Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default My scale and I...

Its sad but true... I've been getting on the scale daily for the last two days, sometimes twice a day, in my absolute obsession to make sure the numbers are not going back up. This, I know is not only ridiculous but in no way beneficial to the weight loss nor an accurate measure of acomplishment.

I know that weight can vary daily given a whole host of variables, yet it doesn't stop me from stepping on that darn thing and wait with baited breath to see if the numbers have gone down or up.

So I am hereby announcing my abandonment of my scale except for my weekly weigh in on Sunday in the morning. My scale will be taking up a new residency on the top shelf of my closet where, thanks to the cruelty of genetics, my 5'3" height can not reach without a step stool.

Hasta la vista, scale!
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #2  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Good for you!

I weighed myself daily for several days in a row for a couple of weeks. I found that I would be fluctuating all over the place--My official weigh-in is Monday. On Tuesday or Thursday, I'd have dropped another 2 or 3 pounds. On Wednesday or Thursday I'd have gained those three pounds--plus three more. I'd get scared and NOT get on the scale Saturday or Sunday--and by Monday I'd be close to the original 3 lb drop that had showed up mid-week.

So, long story short: once a week is quite enough, thank you.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #3  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Good idea. It's just such a buzzkill to be stepping on that thing everyday (for some). I officially weigh-in once a week and unless I'm off plan a lot (like now) I hope on maybe once or twice more, but I try not to get to invested in the numbers.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #4  
~jus' being me~

lol I go through phases where I dont ever weigh and then when I am in VFT (virgin fat territory) I recall doing the hop on hop off a lot because I had never seen numbers that low in my adult life . . .
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #5  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I admit to having a bit of an obsession with the scale. Now the logical part of me totally understands that my weight will fluctuate from hour to hour, day to day. I know that going by a once a week weigh-in, keeping track of measurements, and feeling better in my clothes is what matters. However, it's so hard not to step on the scales. I've been doing so well the last three weeks, with exercise and calorie counting, and yet all I've lost is 3.5 lbs. I know that is great, but dang if you consider what I was consuming before I re-started the weight should be melting off. It's making me crazy!!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #6  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

oh, boy, I do it too. I do with with clothes on and off, so I know what many of my outfits weigh. I wonder if that knowledge will ever come in handy...

it can effect my mood, so I know I shouldn't do it. then I love to see the numbers get lower (and the virgin fat territory thing too). I do an "official" weigh in on Fridays, this week I make the pledge to stick to that.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I can TOTALLY relate to this -- my DH called me a "FISH girl" because I was on and off and on and off and on and off and rezeroing and on and off and move the scale because maybe it is on a humpie thing in the floor and on and off and shift my weight to the right then the left and OMG that can't be right stupid scale I hate you you have to be wrong and on and off and rezero and move to a different room with the scale and on and off and off to the fridge in a grumpy mood...

DH finally hig the scale. I weigh in once a week at my WW meeting, and life is....BETTER....

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 07-04-2009 at 10:26 AM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #8  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I'm a daily weigher and I've made peace with it somehow. I used to weigh multiple times in a day, but I gave that up (nothing past the first-thing-in-the-morning-empty is very helpful). I tend to lose a chunk over two days, creep up a little, then drop, then creep, etc. Personally, I've looked at my pattern and seen that if I weighed only once a week I would be missing out on some fun loss days and in the process have been discouraged since my weigh in days inevitably fall on my "creep up" days. I find now I am just fascinated by movements of the scale day to day. It's taught me not to care so much, if that's possible to understand.

I've also read that people who are successful long term at keeping it off weight daily. I know that when I have fallen off the wagon, one of the first things I stop is weighing daily. Not weighing daily is denial mode for me.

The great thing is, everyone is different. But if someday you can, I encourage you to make peace with your scale. I refuse to use it as a reason to beat myself up. If I'm sticking to my plan and it goes up, I know it's not a reason to feel bad. All it tells me is that tomorrow or the next day will be a good one for the scale.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #9  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

I used to have an obsession with the scale, it is an awful tool to measure yourself, instead of clothes falling off, more energy, being able to walk farther...etc. I heard someone say letting a scale rule your life is the same as a toaster or another kitchen appliance rule your life. After hearing that, something clicked. I am proud of you for giving it up.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 301/188.4/180

Height: 5' 10"

A big part of this journey for me is re-learning discipline about, oh, any number of things! So once per week only for this chick!
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #11  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I'm a daily weigher but I don't get hung up on the numbers. I get on once. Record. Move on.

You have to know whats best for YOU though so if it's driving you nuts then put it away!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Height: 5'2"

I weigh daily, it helps keep me in line. Today the scale was up 1.4 pounds from yesterday. I know that's not a real weight gain when I ate about 1200 calories yesterday, most of which was veggies and fruits. So I'm annoyed but life goes on.
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #13  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiToo View Post
I weigh daily, it helps keep me in line. Today the scale was up 1.4 pounds from yesterday. I know that's not a real weight gain when I ate about 1200 calories yesterday, most of which was veggies and fruits. So I'm annoyed but life goes on.
Yep, that's how I feel about it, too. I step on after my morning visit to the potty, wearing nothing but my undies. I do confess to stepping on and off several times because my scale is flakey, but I just take the lowest number, record it, and forget it. If it's up by a lot, then I know it's because of something salty that I ate the date before; no big deal. If I just weighed once a week, there is a good chance that I would be seeing an "up" day so I'd be bummed out, thinking that my plan wasn't working. By weighing every day, I can plot it on a graph and see that the ups and downs are normal, but I'm definitely trending DOWN.

I have, in the past, been in that place where the scale ruled my life and an up day on the scale meant that I felt like crap all day long, beat myself up, etc. So I can totally understand why sometimes people don't find it helpful to weigh daily!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #14  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I hadn't thought about recording my weight everyday as a way to chart how my body loses. I think I will give that a try, since I know I'm not about to give up my obsessive, daily (and middle of the night) weighing.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

For those daily weighers out there: Do you notice an actual predictable pattern that has emerged?
Cause if so, I'm rethinking about the daily weighing then, cause I think stepping on during a "up" day for the offical weigh in would bum me and really make it hard to stay motivated.

Last edited by TaraLee; 07-04-2009 at 05:03 PM.
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote