Old 06-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #1  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Default when it rains, it pours

So I just got back from vacation.

- Two days before I left on vacation, my girlfriend broke up with me. Needless to say, that put a damper on things in Florida.

- In Florida, I went into "totally don't care" mode and binge ate and drank and ended up gaining close to 9 pounds in 8 days. YIKES.

- In the few days that I've been back, I've totally been back into the same old drinking habits. Last night I went out and as well as the night before. Today has to be the first day back and I have to stop this slide before it gets out of hand.

I've never really been as depressed as I am right now. Its hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel and I don't even know where to begin.

So, one day at a time. Today I hope to have a good day.

Last edited by matt_H; 06-23-2009 at 03:09 PM.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #2  

Im sorry.Life is full of disappointment at times.Hang in there....This to shall pass!!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #3  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

aww i dont know what to say ......
but that bites i hope you have a better day today too ....
maybe you should make today a 'pick me up day' whenever im down and out i take the day for myself go work out come home shower get all doll'd up and take myself to a movie and for dinner .... makes me feel de-stressed i guess is the right word for it .... seems to be just what you need
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #4  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Matt, I'm so sorry. What a tough time for you. The pain and depression from relationships ending is so very hard to take. I am sure it has taken its toll. You have a right to grieve and now is the time to take care of yourself.

So, what is the best way to take care of yourself? We all know that alcohol may temporarily help you, but it certainly isn't a long term solution. It will make you feel worse, more depressed, and in more pain. Binging? Again, maybe a temporary fix, but it will lead to feeling bloated and you will lose your confidence in how you look and how much progress you have made.

Take care of yourself by treating your body right. Eat the right foods so you have the energy to rebound. Get lots of exercise to work out the frustration and angry/depressed feelings. Those endorphins will kick in and you'll feel so much better. I'm not saying that you will be done with the pain in a moment's notice, but you won't prolong it by succumbing to bad habits.

You can get through this by taking it one day at a time. It won't be easy, but just make it through and the days will get better. Hang in there! Oh... and come back here often and post. This too will help!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #5  
Searching

There is nothing like a break-up to set you back a bit, at the end of my divorce in February I spiked back up to 224 lbs. The emotional eating doesn't heal the hurt it just makes you concentrate on something else and if you're carbing it up numb out a bit and perhaps putting you in the old up and down sugar high.

Now tell the truth, are you ready to pick up the pieces or do you need to gain a few more pounds before moving forward? Your sad, it's rainy outside, its cold (let's hope for sun on Thursday!), and it seems a little okay to be self indulgent.

The other side is to shine on. My ex was still stress eating and pushing 300 the last time I saw him. I had lost 19 lbs. Who do you think felt better at the end of that encounter I am moving on baby, and so can you.

Here is to better days.
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #6  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #7  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Here is some very tough love from someone who's been there.

You can either pick yourself up now...or pick yourself up 5 years/150 lbs heavier from now.

I wish I could go back in time and slap myself silly and scream at myself what I just said to you above. I wasted 5, almost 5 1/2 years on punishing myself for my failed marriage ~ and it TOTALLY was not my fault. The only person I was hurting was ME.

Quit hurting yourself! You deserve better than to drink and eat your life away. Getting drunk and binging isn't going to make you feel one bit better. Eating on plan and not drinking will at least make you feel a smidge better...then a bigger smidge...ad infinitum.

Kick the wall, scream, cuss, go for a run, break something, cry. But don't binge or drink, because it will not help.

I started seeing a shrink about a month after my ex asked for a divorce and the anti-depressants helped. I wish I'd been more open with him about what I was going through but even though I was under his care I was still embarrassed and didn't want to admit how bad it/I was. If I'd leveled with the dr he might have been able to do something to help me prevent myself from gaining all that weight back and then some. So 1) if you need it, get professional help to get through this and 2) level with your doctor. He's not your judge or critic, he's there to help you.

Sending you an enormous hug because you need & deserve it. You WILL get through this.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #8  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Listen to the ladies above me... they are very smart.

I just want to give you a HUGE hug. You will get through this. You will.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #9  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Matt....perk up, by being depressed and down you are letting this girl that broke up with you control your life. Don't let her still one more ounce of joy from your day or life!...There are so many things to be thankful for, quit hurting yourself with food and alcohol. You are destroying the great things you have done for yourself. Buck up bucko, get back on the horse and do good things for YOU!!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #10  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

wishing you a good day, Matt!! hang in there, you can get through this
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #11  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Sorry you are down. Dont let this get the best of you. And dont let this derail your healthy lifestyle. You are worth sticking this out and being good to yourself by sticking to your healthy plan that has allowed you to lose so MUCH weight already. Hang in there honey! Be good to yourself, cause you are in charge of yourself, nobody else, besides God.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #12  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

's! I've been there and it is difficult. However, you said it best. Take it one day at a time and know that your accomplishments are outstanding. You can get through this and any other trial that life throws at you. Look deep within yourself, then pull yourself up and get back to living that healthy lifestyle that has put many a smile on your face.
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #13  
no more hiding

S/C/G: 296/215/160

Height: 5' 5"

Hang on brother! Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Alcohol is bad news and you know it! Don't let her get you compeletly off the track. You can grieve without destroying your progress. You lost 142 pounds for YOU not her. You made a good step coming back here- you can get back on track. You don't need to drink it away tonight.
2behealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #14  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

It WILL pass, Matt. Although it may be hard to pull yourself out of this, I would consider just maintaining a success. Look at it this way -- when things do start to pick up, you'll feel much better if you haven't gained a whole bunch.

Hang in. I'm sorry so much has crashed down on you at once.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #15  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Matt, so sorry to hear about your girlfriend.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote