Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/108/100

Height: 4ft 11

Default do i have low metabolism?

Hiya guys

i am starting to get anoyed here! i have been dieting calorie counting for about 4 month and have lost a stone! however that was in the first month! since then altough i have not really changed my diet from the first month and excercise the same i am finding it really tough! why?

i find i loose a pound one then one day i might have a cider or some ice cream (**** its the weekend u have to enjoy life right?) then i find i have put it all back on! all i have to do is smell food and i out on weight? do i have a problem?

thanks guys

shaz
mysticshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

You may need to tweak your calorie intake and lower it a bit. And you need strategies for enjoying the weekend that don't involve ice cream!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You could also up the workouts- your body does get used to them.

And one day of eating off can ruin a whole week of eating on plan.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Just one thought;

not really changing your diet and NOT REALLY changing your diet can be a little different. A little ice cream here and there never hurt anyone, so long as those calories are allotted into your daily intake.

And not to jump the post here, but I think I now want Tyler's legs!!!! I just noticed you changed your avatar. I know you are quite a bit taller than me but if running gave you those legs, me and my treadmill are going to become best buddies. I am just beginning to get some muscle definition on the outside of my thigh, but I see that you also have the muscle going on with the inner thigh. Again, great legs
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Well, I've been on my weight loss strategy for five months. I didn't weigh in for the first four and I only started measuring in the third month. I had tons of various sized clothes that I used as my guide to moving forward. I read that successful health improvements include increasing bone density, increasing muscle, and such. These can make you seem to not lose weight. So, I didn't want to use weight loss only. One thing that's important to me, though, is actual loss of weight. Improvement of appearance has been a great bonus, but my main goal is reduction of weight because of the severe pain in my knees and ankles. I've seen a huge improvement to the pain and I've lost a lot of weight. I'm going to continue to lose to allow me to actually carry something more than a light purse without making my weight go towards the pain thresholds again.

As for low metabolism, I was very careful to eat throughout the day, get my eight or so hours, keep stress down, and really carefully watch calories. For me, if I'm only "eye-balling" the food I eat and not measuring/writing down, then it's like asking the fox to watch the hen house. I'm not the "best judge" when left alone.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

No Shaz, not likely. But it's definitely time for you to reassess something.

Here's a couple of questions for you.

How are you tracking your calories? Do you track those times when you have ice cream or a drink? What is your exercise like?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #7  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

I'm not much more experienced than the original poster, and I'd like to jump in with a question of my own based on the, ah, ice cream question.
If you're calorie cycling (which I am) and bounce back and forth between 1000 and 1700 and day through out the week (usually more towards the low end of the spectrum--I consider a 1700 calorie day a very full day, and I should be very full!) and then on the weekend, you have perhaps 2000 calories a day as an average, returning to, say, 1000-1200 on Monday and regular exercise--will the weekend really ruin a whole weeks worth of work?
I am asking (in very long, rambling run-on sentence form) because that's basically a recap of my past week, and I saw a 7lb loss M-F, and a 7lb gain F-Sun. I had a cheat meal a day this weekend, which I know is too much anyway, but I didn't expect to gain EVERYTHING back!
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #8  

Munchievictim ... no.

What you've gained over the weekend is not fat. It'll be poor food choices, water/salt weight. I don't even trust that 7 lb loss. Something else is happening here.

I'm going to suggest that you make sure the average of your daily calories is around 1700. Nice clean, healthy calories.

I'll be here for a half hour or so if you want to clarify things, OK?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchievictim View Post
I'm not much more experienced than the original poster, and I'd like to jump in with a question of my own based on the, ah, ice cream question.
What you want to look at is your average calories across the whole week. This is what is going to matter in the loooooong run. Obviously, you don't want to get into a cycle of binging on the weekend and then starving throughout the week (I know that's not what you are describing, it's just an extreme example).

I know I budget higher calories for the weekends and am therefore very careful during the week days.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #10  

Don't see anything to indicate thyroid condition. It sounds like you need to plan for your weekends more strictly than you have been. I gave up drinking 30 years ago because I don't want to waste calories on empty calories and 1 scoop of ice cream is my limit. I wish you luck.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #11  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

SusanB--I was experimenting with weight lifting (my dad is a bodybuilder and was showing me the ropes) and I was getting about 1700 calories a day and burning them up and losing, STILL at a rate of like 6 lbs a week, with extreme swings back up and then back down. My only fear with 1700 calories is that it leaves me less room to mess up--but I guess the point here would be "don't mess up!" huh? I'm definitely willing to give it a try. Thank you.
Tyler Durden(I love that movie)--I have always been something of an extremist, and unfortunately this carries over into my weight loss as well. I've been a binge eater for a long time, and struggled with eating disorders (starvation, purging) in high school, so I have a tendency towards eating very little for several days and then succumbing to a binge..or two..or three. It's something I've been battling ever since I started making an effort to be healthy--but I'm up for fighting the good fight against it.

munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #12  

Morning!

I don't think you'll have to drop down from 1700 very easily. You still have room to improve your weekends and quality of your foods.

Talk to your Dad about foods too. Try to keep those calorie levels a little more constant and hang out with us. We'll help.

Have you been to the weight lifting threads?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchievictim View Post
SusanB--I was experimenting with weight lifting (my dad is a bodybuilder and was showing me the ropes) and I was getting about 1700 calories a day and burning them up and losing, STILL at a rate of like 6 lbs a week, with extreme swings back up and then back down.

Your up and down swings are not body fat. It could be water weight alternating between retaining after a meal high in sodium vs a little dehydrated after an intense workout and not replenishing your body with enough water. Also, the body can carry anywhere from 7-10 lbs of weight in the intestines! It depends on your diet. Some foods move faster through the intestines then others...and from my understanding they don't come out in the order they go in!! (Food low or void of fiber like meats, especially red, will stay longer.)
Hope that helps!!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 152/108/100

Height: 4ft 11

i am guesing after some thought that i am probably kidding my self a little that i am eating the same as when i first started out and am now about 90% strict with myself if that makes sense?

it its frustrating how i weigh myself and have put on 2 pounds in a day and i guess i panic although when i think carefully i know my tummy didnt feel as empty as when i usualy weigh in and its probably undigested food! never the less when i next go food shopping i plan to buy low fat/weight watcher ready meals then i know i am having the right amount of calories and portion size!

much love
mysticshaz is offline   Reply With Quote