Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/175/150

Height: 5'5

Default Intervention - sugar is crack

SO......I started this weight loss journey (again) in January 2008 and was successful - from size 22 to a size 12, but my goal is still about 20 lbs away (size 8 or 10) and I have essentially been at a plateau since September - maintaining which is new for me, but still - not losing. In the last month I have fluctuated up and down about 10 POUNDS!! This doesn't happen to normal people - I swear! I've been working out hard 5-6 days a week, but also eating what I want and it finally hit me - I have some major food issues - like a serious addiction. I knew I had issues - (hello! 256lbs!), but the fact that I can't get it together here in the home stretch and every day that I "start again" I end up falling off the wagon by lunch has gotten me so frustrated with myself! I watch that show "Intervention" on A&E and as I watch those people with their addiction diseases I realize I am the same way with food. I don't want family & friends to intervene on my behalf, but I just have to realize I am powerless (over sugar especially) and just stay away. I quit smoking 15 years ago - I feel like I should be able to kick my sugar thing too - but it's SOOO hard!! I wish I could just say "no thank you, I don't want that cake".

Sorry for the legth - I just had to say (write) it out loud!!
skinnyinsideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #2  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Sugar is crack. If I had not beaten down that sugar demon with a STICK I wouldn't be where I am now. Hands down the best thing I ever did for my weight loss.

For me... making eating sugar NOT AN OPTION was what I had to do. I often said (and still say) is this food worth not attaining my weight loss goals... and it never ever is.

I wish you luck. It's a hard battle. But look at the success that you have already had! You're doing fantastical!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #3  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Yep...sugar is crack. There is no doubt in my mind that I am totally addicted and unable to stop at a small serving. I used to drink heavily and I used to smoke, and I can't have "just a drink" without getting drunk, I can't have "just a smoke" without buying a pack and becoming a smoker and I can't have a candy bar without buying a gallon of ice cream to go with it. Sugar is E.V.I.L.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Bread is my crack. Can't be near it. It's good to identify the devils in your life and call them out! Even avoiding it once can give you a boost to avoid it the next time. You just have to start somewhere.

Great job on the 80 pounds, by the by!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I have an addictive personality. I am so much better not having any sugar than trying a little bit. I have 10 days until my bday..... after that NO sugar for me! These last 20 pounds are GONE!
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Sugar is crack for me too. It took about 4 weeks of no sugar and the cravings stopped. It does get better!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmama View Post
Sugar is crack. If I had not beaten down that sugar demon with a STICK I wouldn't be where I am now. Hands down the best thing I ever did for my weight loss.

For me... making eating sugar NOT AN OPTION was what I had to do. I often said (and still say) is this food worth not attaining my weight loss goals... and it never ever is.
You can sign my name to this post.

There is no way on earth I would have lost all, if any of my weight if I didn't vow off of the stuff.

It tastes good. The good stops right there. Right there. And the bad starts immediately and continues on and on and on.

I had to take the power away from the sugar and "those foods". By making them off limits, it put the control firmly back in my lap. For so long I had heard that getting rid of it was the best way to lose weight. I figured, I'm doomed, absolutely doomed, because there's no way on earth I could live without it. Ha. There was no way on earth I was going to LIVE with it. After being miserable enough and wanting to lose the weight - all of the weight - I caved in and gave it a try. It was without a doubt the best decision I've ever made. It freed me up to really, REALLY enjoy life. Not just a quick temporary over in 30 seconds fix.

Quote:
I feel like I should be able to kick my sugar thing too - but it's SOOO hard!! I wish I could just say "no thank you, I don't want that cake".
You can. You really, really can. It's detrimental to your health. You are better off without it. First you start off pretending you don't want it and before you know it - you really won't. I know for sure that when you do decide to get rid of it, in a matter of a couple of weeks, you will wonder why the heck you didn't do it sooner.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #8  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

It sounds like you might be one of us...the few, the proud(?), the chicks who have to Permanently and Totally give up sugar. Most people do not have to do that. They can have a bite, or a serving, and go right on about their business. But there are a few of us, who can't. My theory is that we are literally allergic to sugar.

It IS possible to kick the demon. You CAN do it. Detox is ****...but if you commit to giving it up, you can, and believe it or not...you get to where you don't miss it AT ALL. I am living proof of that. My sugar (carb) addiction got me to almost 400 lbs.

It IS possible. To me, sugar IS crack. And I Just Say No (thanks Fancy Nancy ).
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #9  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

You know, if you can make it past the first little while without lots of sugar, your body will cleanse and there's a good chance you'll stop craving it so much.

Sugar, fat, some starches, excess salt ... all leads to the same place ... more of the crap. It's set up that way. It will affect your body and make you want more, more, more.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #10  

Height: 4'11"

Yep sugar addict here too! Going cold turkey is SO much easier than trying to work it in to my plan. Because if I refuse to eat it, there's no agonizing and debating and negotiating about how, how much, when, how often, blah, blah, blah until my head was ready to explode. Once you shut the door you will have a lot more peace (after the first month when it's trying to get you back in its clutches). You CAN do it!!!
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #11  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Sugar is so very addictive. I think that I can just splurge for one day...one holiday..one event..then go back to business as usual. But, I can't! For years, I've used sugary starchy foods to make myself feel better and it is so very difficult to break that habit. The sad thing is that they do make me feel better emotionally, but just for a little while. Then, I'm left feeling depressed, fatigued, achey, and fatter than before. It's just not worth it, is it? The price is high.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

Yes I totally agree sugar is crack, however for me apparently so are crackers!
Hello, my name is Scarlet, and I am a crakcer addict!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #13  
Samantha

S/C/G: 200/159/150

Height: 5'7"

On a positive note, when I put most refined sugar out of my like, then fresh fruit tastes so good. I never appreciated how sweet fruit was as long as I was comparing it to sugary treats.
Samantha100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletmeshell View Post
Yes I totally agree sugar is crack, however for me apparently so are crackers!
Hello, my name is Scarlet, and I am a crakcer addict!
Right there with ya. Crackers - like Ritz and Wheat Thins. Also cereal. Simple carbs. Also with sugar, for me it's the combo of sugar and fat and flour that does me in. Jelly beans, gummy worms and those type candies don't attract me at all. But combine it with the flour - not pretty. Also put it in ice cream or chocolate candy bars - not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha100 View Post
On a positive note, when I put most refined sugar out of my like, then fresh fruit tastes so good. I never appreciated how sweet fruit was as long as I was comparing it to sugary treats.
This is so true. I used to think an apple was the lowliest food on the planet. Now it is super sweet to me and oh so delicious Then of course there's all those other yummy fruits, the list is endless. I never gave them much of a chance. Now they are taste treats to me.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

First of all, Lori Bell, your updated avitar pic is awesome! You look great!

Now, I am facing the hard fact that I am going to have to give sugar the boot. I am not going to do it until after my birthday next weekend. I just have one question. The ones that have totally eliminated sugar--- do you eat any kind of baked goods like with Splenda or anything?
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote