Old 07-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #1  
Finding me again!

S/C/G: 222/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Eat this Not that

There is a new version of the book I just got in the mail today. Its not sold in stores just through their website/women's health magazine.

Some shockers I just found:

Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Rollup: 1,550 calories (without the 400 calorie fries)
Applebee’s Chicken Fajita Rollup: 1,450 calories
Taco Bell Fiesta Taco Salad: 840 calories
TGIF Pecan Crusted Chicken Salad: 1,380 calories

I loved (I say loved because I can never eat them again) the oriental chicken rollup and the TGIF Pecan Crusted Chicken salad. I use to have them once a month or so.

And I wonder why I am fat??
JenniferNash2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Wow! I'm rarely shocked by restaurant nutrition info, but the numbers for the roll-ups surprise me... for a wrap that isn't huge or greasy or anything. I guess they are pretty dense, though, and the fried chicken in the Oriental one doesn't help. That thing was tasty though.

Now I get the Oriental chicken salad (I don't know if that's what it's called) since it has most of the same stuff... I get the dressing on the side, and sometimes only get the half size. It's still not something I'd eat regularly, but I only go once every few months (I have a friend who LOVES Applebee's so I go when he visits).
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

It's not that you can NEVER eat it- just more like once in a blue moon! lol.

Dressing on the side dramatically decreases calories. This one salad I get without the dressing makes it 220 calories! With the dressing it's like 600! I use salsa for dressing instead or a vinegrette which are usually very low cal

I never ever go to a restaurant now without nutrition information- if I can help it at least.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I love those books....I have to get the supermarket one. My spouse gets Men's Health and they have a great recipe section (fast, few items) and eat this not that. I wish Women's Health was like that but the magazine does not have the same great columns (Jimmy the Bartender, Law, etc).
Momofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #5  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

What I've been wondering is -- with all the disclosure now of how horribly high calorie so much of this chain food is, are people (generally -- not us who are actively watching) changing their eating habits? Or do they say, "Hey, I'm out to eat. So what if it's got 1600 calories??"
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #6  
Finding me again!

S/C/G: 222/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
It's not that you can NEVER eat it- just more like once in a blue moon! lol.

Dressing on the side dramatically decreases calories. This one salad I get without the dressing makes it 220 calories! With the dressing it's like 600! I use salsa for dressing instead or a vinegrette which are usually very low cal

I never ever go to a restaurant now without nutrition information- if I can help it at least.

Its not that I can't but wouldnt want to eat those items again. I feel like if I order them and it would sit in front of me flashing 1,400 calories in red neon lights over my head...

I wish all states were like what I hear NYC is, where they all have to put the NI on the menu!
JenniferNash2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

It has been discussed many times here before but I have to throw it out there one more time.

I do not trust calorie counts from restaurants. There have been many, many tests on supposed "lower calorie" foods in restaurants. The overwhelmingly vast majority of the outcomes is they are not accurate. As a result, I order very carefully when in a restaurant. Just something FYI.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The book is sold in stores, I've seen it in the bookstore before. I think even Costco had it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
What I've been wondering is -- with all the disclosure now of how horribly high calorie so much of this chain food is, are people (generally -- not us who are actively watching) changing their eating habits? Or do they say, "Hey, I'm out to eat. So what if it's got 1600 calories??"
I think people didn't care when we (as a nation) ate out so infrequently - it was more like a treat. We've been trying to eat out less in our home (that goes for take out pizza as well). With busier lifestyles, less planning, and more stress from the world, people are diving into fast food and other goodies. When the market dipped below 7,000, I wanted to throw myself into a box of doughnuts.

I've been trying to point it all out to my kids lately - my ds loves coolattas and I will use it as a treat every couple of weeks during school but I make him get the low fat one (made with skim milk). I am sure its not even remotely healthy but I feel like we are saving some calories (I also nix the whipped cream).

His "Eat this not that" is available for kids and the supermarket as well. The guide in the magazine is an eye opener - particularly with the fast food salads.

I know for me, its a slippery slope - two cookies can turn to 12 very fast. I need to stay on track - I tend to blow it on the weekend with a "its only one meal".

Interestingly enough - my governor nixed putting calories on restaurant menus. She said that you should know a salad has less calories than a cheeseburger and did not want to put the cost burden on local restaurants. I agree with her - deep down inside you know the Alfredo sauce will be higher in calories than a basic marinara. The FF chains list calories on their websites and inside the restaurant (sometimes you have to ask).

Last edited by Momofsteel; 07-03-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Momofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofsteel View Post
She said that you should know a salad has less calories than a cheeseburger and did not want to put the cost burden on local restaurants. I agree with her - deep down inside you know the Alfredo sauce will be higher in calories than a basic marinara. The FF chains list calories on their websites and inside the restaurant (sometimes you have to ask).
The problem with that is a lot of the salads in restaurants AREN'T any better than a cheeseburger. So while you think you're making a better choice, you might not be.

Items you buy in the grocery are required to put nutritional info on them, I don't see why restaurants aren't. I want to know what I'm putting in my mouth. If they can't tell me the ingredients, I don't eat it, and I think it's not unreasonable at all to want to know the calorie/fat/carb/etc content of what I'm paying for and putting in my body.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacilli View Post
The problem with that is a lot of the salads in restaurants AREN'T any better than a cheeseburger. So while you think you're making a better choice, you might not be.
Yes, I got caught out a couple weeks ago with a sudden change of plans and debated turkey/spinach wrap on whole wheat or enormous slice of fully loaded pizza. Seriously enormous. Like if you have ever had a slice of costco pizza at the food court...that big. These were my choices.

Got home and looked it up. The pizza was lower by over 150 calories and I would have enjoyed it far more. DOH! Plus I probably would have eaten only about half the pizza.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #12  
Tanya

S/C/G: 150/130/120

Most restaurants post nutritional information on their websites, so I try to plan ahead before eating out. Also, keep in mind portion sizes. I can't believe the sizes of some platters! Are you kidding me? Do people really eat the WHOLE THING?

For example, the Cheesecake Factory. Even the "lunch size" portions are ridiculous. One of my favorites, Thai Chicken Pasta, has 1007 calories, but I am full on less than half of their portion size. Cutting the meal in half makes it only around 500 cals.
Jasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #13  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

I want to get the books.

And on the other subject...I LOVED having the "total calories" right in front of my face in the YELLOW BOARD! The first time scared me to the point that I drove away...I don't eat fast-food regularly but the couple of occasions that I have seen myself in one, having the nutritional information helps me making better choices and being aware of what I'm eating.
Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #14  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I've had that problem too- I get a grilled chicken salad only to find out it's got like 700-1000 calories (depending on the place) and something I would have enjoyed more is comparable in calories!

I'd hope some places would start going hmmm, what can we do to lower our calories and make the food just as yummy?
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #15  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacilli View Post
I agree. I was totally shocked after reading about some of the salads at California Pizza Kitchen and how you'd be better off eating one of their whole pizzas!

We're told we need to be accountable for our choices and I totally agree with that, but how can we make those choices without any given information?
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote