Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Goal : 150

Height: 5' 4"

Default First Post - Protein Shake Help

I'm preparing to get back on the fitness wagon. I plan to start with cardio only, then add strength training later on. My question is should I add a protein shake to my diet while doing cardio only? I want to make sure I would be benefiting from it.

-thanks all
Melanie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Protein shakes are supplements. How much protein (grams?) do you take in on a daily basis? For example, if you are only doing cardio and are taking in 100-120 grams of protein on a daily basis (or whatever amount, I take in 150-200 grams/day), you won't need any supplements. If you are doing heavy weight raining in addition, or you aren't getting enough protein in the first place, then you could use protein shakes as a supplement.

Protein shakes are generally for people who do weight training or do not get enough protein in their diet for whatever reason (for example, vegan or vegetarians often use them as an alternative to meat).

Your post indicates that you haven't actually started working out yet and that you aren't going to do strength training right away, so I would recommend a healthy diet and regular fitness routine before worrying about supplements such as protein shakes.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #3  

Height: 4'11"

IMo, I think you can always benefit from protein.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #4  

Thank you,

Yes, I have not started my workouts or weight training yet. Currently I am 5 months pregnant and plan to wait till after the delivery to start my plan. Just getting my ducks in a row first.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Oh ok, well if you are 5 months pregnant that sort of changes things :-) Whether or not you choose to do a lot of working out during your pregnancy is up to you, some women choose to do nothing at all, but I know some that will still do heavy squats and deadlifts. It's about how comfortable you feel. I'm not familiar with nutrition plans during pregnancy, I'd suggest you speak with someone (a nurse or dietician?) in regards to your protein intake, and whether or not protein shakes would be helpful for you at this time. They might be not necessary - or, you might need the additional supplement. It depends on your daily diet. A lot of protein shakes have junk in them that you may not be comfortable eating when pregnant.

Last edited by sacha; 06-30-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Edit.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #6  

Great! Thanks again!!