Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/217/215 by Halloween!

Default Consultation Tomorrow with a Dietition...

I was excited about this when I first heard about it and made the appointment. But now after researching the company online I'm not so sure.

The reviews I read all say they are a good company, but are very expensive and really try hard to get you to buy all kinds of questionable suppliments.

I got excited about getting some real medical based advice on what I'm doing wrong. Now I just think I'm going to walk in there and this woman is going to basically tell me they can help me for hundreds of dallars and if I buy their suppliments. I can't afford to spend all kinds of money right now.

As soon as I made the appointment I started writing down everything I eat when I eat it, because any good dietition will ask what their customer is consuming. But what if she just calls me a liar like everyone else does, lol...

This is my honest to God list for today:

Life Cereal and 2% Milk (1 small bowl)
Coffee with French Vanilla creamer (1 cup)
Blueberries and Cottage Cheese
15 Baby Carrots
10 Celery sticks
I Red Pepper
15 Cherry Tomatoes
3 slices of Swiss Cheese
1 bowl of "Pink" Stirfry
(^ This is something I make with Salmon and Red Wine Vinagrette sauce. I call it that because it comes out pink.

This is honestly how I eat five days a week. What I eat on weekends varries, but this is it the majority of the time. I just need someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong. And if the reviews I've read are correct, this woman isn't going to be the one to do that.

I'm bummed...
PriestessCynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

If you aren't getting the warm fuzzies, then you may want to cancel your appointment. You will be vulnerable to the sales pitch, because it sounds like you really, really WANT to lose the weight. Look for a nutritionist at a public health unit -- one who isn't allied with a commercial program -- and you may get better, perhaps unbiased, information.

You may do just as well with a more structured program, and you can devise one yourself (like calorie counting) or with another program such as South Beach or WW.

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

please let us know how it goes. I've thought about doing this, but don't have a clue how to start to even look for one in the area.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #4  

My husband suggested WW. I've never checked into it. Is it really expensive?

I know the YMCA in my town has Nutiritionists on staff, but they are only available to members and a Y membership is outrageous.

I live in a really small town, the pickins are slim here.

I apologize in advance for the rant, but I'm just having a really bad day today. Recently the trip I was supposed to take (3 weeks in Europe with one of my best friends) fell through because the person I was going with split up with their Fiance'.

My Violin is broken and I took it in to a music store today, after being told on the phone that this was a minor repair and they could fix it for free. Then I get there and they tell me I'll have to leave it overnight and it'll cost me $30.

My brother was supposed to get back to me today about this supposed work from home job that isn't a scam. (I am trying to find something to do on the side for a few hours a week.) Well, his best friend does this job and loves it, but when he talked to his friend to get the info for me his friend wouldn't tell him anything, because he doesn't want anyone stealing his work.

And then to top it off I was walking my dog and he somehow got away from me. As I'm running down the sidealk trying to catch him and terrified he's going to get run over some douche drives by and yells out the window "Lose some weight FATASS!"

Then I come inside and while my stirfry was cooking I googled the name of this company and found all these bad reviews... It's just one thing after another today. I know this is futile for me to tell everyone here. I'm just venting frusterations I guess.

Last edited by PriestessCynder; 06-29-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #5  
Closed

ARGHHH!!! Crappy day!!! I just pm'd you!

Let me know what you think....if you like...
And check out the WW board here...

Kira
Old 06-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #6  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

We've all had days like that - It looks to me as if you might have your calories TOO low. That can be counterproductive. Read up on BMR and do some calculating. Figure where you should be for healthy weight loss. And then start counting. Can't hurt.

I just raised calories by about 200 a day, and the scales started moving again! Problem was, I was shooting for 1300, but actually was often around 1000, and that's not enough. Now I try for 1500 and usually at least get to 1300. Much better, and healthier.
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
ARGHHH!!! Crappy day!!! I just pm'd you!

Let me know what you think....if you like...
And check out the WW board here...

Kira
PMed you back.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelder227 View Post
We've all had days like that - It looks to me as if you might have your calories TOO low. That can be counterproductive. Read up on BMR and do some calculating. Figure where you should be for healthy weight loss. And then start counting. Can't hurt.

I just raised calories by about 200 a day, and the scales started moving again! Problem was, I was shooting for 1300, but actually was often around 1000, and that's not enough. Now I try for 1500 and usually at least get to 1300. Much better, and healthier.
You might be right. I do a rough guestimation of how many caloried I'm taking it. It's hard to get an exact count on all the vedgetables. Like, the package of Applles I have in my fridge right now, the nutrition facts say 1 medium apple is 80 calories. But these are pretty big apples. And what they consider medium may be complately different from my idea of medium. That's just one example though. And I did forget to include the apple I ate today on my list (on here, I wrote it down in my notebook) oops.

And the stirfry I make. I know how many calories are in the rice, whatever meat I use, and the sauce, but the rest of it is vedgetables.

So, it's hard. I'd guess today was roughly a 1400 calorie day. But, In all honesty I ate more today then usual. I don't usually eat cheese. I just ate that because I was hungry when I got home from work and couldn't start dinner right away because I had to take my Violin in to get fixed, so I at that to hold myself over. And the blueberries and cottage cheese were an extra treat today too. So, most days are less then this.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #9  

PrincessCynder,
Ask your family dr for a referal to a dietician. Insurance will usually cover it if your dr recomends it and they should be able to connect you with a dietician from a local hospital who has no interest in selling you anything.
Bette K
Bette k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #10  
Closed

Pm'd back to you, Chickie-poo!!!

Kira
Old 06-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #11  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

Some minor suggestions would be perhaps more calories? Small changes like switching to skim milk and oatmeal in the morning (oatmeal is a very good complex carb that keeps your energy burning the way cold cereal, which is mostly simple carbs, does not). I wouldn't estimate your day's calories at 1400, probably far less, and almost entirely carbs (veggies and fruits are carbs you know, but good ones). I find that upping my protein intake and reducing my carbs always jumpstarts my metabolism. Another thing that does that is exercise, even in small doses--are you getting any?
I'm not sure about that dietician, sounds like they could be setting you up for a sales trap. That is, unfortunately, what the weight loss 'industry' is all about. Honestly, you'll probably get more sound advice here.
As for the terrible day you've had, I'm very sorry Some people can be so insensitive and stupid. Were you able to find your dog?

Actually counting your calories can be very beneficial. You may be amazed at how off your estimations can be--I sure was! I use The Daily Plate at www.livestrong.com, and it's been a fantastic tool for me. Don't use their calorie estimator though, it's been off by a lot according to most accounts I've heard. It told me I should be eating over 2000 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week. Obviously not.
Good luck.
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette k View Post
PrincessCynder,
Ask your family dr for a referal to a dietician. Insurance will usually cover it if your dr recomends it and they should be able to connect you with a dietician from a local hospital who has no interest in selling you anything.
Bette K
I might do that. And he would probably recomend someone gladly, since he scolds me about my weight every time I go in for a physical.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchievictim View Post
Some minor suggestions would be perhaps more calories? Small changes like switching to skim milk and oatmeal in the morning (oatmeal is a very good complex carb that keeps your energy burning the way cold cereal, which is mostly simple carbs, does not). I wouldn't estimate your day's calories at 1400, probably far less, and almost entirely carbs (veggies and fruits are carbs you know, but good ones). I find that upping my protein intake and reducing my carbs always jumpstarts my metabolism. Another thing that does that is exercise, even in small doses--are you getting any?
I'm not sure about that dietician, sounds like they could be setting you up for a sales trap. That is, unfortunately, what the weight loss 'industry' is all about. Honestly, you'll probably get more sound advice here.
As for the terrible day you've had, I'm very sorry Some people can be so insensitive and stupid. Were you able to find your dog?

Actually counting your calories can be very beneficial. You may be amazed at how off your estimations can be--I sure was! I use The Daily Plate at www.livestrong.com, and it's been a fantastic tool for me. Don't use their calorie estimator though, it's been off by a lot according to most accounts I've heard. It told me I should be eating over 2000 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week. Obviously not.
Good luck.
Thanks for the link.

MY dog is safe and sound at home. He's a small dog, so he can't run that fast.

Now that I think about it I'm not sure if the guy yelled "Lose some weight fatass" or "Eat some cake fatass." Either way though, not a pleasant thing.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #14  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

Working with your doctor's a great idea. And I agree with munchievictim - your calorie count looks well below 1400 to me. And I've been calorie counting for a while.

As an example -

15 tbsp eggbeater egg whites, with 1 cup of mixed vegs (mushrooms, green onions, tomatoes, bean sprouts, spinach) and 10 small shrimp, and Laughing Cow Lite Swiss

5 oz chicken breast, 1 tomato, 1/2 cucumber, lite honey mustard vinaigrette

Large Apple

Healthy Frozen Dinner - Turkey Meatballs with Quinoa Pasta and Broccoli - 350 cals

1 cup lowfat no-sugar added chocolate ice cream

This was under 1000 calories! Nutritious, yes, But too low for me. I'll do better tomorrow. My problem is I don't especially care for starches (except REALLY fattening ones like Doritos and cookies), so I automatically cut them, and tend to just eliminate them entirely. We all have our challenges.
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #15  

Just to let everyone know how this went.

What I read online was somewhat true. This lady is legit. And she was very friendly. I didn't get the vibe that I was being pressured into anything.

However, 16 weeks of her services would cost me over $1000. She does have a lot of suppliments that she recomends, that is included in the cost, along with several medical tests. I'm sure what she does works, but I just can't afford it.