Old 06-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #1  
~*Dawn*~

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default No carbs after lunch?

One of my friends told me she sees a big difference in her weight loss when she doesn't have or limits her carbs after noon, every day? Is this all in her head or does it really work?
DMNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #2  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

I have seen diets where they carb out in the morning, eat a balance at lunch and then low carb for supper. Ultimately, weight loss is only a simple math equation - burn more than you eat, burn 3500 more and you loose a pound! So, to loose a pound in a week, you need to burn 500 more per day than you consume.

I do think that folks find something that works for them in a placebo-type way. It gives them something other than the equation to point to and helps them to feel like they are sticking with their diet more.

There is a different physiological thing that happens when you eat carbs vs. protien. You may want to look up the different ways these are digested to get an idea of what time of day to eat more or less of each.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #3  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

I've never heard of that...I figure no matter when you eat the carbs/calories...you've eaten them, you know? Maybe it makes her feel better.
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 174/131.5/132

Height: 5'8"

I agree with the above posters, to me a calorie is a calorie no matter what time of the day you eat it.
njsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe when your friend doesn't eat carbs later in the evening she doesn't feel the need to snack and therefore eats less calories overall?

I know me personally I try not to carb it up at dinner cuz then I just want to snack- but I have insulin resistance issues.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #6  
It's a Climb-Miley Cyrus

S/C/G: 0/-1/-11

Height: 5'1"

njsweetpea - I'm sure you're right, I tend to believe that too. However, after tracking my daily intake on fitday for a few days, I've discovered that my carb intake is well over 60% and fat and proten are generally below 20%. I started thinking that I'm having trouble losing because of my overly high intake of carbs. I know 30/30/40 is just a guideline, but over time, would my situation not cause health problems?
GLChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 174/131.5/132

GLChick, you bring up several excellent points especially about overall health. The 40/30/30 really seems to work for me and to me, all carbs are not created equal. Rather than just the numbers, my theory is it may also be the types of carbs we eat. Carbs are really your energy source so I want good fuel in my tank when I workout. I tend to avoid highly processed carbs, especially products that contain "enriched" white flour and high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweetners in favor of whole grain products and fresh fruits. I also try to always eat my carbs with some protein.
njsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #8  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMNewman View Post
One of my friends told me she sees a big difference in her weight loss when she doesn't have or limits her carbs after noon, every day? Is this all in her head or does it really work?
There are many studies & articles reporting that your friend's methods can lead to better weight loss. It goes along with the long-time theory that people should eat a large breakfast (with a lot of complex carbs in it along w/protein), a smaller lunch and an even smaller dinner giving one lots of nutrition/energy in the beginning of the day and tapering off in the evening when it will be time for bed soon.

The Western diet does this in reverse often skipping breakfast when we really need some fuel for the day, having a big lunch & a huge dinner...then often becoming inactive at night watching TV or whatever as our day winds down. In this eating style people often don't burn off many of the calories they consumed.

So, I don't think it is in her head.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 264.2/189/150

I believe Jillian Michaels recommends against eating carbs right before bed because it interferes with the release of certain hormones that help with weight loss that occurs about an hour after you go to sleep.
cincimom11 is offline   Reply With Quote