Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default A tiny rant

Since I can't say this to DH, I have to get it out somewhere!

DH could stand to lose some weight. He's not fat, but carries a bit of belly. However, he doesn't want anything too restrictive - he tried the 6 Week Makeover years ago with me and really disliked it, even though he lost 20 lbs.

For the last 2 weeks, he's really been trying to make better choices. He runs a restaurant, and not one that's known for healthy fare. He said when he goes to make himself lunch (or dinner, if it's a late night), he asks himself "what would Mya (that's me!) eat? Then he eats something that's good for him, usually a salad or veggie plate.

This morning, he got on the scale and had lost 8 lbs in the last 2 weeks.

I'm excited for him, and told him how great that was, etc. Here's the rant though. Why is it so easy for him? I account for everything that goes into my mouth, work out 7 days a week, track calories eaten and spent religiously, plan everything out .... and don't lose like he does. It's so frustrating to me! I could never ever ever say anything to him about it - he's such a loving husband he would start eating crap so as to not lose faster than me.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Ok, rant over. Thanks for letting me vent. What I'm doing is working for me, and I'll just have to deal with losing slowly!
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Ugh, the same thing happened to me just this morning. I've been in a plateau this week, eating the right amount of calories, exercising in the morning, and going for long walks in the evening. Hubby refuses to exercise and won't come on my walks with me. The only thing he has done is partake in the healthy foods I've been preparing. He's down 4lbs this week and the scale is still not budging for me.

Him = little work, big pay off
Me = Lots of exercise, counting calories, zero pay off

These are the things that make me want to give up and say "I'm meant to be fat so I might as well stop at the drive-thru!"
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #3  
Almost there! 7lbs to go!

S/C/G: 165/137/130

Height: 5'8"

Men always lose faster then women, more muscle mass... My dh lost weight before and dropped 20lbs the first month
alone!! Insane isn't it!? Lol!!!
Moralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #4  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

My husband will fluctuate 60-80 pounds a year, doing literally nothing. He works nights in a bar and eats all kinds of junk, but all of a sudden, he'll be 20 pounds lighter... And I try to be happy for him, because he's got a big family history of heart disease and high cholesterol, but you're right - it's hard when I can do everything right and still not lose weight

I just keep trying to remind myself that it isn't totally about losing weight - I feel better and have more energy when I eat well and exercise. But still...
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I always thought that men do loose, maybe not faster in every single case, but differently.

I can see how this is frustrating. Honestly, I find that I get frustrated when I hear about women loosing like 100 pounds in a year and here I am struggling and blah blah lol. Or the people who have never hit a plateau...that just makes me go GRRRRRR lol.

But at the end of the day it is great when anyone looses weight and/or becomes healthier and happier with themselves! Even though I can find myself getting frustrated, I do spin my frustration into joy for that person and inspiration for me!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #6  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Isn't there an ad on tv about this? Where the animated lady says she switched to low fat milk and lost 2 lbs, and her HD lost 12!!!

Men, muscle mass, metabolic rate...GRRR!!! SO not fair. But so typical.

Remember, the key isn't the quickness of the loss -- I can give you a program that would let you lose huge amounts of weight quickly. But will you STAY THE COURSE, and would you KEEP IT OFF? And would your lifestyle change? Probably not.

Just focus on YOU, and be happy that DH is coming along for the ride, too. It'll be easier to maintain a healthy lifestyle if you are both into the same thing!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moralia View Post
Men always lose faster then women, more muscle mass... My dh lost weight before and dropped 20lbs the first month
alone!! Insane isn't it!? Lol!!!
BULL!!! This is not true. It is a myth. Men do NOT lose faster than women.

My WW buddy tried telling me this when we started WW and she has lost a LOT more weight than me.

You know who loses the most weight? The person who burns off MORE calories than they take in.... period.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacilli View Post
I'm excited for him, and told him how great that was, etc. Here's the rant though. Why is it so easy for him? I account for everything that goes into my mouth, work out 7 days a week, track calories eaten and spent religiously, plan everything out .... and don't lose like he does.
You burn a LOT of calories working in a restaurant! I know I used to work in a few and by the end of the day you feel like have walked 50 miles!

You are on your feet and moving constantly. I think you burn much calories more working in this kind of environment than you could ever run on a treadmill or elliptical machine.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #9  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there!

Here's an interesting article about the men vs women aspect. In short, it says that there are 2 advantages that men have over women. The first is that men have more lean muscle mass than women. This is just a biological fact of life, and this lean muscle mass gives men a metabolic advantage of about 5%. The second factor is that men are generally more active than women, meaning more calories burned in a day.
BUT a sedentary man may not lose as fast as a really active woman, like flatiron says.

http://www.prlog.org/10252520-natura...-slimming.html

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
BULL!!! This is not true. It is a myth. Men do NOT lose faster than women.

My WW buddy tried telling me this when we started WW and she has lost a LOT more weight than me.

You know who loses the most weight? The person who burns off MORE calories than they take in.... period.
Actually, it isn't really a myth. There are plenty of studies that have been done to show that in general terms, men can and do lose weight faster. You have to take into account that a man's body has been "designed" for a different purpose than a woman's body. Women have estrogen which effects our metabolism, and are goal as a woman is to get pregnant, so our bodies reflect this with less muscle mass and more fat and the lovely ability to store fat haha.

So, in general terms men lose weight differently, and a certain percentage will loose it faster than a woman would.

I've known plenty of guys out there who have lost weight faster than women. I remember my boyfriend would like do very little, loose a bunch of weight, but he couldn't maintain it and he would gain it back at a very fast rate, faster than I gain. I do agree though that in the end it does come down to diet and activity.

Last edited by Jacquie668; 06-27-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

perhaps buy him a pedometer, and yourself one. At the end of a day or a week, calculate how much you're both moving? You might see, hes doing more? never know
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
You burn a LOT of calories working in a restaurant! I know I used to work in a few and by the end of the day you feel like have walked 50 miles!

You are on your feet and moving constantly. I think you burn much calories more working in this kind of environment than you could ever run on a treadmill or elliptical machine.
I work as a waitress. I worked with a woman who wore a pedometer several times at work. On a Thursday night she walked 7 miles from 4-9pm.
teresab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #13  
Start 8/5/12

S/C/G: 205/138/130

Height: 5'4

My husband has been biking with me and still eating all kinds of crap like pizza, burgers, hot dogs, etc. He has lost 8lbs! Seriously? lol That's all I wanna say to him, although I am happy he is getting leaner just for his health.
CandieRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #14  

Height: 5'6"

Oh I'm sure him being on his feet moving non-stop for 12 hours a day is burning more than my hour in the gym every day.

I just posted this because I would never tell him how grrr-inducing it is that he makes a tiny change and drops huge weight compared to me. He's had the same job for almost 10 years now, and been with his restaurant for 15, the only thing he's changed is the one meal he eats outside of our house. To me, that's a pretty small change that's netting him big results - which is awesome for him. I guess I should have titled this "It's not fair I wish I dropped weight as easily as my husband does".
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote