Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #1  
MS

S/C/G: 388/219/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Unhappy One Year Post Op

I had my gastric bypass 11 months ago and I've lost 170 lbs. While I am thrilled to have gone from 388 to 218, I have had to struggle with many numerous health problems resulting in several additional procedures being performed. I ended up with severe Malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies and a 3 month- long hospital stay. I know am in physical therapy and must walk with a walker from having acquired Neuropathy in both feet. I am in a lot of pain and had a pain pump surgically implanted because of it.

I wanted to post my specific issues just so that someone who was contemplating having the gstric bypass could have my perspective as well. I must also add that my depression got worse which also kept me from being able to properly take care of my body the precise way you must after having this procedure. So I fight today with having a lot of guilt at being in the predicament I am currently in (walking with walker, in pain, etc).

I still have another 43 lbs to go and now that I am healthier and able to actually enjoy eating again, I am having problems losing. I am unable do the kinds of exercises I have always done to lose weight. I have aquatic therapy in a pool twice a week and that is good exercise but not enough to show real weight loss results. I am at a loss as to how to get through this next weight loss step--I'm eating too much and not exercising enough--to put it simply. Any suggestions?
Donna rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #2  
MS

I hope this info helps anyone in deciding whether weight loss surgery is right for them. And if anyone has any helpful info to help me out, I would gladly accept it.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Hi Donna,

I just wanted to say I'm sorry you are having so much trouble, and I appreciate you sharing your perspective. What do your doctors say about the chance of your health problems improving with time and therapy?

I'm sure folks will have lots of good advice for you about the eating part to help you with the last pounds. Good luck to you and I hope you stick around! This is a great place for support.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

oh my, donna - you've really been through the mill here. My thoughts - FWIW - is that maybe focusing on your overall health instead of losing weight might be a good thing. As long as your weight stays about the same as you get moving again, you're doing FABULOUSLY well.

Now, that doesn't mean you can eat anything and everything. Just work on doing the best you can, and moving more. just the fact that you've survived this ordeal and are seeing light at the end of the tunnel is a real gift, and it would be a shame to let a number on the scale think that you're not doing the right thing for yourself.

and hang out with us!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #5  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Glad you joined us on here! Mug
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #6  
MS

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and understanding. It made me realize that perhaps I am putting a lot of undue stress on myself to lose this last bit of weight too soon--that perhaps focussing on my continued recovery healthwise would be more pertinent at the present time. Perhpas I will strive to become more active and to at a minimum maintain my current weight rather than focussing solely on losing weight right now. It's definitely given me something to seriously consider and I thank each of you for your curtious and supportive responses.

I believe this site might be exactly what I needed and I owe it to my sister, MugCanDoIT, for getting me to sign on as a member. Again, much thanks!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there! I haven't had the surgery, but have looked into it.
There have been lots of people on this forum who have had secondary issues just like yours. And people who have had revision surgeries, too.
I'm glad you joined this forum. You can surf ALL of the threads, because there is LOTS of great info out there from all types of people -- sort out what helps and chuck the rest!!!

I've followed Ms Mug's posts, and she is really great on the forum. And I'll sure you'll be great too. We all learn from each other, so don't be shy! Your opinions are valid and your experiences are valuable to us as a community. Don't be shy to ask for help, either, and pm whomEVER you like for help.

Welcome, and I KNOW that focussing on your health will get you in the best. shape. possible. for the rest of your life. You have to walk before you can run, no? So getting in the best health that you can will prepare you for the journey of life.
Weight is just a number, after all, and you can work on getting it down over time. But put yourself in the BEST position to do this. After all, who wants to be at an ideal weight but not able to do anything???

Welcome...

You CAN do this...
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #8  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

duplicate post, but I still mean every word of it!!!
Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 07-01-2009 at 10:56 AM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #9  
MS

thank you for your reply--I think you responded to my sister, MugCanDoIt, on the PLEASE HELP MY SISTER posting. I just wanted to say thank you for you kind words.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

OMG!!!!! you're the SISTER!!!!!! thank goodness you joined us!!! we were worried. and here you are!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote