Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia #186

Starting a new thread. Can't believe how many people look in on us, and never post!

Worked this morning, and am feeling rather achey today. Maybe rain IS on the way. Always affects me that way. I have a meeting to go to tonight, so this better settle down.

Meme - you will do more that your best, I am sure. I understand how fragile these older people are, but so are you. Luckily both sons help as well as your daughter. There must be others who lend a hand as well. I sure hope they improve and regain some of their health.

Mima - are you then gone camping?? You don't have far to go. Never did care for camping, although I do like going for walks and getting out in nature. Just never like camping. Even as a kid, I hated it.

Well, since I started a new thread, I can't remember what is happening to all

Kate - hope your shoulder is doing better today.

Tammy - You are a good motivator, just by being so motivated yourself.

Joanne - hope all is well with you.

Candice - hope you were able to catch some sleep.

Well that's it for me. Have a good afternoon and evening.

I will leave you with this little ditty:

They say you never miss a thing until after it’s gone,
When things are going great in life you just go on and on.
You take each day for granted as if you have thousands more,
You really don’t appreciate what each new day is for.
Your family and your closest friends all feel the way you do,
They think that they will live forever just the same as you.
Well maybe not forever but for many years to come,
And there is always time enough to visit everyone.
And anyway you’re busy and they’re always busy too,
Your hours are all scheduled with so much you have to do.
But someday you will make the time to stop and retouch base,
As soon as everybody can reduce their hectic pace.
So life goes on and everybody runs and stays behind,
Because they have so much to do they almost lose their mind.
When we have time we’ll get together everybody raves,
But as for now you won’t believe how busy are my days.
But then one day it happens and your world comes to a halt,
And many times is unexpected or is not your fault.
An accident that’s fatal or a doctor’s sudden call,
Can make you feel as if your life has crashed into a wall.
A family member or a friend is in intensive care,
And nothing now is more important but that you are there.
A routine checkup at your doctor because you are sore,
But then the news, the test revealed, the problem is much more.
Why does it take catastrophe or facing life or death?
Or watching friends or loved ones as they take their final breath?
To interrupt the schedule of our busy hectic lives,
Why does it take an accident or when somebody dies?
Each day is very special and too soon the day is past,
For you or someone near to you it may just be the last.
Don’t ever take for granted that you have that many more,
And all the ones you love also have many more in store.
Today is all you really have if you still have your health,
And only those you love and care for are considered wealth.
Earthly goals and scheduling may seem like precedence,
But knowing you may only have today makes much more sense.
You may have tomorrow to enjoy and celebrate,
But maybe for someone you love it just may be too late.
So never think there’s years ahead to do just what you may,
You or someone close to you may interrupt the day.
Take no thought of tomorrow I recall the words I read,
You have enough to deal with on this day is what HE said.
Tomorrow is not promised to a single soul on earth,
So live and love here in the moment for all it is worth.

James A. Kisner
Old 06-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #2  

Default Hey There

Hello Everybody..
I am as fine as a person my age.. Sometimes I feel younger , sometimes older.. Like today. My feet has arthritis and they hurt right now.. I am hoping it isn't something to do with the diabetes..
We had a short shower yesterday. Not enough rain to really help. I live a mile from the Gulf and the breezes push the rain inland or over to the East coast..
My son-in-law did well with his dental surgery. He isn't all that happy about not being able to eat what he wants. I told the daughter to not let him have anything but liquids and soft foods for awhile . He had grafting in his mouth and they don't want to mess that up..
Meme- I do know what you are going through . My mother and Mother-in-law had to have constant care.. We put the mil in a nursing home. As you would guess she was put on the floor where I was Charge Nurse. Not Fun.. My mother was harder to care for.. Thank God for my sister who helped me.. They both died with in a month of each other.I sometimes thought I was going to have a breakdown from all the stress.. At the same time my sister-in-law and brother-in-law had termimal cancer. So we were trying to do as much as we could for them . The bil went into a hospice home ,but, my sil was living just a few blocks from me with a worthless husband so I had a lot of her care too.They too died with in a month of each other..
When things seem to be getting too much for you,don't be brave. Tell someone you need more help.. Their medicare should kick in and get nursing help.
Kate I hope your shoulder is better. Some days mine doesn't hurt at all till I go to bed.. How long have you been in Fl? Some say it takes 5 years to get used to the weather and your blood to thin.
Mima- My daughter and her hubby go camping every chance they can.. Like Meme that is not for me.. I like to go to the beach but I want 4 walls and a roof.. Ofcourse the daughter and her hubby have a nice camper..
Candice - I can't believe that new house is still giving you problems..
Tammy- It is good to read that you are doing so well.. Good weight loss.. I have been working hard to stay on a good eating plan.. I gained a good bit of
weight over the weekend. I am sure it was fluid. I ate ham.. I have since got rid of that and am trying to get below 150..
Happy- Thanks for the new thread.. I tried once and made a mess of it. There is still a lot I don't know about the computer..
Joanne
Old 06-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #3  

Catching up on thread #185.

Meme, Glad to hear that your daughter helps out with the cooking. I didn't realize how much physical effort it was taking to take care of your MIL. Please take care of yourself. I know that is easier said than done. YOU will win the war!

Kate, let me know if you do give zumba a try. I smiled through the whole class again today. The music is so much fun.

Anne, glad to hear the headache is better after being to the chiropractor. I have had some moments lately where I have thought about just giving up on the exercise, but I know I would regret it. The wedding anniversary last week, and the anniversary of Bob's death on July 5 are getting to me more than I thought they would.

Candice, did you save any pie for us? did the window and carpet people call?

Mima, spaghetti would be really yummy with Candice's pie!

Anne, are you feeling any better tonight? I enjoyed reading the "little ditty". It is sooooooooo true.

Joanne, sometimes it's hard to eat healthy, isn't it? Now you mentioned ham, and I think that would go good with Mima's spaghetti and Candice's pie.

Had a massage today. Felt wonderful. It is a small world I found out. The instructor for my pilates and zumba classes is the daughter-in-law of the massage lady! One wore me out in the morning, and the other made me feel good this afternoon. last day of aerobics in the morning until September. We will also weigh in and measure on Monday.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:57 AM   #4  

Put rest of the pie in the freezer since that is the only rhubarb we will have.

No have not heard back from people onthe windows and carpet yet.

Had to water tonight and didn't want to get the big heavy hose out so carried buckets of water..now am hurting ,that pelvic pain again...comes around from my back. Got laundry in and 5lb chicken in the crockpot. I can't take this humidity..I was dripping wet when I came in and had to hit the shower.......

Down 3 lbs....7 to go
Old 06-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 267/261/145

Height: 5'2

Good morning to all you busy ladies!! Another hot and humid one here on the east coast of FL. Joanne, we also had some rain last evening. Of course, I was waaaa-y down to the park walking with her royal highness when it decided to come down....we both got a soaking and looked like drowned rats! Hubby had a few towels laid out for us when we got home....too funny! I had to strip down in the foyer!
We've lived here for 5 years this year and I'm not so sure I'll ever get used to the summer heat. I'm just an old New England girl at heart trying to learn the southern ways of hospitality

Meme, like Joanne, I cared for my mom during the last few years of her life. She had to go into a rehab place because she had fallen so many times. The last time she fell she broke her hip and they could not do surgery due to her other medical conditions....one of which was osteoporosis. I brought her home from the rehab place just before she passed away because she wanted to be "home to die". I was with her when she passed.....it was a very emotional time but I have always felt it was the right thing for me to do and have never regretted it. I know how stressful caring for elderly parents can be. Thank God my hubby was there to help with running the business during all this. My sister was living in California at the time and couldn't get back too often to help out.You are fortunate to have a loving family that supports you. Good luck to you all and if I could be there to help, I would.

Anne, thanks for the new thread....and your poem of wisdom. It reminds us all to stop and smell the flowers, yes? I know I need to remind myself to do that more often.

Tammy, I've called the Zumba instructor and she gave me her schedule. I will try this next Thurs.....if I survive it you'll be the first to know! I'm actually looking forward to getting out in the mainstream again. This might be just the thing I need...
The shoulder is not much better. It hurts mostly at night when I go to bed....I think it's the laying down thing...seems to put pressure on it in an awkward position. The Voltaren gel isn't helping too much either. I fear an orthopedic doctor and MRI are in the near future for me. Hopefully it will turn out to be something I can do PT for rather than surgery.

We're suppose to have some serious rain this weekend. Queenie is so "ratty" looking right now from being wet and rolling all morning. My next project is to get her brushed out and nails trimmed. I'm trying to hold off bathing her for another week. She usually looks decent after a good brushing but if it doesn't improve her looks, I will just give her a bath. Sometimes I just feel like it never stops....always something on the agenda for me to do.
Hope everyone enjoys the day....
Old 06-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #6  

Candice, ouch to carrying those buckets! I haven't put a chicken in the crock pot for a while. I think I'll do that soon.

Kate, so sorry you were soaked! Isn't that the way it happens sometimes? I hope you like zumba as much as I do. I think we've convinced a couple more women from our aerobics class to give it a try. Being out and with people has done me a world of good. Keeping my fingers crossed about your shoulder too.

We had some pretty nasty storms that went through the area last night. Lots of lightning strikes, hail, high winds. We were fortunate where we are because we didn't have it as bad as others in the area.

My SIL called to say my brothers and their families had arrived in New Zealand. They'll be heading for Australia tomorrow. It was good to hear from them. I don't like it that they are gone at the same time and so far away.

Have a great weekend!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:57 AM   #7  

kate....I juut trimmed Jaz's face and but and now he needs a both...I could just use a cented wipe and rub him down and dip his feet in a bucket....

Tammy...sounds like a fun trip for your brothers.....gald you like Zumba so much, another lady was saying what fu it was.

Had to water again, hope we get rain today like they said. Made cookies last night..ate too many but they are tiny..a cranberry oatmeal, supposed to put glaze on them but they a good without.

Mj is over shadowing FArah.....they should be treated equally......and yes he was talented but do not compare him to Elvis please....two diff era's two diff people!
Old 06-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 253/228/145

Height: 5'7"

Hi every one I have not posted for a long time. I will catch up with all that is going on but wanted to say hi. My garden is starting to produce I have been eating my lettuce for a while now. I had my first squash and tiny eggplant yummy! The weather is really nice not to hot yet. Hope you all have a nice day Victoria
Old 06-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #9  

Good morning everyone. Finally got Queenie brushed out yesterday and she looked great....until this morning! She did about 5 drop-and-rolls on our morning walk at the park. She came home all wet from the grass and has "stuff" sticking to her fur. I'll have to do a once-over when she dries. God, she can be such a pain!! But I sure do love her...
Tammy, those Zumba classes are mostly at 6 pm in the evening all week long....not a great time for me. They only have 2 morning classes and they are Thurs and Fri. at 10 am. Looks like I will have to do 1 morning and 1 evening so I can space them. I don't think I would survive back to back classes!! I'll let you know next week. I'm going to have to be careful of that left shoulder regardless of any exercise I guess. It does feel a bit better today but I still have some issues with it. I'll just take it easy with that arm when I go.
New Zealand....wow, what an adventure. If they have pictures, can you post some if possible??
Hubby got called into work today. He wasn't too happy about it but he went in. They wanted him to work tomorrow too but he said no...not 7 days. He needs to de-stress at least one day. Driving on the roads all day in a big truck with all those idiot drivers makes him very tired....he's got to stay alert all day long. He's been working 12-14 hours a day lately. A big paycheck doesn't mean much if you have to kill yourself for it, right??
Has anyone heard of this liquid magnesium treatment for FM? It's a liquid supplement you apply to your arms and legs twice a day. (800 mg) It supposedly gets into your system faster than oral supplements of magnesium and helps with FM. It's called "DermaMag" and was on the "Everyday Health" website. I'm going to check it out further and see what it's all about.
Hi Victoria...looks like you are doing well on the weight loss! Wish I could say the same here...still eating too many "good" carbs and having trouble getting back to phase 1 of SB. I am hoping this Zumba class and getting out into the mainstream again will give me the incentive to do what I need to do to get the rest of this weight off.
We have had some decent rainfall the past couple afternoons/evenings so I haven't had to water anything. Candice, I used that Miracle Grow Moisture control soil and it really did help with that. My herbs look great on the patio in pots but my tomato plants are ready to get thrown out. There's a few stems of tomatoes left we are waitning for to ripen and then I will toss them. Not sure if I want to deal with all that again.
Having left overs tonight to clean out the fridge. Will shop for more fresh veggies Monday at the local roadside stand. Had seared halibut with lemon butter last night on a bed of fresh baby spinach sauteed with garlic and olive oil. I still love my North Atlantic cold water fish. I haven't developed a taste for the warm water fish here like tilapia, grouper, roughy. I still want my cod, haddock and halibut!! Hope everyone enjoys their day!
Old 06-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #10  

Hello everybody.

Yesterday, I went and babysat a garage sale as my cousin had to go to a funeral. It was out on an acerage. Today, I am paying the price with a raging sinus headache. All that darn fluff in the air and I was sitting outside enjoying the day (lots of vitamin D). Sale was pretty good, a steady stream of people, so the 5.5 hours went by quickly.

Hi Victoria, nice to see you back.

Kate - glad that you are getting rain., We sure need it. The counties have called for disaster help from the government, as the crops are just laying there doing absolutley NOTHING. Seeds have never germinated. Now here is a site on ZUMBA. Looks like a lot of fun. I presume it is an African dance type thing http://video.aol.com/video-detail/zu...off/1690545623

Be careful and have fun.

Well, must get ready to head out to Calgary for a birthdy celebration this evening. Hope you all have a good day.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #11  

Candice, I also made "healthy" cookies. Oatmeal, raisins, almonds - pretty tasty. The cranberries would be good too. Might have to try that sometime. MJ is definitely overshadowing FF.

Victoria, great to hear from you! Looks like the weight loss is going well for you. Having your own garden will sure come in handy!

Kate, I did laugh out loud about Queenie! Sorry, but I could just picture it. I am like you, I just love my puppy so much. He is so much company. Too bad there aren't more morning classes to choose from. Talk to the instructor about your shoulder. She might have some advice for you for the class. I'm terrible about knowing how to post pictures, but if they send me some I'll try to figure out a way. My brother did take a picture of my nephews and send it on the phone last night. The boys looked worn out already, probably from the long flight.
Agree about your hubby taking it easy. My brother in law was a truck driver, and it was causing all kinds of health problems so he doesn't drive anymore. I've never heard of that stuff for Fibro. Let us know what you learn about it.

Anne, hope your headache is better for you to enjoy the birthday celebration. Have fun!

AFter the last 5 days, I decided that this weekend I am taking it easy. I've done nothing today, and I actually feel kind of guilty. I may end up doing something on the exercise ball to get rid of the guilty feeling. OR I might just take a nap! lol
Old 06-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #12  

Default camping

Don't feel bad for us camping-we have a 31 foot 5th wheel with a large slideout-heat, ac, stove, refrigerator, shower, toilet. Etc.It's not roughing it although we only get 2 channels on our tv with a converter. Could hook up to satellite next door.
We came home last night to set up our sound system and now the new projection tv is awesome. We have a huge picture. I watched Remember the Titans!!
The tenant's son broke a vertabrae on the stupid rope swing they put up which is now down. Never a dull moment.
Bob and Pam are coming for dupper at the campground on Thurs night.
Avon lady coming early-bye for now. Mima
Old 06-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #13  

Good morning everyone. Cloudy and humid here past couple days. Heavy rain due this afternoon, if not sooner by the looks of it! My landscaper just pointed out a problem with my favorite "Foxtail" palm tree....might be some sort of fungus. Got a tree guy coming this afternoon to see what it is and will have to have it treated. Never a dull moment is right, Mima! It's always something. Hopefully it is a pest problem that can be easy to fixed. How old is this son of your tenant? He must be quite active to have broken a vertabrae from a rope swing. I hope he is okay....those kinds of injuries can follow you into adult life.
Having a problem with my stomach past two days. Not sure what is up with it but I'll bet it has something to do with my food choices lately. I need to get back to just protein and veggies again. I just can't stand the thought of eating eggs again for breakfast....they really, really are not appealing to me at all. It better not be some swine flu thing!! It looks like it's going to be a great day for napping!!!
Even Queenie has been cutting her morning walks short....very unusual for her. Perhaps she senses I am not truly up for a long haul....Great Pyrenees' are suppose to be adept at "reading" people and situations. I certainly think she is a smart dog!
I was going to try my first Zumba class tonight but may put it off untill tomorrow night instead. Not to make excuses but my tummy sure doesn't feel like bouncing around right now!
Mima, my friends come to Fla. every November and stay in their 5th wheel camper at a big campground just north of Sebastian Inlet near Melbourne. They love it. They are usually here until the beginning of March. They even have a gas fireplace in it and the sides "crank" out making the living area larger. It's quite the set-up.
Anne, I thought the Zumba exercise thing was latin in origin but I haven't read the entire article yet.
Hope everyone enjoys their day. I'm going to take it easy by the looks of things here....bye for now.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #14  

Mima, your camping sounds like my friend's camping. Definitely not roughing it. That's my way to do it!

The Zumba is more Latin based. The video that Anne had says that class is 90 minutes long. Mine is 60, but I do it right after 45 minutes of pilates. I am really sweating by the time I'm done.

Meeting some other retired teachers for lunch. Looking forward to it. We are meeting at Panera Bread, so I know I can get something healthy.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:02 PM   #15  

Default Hey There

Hello Everybody.. Thought I should check in and let you know although I have been reading your posts daily. I don't seem to have anything interesting to say.. I am really boring right now.. Got another sore toe. These ingrowns are always the same big toe.. I tried to get it out but just made it sore.. I just might have to break down and go to a podiatrist.. The last time I went to one they did nothing.. If I can get it pulled out it will stop hurting..
Kate I hope you are feeling better.. The summer heat takes it out of us.. I walk Christie 4 times a day.. She is not a happy camper either.
Mima.. Our daughter has a large 5th wheel too. They love it and the camping..
Happy.. I like garage sales. The neighbor had one this weekend. I don't know why but I just didn't get down to see what they had.. I said I don't have any place for what I have now ..
Joanne
Closed Thread