Old 06-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Default Stalled

I have been debating posting about this but think that it will help. After 8 months of slow but steady loss, I have not only stalled but gained 2 pounds.
Four weeks ago I weighed 222 pounds. Then……

Weeks 1 and 3 – I was out of state taking care of my mil who has cancer and visiting other relatives. I really thought that I did well eating wise. Much of my calorie counting was estimating but I tried to stick to my calorie limit. I did not get in all my exercise but did some.

Week 3 – I got home and I had gained the 2 pounds. I did not worry because I always have water gain after a long car trip. I thought they would be gone in a couple of days but they must have been happy on my body because they decided to stay around. I had been home three days when my son had an emergency and was in the hospital for 4 days. Even though I was at the hospital most of that time, I was able to count calories. The hospital posted the nutritional information for all their food in the cafeteria and it was really easy to count calories. I could not exercise as normal but did take the stairs and got to go walking a couple of times.

Week 4 – Back home and stayed on plan 100%. After the entire week, I still have those two extra pounds and am getting frustrated.

My plan –

*1500 calories a day - I am weighing and/or measuring everything to be sure that I do not have portion creep.
*30 minutes of walking every day and working with my resistance bands 3 times a week.

Do you think it is time for me to drop my calorie limit? I would think that at 224, I would lose on 1500 calories. Should I give it another week as is? Any suggestions?
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I would actually suggest that you up your calorie limit a hundred and mix up your exercise. At your weight, you may be able to lose on more calories.
And
A body gets used to a routine and thus that routine becomes less effective.

Last edited by CountingDown; 06-20-2009 at 03:22 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm no expert, but if it were me, I would keep my calories the same and DEFINITELY increase my exercise. I would do LOTS more cardio then 30 minutes a day.

Also just wondering what KINDS of calories you're consuming - I can't recall your plan, but if I remember correctly - it's fairly "clean", yes? If not, perhaps you can increase the protein and fiber.

Sounds like you've had a pretty challenging month. Your determination to stay on plan throughout it all is a true testament to making this a "lifestyle change". With a little tweaking and perseverance, you'll have that scale dropping again soon.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #4  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Oh my, you've been under a fair bit of stress lately.

I don't know if there is a scientific basis for it--or it's just one of those things, but your body could be holding onto those few teeny tiny pounds just because of the stress. How's you sleep been? Not getting enough rest can also slow down your weight loss.

I hope everything calms down for you soon!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #5  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

hi,

im sorry for the stress in your life, and im thinking that might be the cause, also, there are good calories, and bad calories, and if you were eating clean, and having good calories before your trip to take care ove MIL, and then although you kept the same amount of calories, but were eating not so good food( i know the hospital food is not always that great, and can be high in fat), your body might be storing the fat from them.

my suggest would be stay at 1500 calories, maybe increase your walking to 30 minutes twice a day..the reason im saying to split the exersice is cause when we exersice it raises the fat burning for about 2 hrs after we finished. and make sure you are eatin g the good calories, drinking lots of water, and getting enough rest

and remebr we all have our ups and downs

ang
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #6  
One day at a time!

Thank you CountingDown, Robin, Alana and Ang

I have been reading through my food diary trying to figure this out. I have never been clear on exactly what "clean" eating is but have gone to pretty basic eating, a lot of chicken, vegetables, and fruit. I use the Daily Plate to help me balance my protein and carbs.

I do let myself have one "junk" item a day, within the calorie limit of course.

I think that I am going to take a deep breath and try to relax. I will stick to the 1500 maximum and increase the cardio to an hour a day. I am going to try to stay off the scale for a week and see what happens.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I agree with the other gals on your exercise habits - upping it may help - but I just wanted to extend a big cyber hug. That is a huge amount of stress, and cortisol levels absolutely impact both our eating habits and metabolism. Make sure you are taking care of yourself and being healthy, and if that is the case then leave the scale to itself for a little bit, and I think it will show progress in due time.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 AM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Sorry your time's been so stressful. You've lost so well and what you've been doing, it seems strange to me that one day it works, the next day it doesn't - but I'm no expert.

I think the stress might be a big factor and think stepping back, drawing breath and giving yourself a break from at least this anxiety will help. <<hugs>>
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:24 AM   #9  

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
I think that I am going to take a deep breath and try to relax. I will stick to the 1500 maximum and increase the cardio to an hour a day. I am going to try to stay off the scale for a week and see what happens.
That sounds like a very good plan. Hang in there!
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #10  
One pound at a time...

I know this sounds easy to say, but hang in there. In my experience, when I am under stress I hold onto my weight like nobody's business. Take a deep breath stay on plan, and it will come.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #11  
Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLabLover View Post
I know this sounds easy to say, but hang in there. In my experience, when I am under stress I hold onto my weight like nobody's business. Take a deep breath stay on plan, and it will come.
Amen, it seems that stress has its own ability to hold on to the fat and when you calm down it melts away.
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #12  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I think everyone has given you some great advice here...
take care of yourself. It will come off. Change up your exercise. Have you tried running? I just started (I really really hate it, however) I walk one lap, run one lap etc. It really gets your heart rate going. You want to be sweating!!! Let us know how it goes.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #13  
One day at a time!

Thanks Charbar,

I would love to run but my knees just could not take it. I am thinking about getting one of those rock and roll steppers. I think that it would change up my exercise but not be hard on the knees.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:46 PM   #14  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Agreeing with everyone who says that stress can negatively affect your metabolism. Be gentle with yourself.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote