Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Question Fresh sour cherries

We spent several hours last night picking sour cherries at my sister's. Now what to do with all those cherries? Pies are out of the question...too many calories. I did find one recipe for fresh sour cherry cobbler that is about 230 calories a serving...but most of the recipes I am finding are either very caloric or call for canned cherry pie filling.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

I can't think if I have any recipes, however, I love them fresh. It seems silly to do so, but if you pit them and freeze them, they make dynamite additions to smoothies (think chocolate cherry protein shakes if you do post workout shakes). I can them and then make fruit salad all winter. I mix home canned peaches, sour cherries, and sweet cherries. Yum!

However, I'll admit that I get both sweet and sour cherries about 30 minutes from here (fresh from the farm)... washed, pitted, and in a bucket. So it's easy for me to can them as I don't need to pit them!

Last edited by RealCdn; 06-23-2009 at 02:38 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

You could try this website (using sour cherries in the top box):

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...advancedSearch

A lot of the recipes are from cooking light, but there are quite a few from higher calorie magazines (just look at the name before clicking)!

Oh, I just realized that you can go down and only search the magazines that you want.

Last edited by RealCdn; 06-23-2009 at 02:45 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #4  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Hungarian cold sour cherry soup comes to mind but it does have some sugar & sour cream in it. It is truly a wonderful summer treat. Hmmm....most of the recipes I know of are not really in the diet category. I'll try to think of what I used to do with sour cherries and see if I can come up with something suitable.

Meanwhile, if you can't find any suitable recipes right now, you could wash, pit & freeze the cherries. They keep for quite a while. I used to pit mine with a washed paper clip. Low tech but it worked.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My favorite way to eat sour fruits that need a bit of sweetening, is just to slice and add a bit of Splenda to taste. After a bit of time in the fridge (generally a couple hours is enough) the sweetener will dissovle and some of the liquid will release from the cherries, berries or rhubarb, so they make their own "sauce." Which is great by itself, or poured over sorbet or lower calorie icecream.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #6  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

You can ship some to me! (just kidding) A lifelong West Michigan girl who is used to picking tart cherries right from the tree and eating them fresh. I moved South to escape the winter and apparently too warm to grow them here. I can't even get them frozen at the grocery like I could back home during the off season. Sweet cherries, yes, but I like the flavor of the tart/pie cherries so much better.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #7  

I had some regular cherries that needed to be used the other day so I added them to a bag of frozen cranberries with Splenda and cooked it till it was a fairly thick almost jam-like consistency. I froze some and put some in the fridge. I have enjoyed it in marinades and just as a condiment.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #8  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

oh how I love sour cherries!! They're really hard to find around here and I eat them just fresh by themselves I could pop those suckers in my mouth and munch on them all day!
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

I did as someone suggested...washed and pitted them, then put them in the freezer in two-cup batches. I did find a reduced fat cobbler recipe I will try. My brother-in-law turned his into a pie...he's skinny as a rail and could eat pie every day and never gain an ounce; lucky him!
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote