Old 07-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #1  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Question Another Facial Hair Post: Spironolactone/Aldactone for facial hair?

Has anybody used Spironolactone or the name brand Aldactone for excess facial hair? My dr just put me on it and I was wondering if anybody had experiences they can share.

She said the excess facial hair is due to my tom's not being on time and regular, so I supposedly have excess testosterone.

Ive started waxing my upper lip, and have to pluck my chin hairs (GROSS) because of it.

Oh I hope it works!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #2  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

I have PCOS and I've been taking spironolactone for about eight months (along with metformin) and I've gone from shaving twice a day to once every other day - considering I've had a beard since I was 11 I consider this a raving success.
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #3  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugCanDoIt View Post
She said the excess facial hair is due to my tom's not being on time and regular, so I supposedly have excess testosterone.
Your doctor was wrong, or misspoke, or you didn't hear correctly.

The excess hair is due to excess circulating insulin, which causes excess testosterone, which causes excess hair. Irregular menstrual cycles are also a symptom of the insulin-testosterone relationship, not the actual cause of the excess hair.

Controlling insulin levels by adopting a low- or good-carb diet, and/or by taking medication that lowers insulin (Metformin), is the "cure" for excess hair, ultimately. To my understanding, Spironolactone serves only to control the symptom of the excess hair, and will not cure the underlying problem. Once you stop taking Spiro, the hair will come back.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #4  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

I probaly didnt hear correctly. The nurse on the phone said that the pill acts like a sponge, to eliminate the excess testosterone. Im pretty sure thats what she said. Anyway, Im gonna give it a try. I am diabetic and am also on Metformin, but have not seen any slow down of hair growth since taking Metformin and changing my diet with less carbs, plus I also exercise.

Im gonna give it a shot.........and see, cause I sure cant afford Veniqua, the cream for facial hair.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #5  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

It also is prescribed a lot for people with acne, so an added benefit is your skin will look great. It was originally developed as a diuretic for people with high blood pressure. I have PCOS and already got lasered, but was prescribed Spiro to keep new hair away.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 316/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I've been Dx'd with PCOS and have the facial hair, even after 2 bouts of electrolysis I still shave daily. However, my insulin levels have always been good and when I was on glucophage I had no changes in symptoms.

After a full work up and ultrasound, they kinda decided that my estrogen doesn't increase enough to cause an out and out cycle. Beats me.
quiffy is offline   Reply With Quote