Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:18 PM   #1  
Start 8/5/12

S/C/G: 205/138/130

Height: 5'4

Default Went to Applebee's tonight...

So I went to Applebee's tonight for dinner with the family before we went and saw Transformers (which is really good btw!) and I did not eat as good as I should have. In my defense, I had saved 900 calories because I knew we were going to dinner so I could have some room to work with, but I probably ate more than that. I mean I literally gorged my face like I was starving which I wasn't even! It's like I couldn't stop myself! I am feeling guilty right now, but as soon as I got home, I jumped on my Wii Fit and sweated up a storm for 45 minutes. I have already lost almost 10 lbs in a pretty short amount of time on this diet plan, and I know I should treat myself every now and then but I just can't make myself NOT feel guilty about it. But it's not one of those "well I mess up, I guess I'll just quit my diet" kind of feelings, it's the type that motivates me more.

Lesson learned. I guess there was no real point to this post, just wanted to share with some people who can relate to my feelings.
CandieRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

I think the only thing you have to be concerned about is the part about gorging your face like you were starving. You can allow yourself to go out to eat. You can even allow yourself to go a little OP on occasion, but you should never allow yourself to overeat "all-out" like it sounds perhaps you did. Do you know why you went overboard? Have you thought about it so that you can stop yourself the next time you visit Applebee's? I'm really glad you are not letting it ruin your overall weight loss efforts!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 06-28-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:48 PM   #3  
Start 8/5/12

I really don't know why I went overboard, to be honest. I think I was just like "Wow, super yummy food!" and that was it. lol I never over eat really, the reason I gained weight is because I just ate badly and never exercised. That was really uncharacteristic of me to do that. Oh well, I learned my lesson, and I'm moving on!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Applebees has Weight Watcher items on their menu, and those are pretty safe for calorie counters. That's what I usually order when we go there. Most of the things on their menu are way over the top--as is true for so many sit-down places these days.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Applebees has Weight Watcher items on their menu, and those are pretty safe for calorie counters. That's what I usually order when we go there. Most of the things on their menu are way over the top--as is true for so many sit-down places these days.

Jay
I had the steak portobello when I went there last week with my oldest daughter. It was really good!!
teresab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

We visit Applebee's fairly often because of their WW menu. (Although I'm a calorie counter, the WW meals are still great and low in calories) I couldn't imagine being on any type of weight loss plan and not ordering a meal that was meant just for me, unless I was Planning a binge....then that's a whole different story altogether.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

Applebees? I can think of a million better places to blow a bunch of calories...

But, in general, I think you need to head into any restaurant with a plan. Know what you are and are not going to eat. Saving 900 calories is great, but did you look ahead to see what's on the menu that would keep you at 900 calories?

I went to dinner on Saturday at my favorite neighborhood Italian restaurant. Family-owned, so there is no nurtitional information avail. But, I knew that I was getting my favorite Autumn Harvest Ravioli (no cheese -- butternut squash, pumpkin, and sweet potato filling) with tomato cream sauce. Hello, fattening! But, I skipped the bread (with olive oil and garlic), had only one glass of wine, and split my 13 raviolis into two servings. I ate 6 and brought 7 home for my husband to eat the next day. Oh! I also checked out the dessert case on the way in. If they had key lime pie (which they didn't), I was going to skip my favorite raviolis and have salad with grilled scallops instead with balsamic vinegar and 1/2 piece of key lime pie.

I probably had more than 900 calories, but I was OK with that. I had a plan and stuck to it and did not overeat, based on what I'd planned.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It's a good learning experience. Applebee's has their menu posted online, you can plan how you will do a better job next time. First, it might be a good idea not to hoard so many calories that you were so hungry it was tough to make good decisions. Next, pick what you're going to eat before you get there - don't even open the menu or look around what other people are getting.

Get your SO's help. Tell them what you are going to order in the car and ask them to help you stick to your plan by reminding you of your goals (in a nice way) when it's time to order. My boyfriend is great at keeping me on track in a constructive way. I was always a "secret" overeater and to have a public reminder is very helpful to me.

If the portions are large, ask for a to go box immediately and box up what you don't want to eat.

I read this great book called Mindful Eating and it was so eye-opening for me. It said that most people know they are full when their plate is empty. So, I create strategies around my natural inclination to clean my plate. I only put on my plate what I would want to eat.

Restaurants and social situations are two challenging situations, but it's possible to undo a week's worth of hard work creating a calorie deficit with one calorie bomb meal. Find your plan for dealing with these difficult situations and follow through.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #9  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Agreed - the "good" stuff at Applebee's is ... really, really good! Have even brought home a couple ideas to the house Head Chef (DH) and had him re-create. It's a relief to have a few restaurant chains (TGIF's as well) where you can look it up and make some plans ... and go home without feeling like a slug. Next time, take advantage of their great food, CandieRae, and that way you can come home and tell us about the GREAT choice you made!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #10  
Start 8/5/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
Applebees? I can think of a million better places to blow a bunch of calories...
I know. My hubby absolutely HATES Applebee's. But we currently live in a small town so that literally is the ONLY sit down restaurant besides fast food. I did look up their menu online because I knew they had WW items, but when I went online, they have changed their online menu and their in store menu around. They don't just have a specific WW section anymore, it's all just randomly scattered about with everything else. And NOTHING I saw WW wise looked appetizing to me at all.

Next time though, I will do better.