Old 06-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #1  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Default I hate my arms

Seriously. I'm trying to be positive, but ugh. They're big. And they're flabby. And I hate it.

I've started using the upper body weights at the gym, 2-3 times a week and when I do the elliptical I make sure I use the arm portion of the machine and actually put effort into it, but is there any other exercise that I can do to tone them up and make them shrink?
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #2  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

I don't think you can make them shrink just by exercising them more You just have to lose the fat to see some definition...unfortunately you can't selectively lose fat from different areas of your body. I've lost 3 inches off my waist since I started this and zero, yes zero, off my thighs At least you know that any cardio you're doing is helping you burn that fat and it WILL come off your arms eventually.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #3  
Brighter than the moon!

Sigh. Yeah, my weight is coming off of my boobs, waist, hips and thighs, but NONE off my calves and arms. I guess I'll be patient.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #4  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Welcome to my world.

When I lose weight, I just lose a bra size. I think it's god laughing at me.

I hate my arms too, though. And my thighs. Weight never wants to come off my thighs, it usually comes off my hips.

Last edited by Jelbb; 06-23-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #5  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Ugh, I feel your pain, girly... Of the ~115 lbs I've lost so far, I *swear* not a single ounce of it came from my arms. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but they are one of my biggest bodily insecurities. Right now they're really not even that FAT (i.e. there isn't that much fat stored up in them, or at least I don't think) but I have SO much loose skin in that area that it's constantly just hanging there, making them look all flabby and gross and deluding me into thinking that they haven't changed one bit since I started! Not to mention that my upper arms are literally streaked all over with the disgusting stretch marks that I've had since I was, like, 12--yeah, those aren't going away anytime soon... Grrrr.

I want to start trying to tone up my arms (as well as, uh, everything else! hehe), but I honestly don't even know where to start. Guess we're in the same boat!
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #6  
Master Water Retainer

S/C/G: 205/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

If I could take some of your arm fat in exchange for you taking some of my stomach fat, I would do it.

Just saying.
RubyGuggenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #7  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I understand this on many levels, too. My major problem area is my hips. I tried on skirts and jeans today and they fit around my waist very loosely as well as my legs but then they are either tight or perfect around my hips. I'm like Oh, and on my back I have these things I like to call "back boobies". They just won't ever seem to go away and I never feel comfortable wearing fitting t-shirts. But my arms are big -- not as big as they use to be -- and they drive me crazy also. I don't have any quick tips for getting rid of that flab, but I'm sure with lots of hard work we can help fix these areas even if it's just a bit. Keep your head up!
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #8  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

i soooo feel your pain i hate my arms and my calves too ... but im more concerned about my arms seeing as how it more heavily restricts my clothing options ..... its so fustrating ! but im sure as we lose weight it will shrink down a bit ... and if not ... well i just tell myself it could be worse you are your own worst critic im sure its not as bad as you think it is
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/163/120

Height: 5'2"

I hate my arms too!! And mine are genetically fat. My mom has flabby arms, my aunt does and my grandma had them as well, so it seems kind of hopeless to have nice toned arms in the future.

BUT, last year I lost about 15 lbs (that I easily regained) and I was working out a lot, too. The combination of weight loss and arm toning exercises (bicep curls, tricep dips and extensions, push ups) helped me get some definition and I think if I had lost another 10 or 15 lbs, they might have gotten to a size I would have been comfortable with. But over the past year, I gained the weight back, stopped exercising as much as I had been and my arms became flabby again.

So, maybe there is hope. Let me know when you get there!
ruby5839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/147/130

I hate my arms tooo!

maybe you should try weight lifting to tone them up? that's what I do plus of course aerobics.
beautifulmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

OMG thanks for starting this thread! My flabby arms drive me insane. The only way they look good is if I stretch my arms up in the air and the fat and skin hang down and kind of blend into my arms! I did get up the nerve to start wearing tank tops but I will only wear them in the house and sometimes outside to talk to my neighbors. My flabby belly drives me insane too. I try to stick w/the cardio and watching what I eat to continue to lose weight but it is frustrating to know I really can't do anything about the excess skin. I'm hoping over time some of these areas tighten up. If anyone has tried anything that's worked please let me know!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 198/128/124

Height: 5'8"

I second that!! I hate my arms. I call them "lunch lady arms" they are soooo flabby and disproportionate to the rest of my weight loss. And the fact that I have stretch marks there too doesnt help. Its 93 degrees and what am I wearing? Long sleeves!
blackbeltchica19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #13  

Height: 5'9"

I also hate my arm flubber!!! I wish I could wear a tank top and feel comfortable!!
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #14  
Brighter than the moon!

I've started to do the weights at the gym, so maybe 2-3 times a week will make a slow difference. My collar bones have started to come back (FRIGGIN YAY) so maybe arm definition is next. Oiy.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #15  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I can relate too. Of my 20 inches lost only 1 inch has been on my arms and that was well over a year ago. They don't budge. It's genetics. My mom, grandma, aunt and cousin have bigger arms too.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote