn't continue to do what I did to maintain it (I did Fat flush very healthy but very strict for my life style) and find something immediately that I could stick with, I gave up and didn't watch the scale move. And didn't NOTICE (huh?) the gain from a size 8 back to a size 22!!! OH, silly, silly girl. I only realize that there is a moral here. A lesson, if you will. But oh, yes, scales keep us honest. 4 pound buffer seems to be the way to go. When I get back down to my goal, I will keep closer check and I am making LIFESTYLE changes. For instance....I started South Beach on Monday the 29th...knowing that 4th of July was coming. Now, I had a choice...don't start until after the 4th and have 6 days of bingeing and harder to start after or , start when I started and deal with the 4th and regroup IMMEDIATELY after. I opted for choice number 2. I enjoyed the 4th with my family and ate some yummy food and even had a couple of drinks which is rare for me. Then I woke up the next day and moved forward. Real life happens. I want to enjoy it and not white knuckle it. So I do an extra long Phase one...that's okay. I really liked your post and it serves as a reminder to us all...I have a picturetrail link in my bio....funner to watch the weight go down then up!!!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #7  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

It's true -- I absolutely believe in using the scale to hold yourself accountable within reason. Part of the reason it becomes so easy to slip is that you have no idea how much you're gaining.

At this point, when it creeps up after a binge/cheat, I find it much more motivating to see that and work to get the number down again. Can't be in denial any longer.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #8  
Happy Plodder

I maybe said it wrongly, sorry! I didn't mean daily weighing, after a week I can't cope. What I meant was I often get to the point where I don't think things have gone well, and so I get into a 'daren't look' mentality. It's that that brought me back here.
In my case, when I looked and discovered it was only a few ounces up, I didn't think omg, better knuckle down, I thought, o is that all? I haven't blown it then, I'll carry on.

Whatever works for each of us obviously but when we think it's going wrong, it doesn't hurt to check - maybe get an encouraging surprise!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #9  

Height: 4'11"

Good point Ailidh (as usual ) I don't have a set day or days to weigh. I usually weigh when I think I've lost a little, or a couple of days after I've eaten out to see if I've gained any. I usually end up weighing 2-3 times a week and the scale definitely does keep me on track.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #10  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Ailidh--This is a huge nsv. You're willing to face up to what's going on and recommit.

Hooray!!

That's awesome!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #11  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there!
Great post! Because what I THINK you are saying is that
BE ACCOUNTABLE EVEN WHEN YOU ARE AFRAID OF WHAT YOU'LL SEE.

Not -- weigh every day or week or whatever.

Just, if you KNOW you've been off track, you need to jump right on the scale to get a grip, if you will, on yourself and your food plan. Before it becomes a HUGE issue. And it is easier to deal with little blips up than big leap into huge-iosity. And that it comes down to accountability and divorcing the emotion of the number from the reality of the number and what to do about it...

Way to go! And thanks for the post...

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Yup. That's the point I learned too late (well, I suppose it's not too late, is it?).
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #13  
Happy Plodder

Nope - it's only too late if you don't tryagain!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #14  

I agree!

I weigh daily and because of that, I know when I've gone off plan and/or not doing what I'm supposed to. Last week I noticed a daily increase and can attribute that too a number of factors. Because of the increase, I was moved to re-start Phase 1 of my weight loss plan, the South Beach diet. Also, it keeps me accountable to stay on track because I know when it's me and not water retention.

Whatever works, do it.

SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #15  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Kiramira originally posted BE ACCOUNTABLE EVEN WHEN YOU ARE AFRAID OF WHAT YOU'LL SEE.
Exactly! I think that Kiramira hit the nail on the head.

I agree with Ailidh. For me, the scale is an essential tool.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote