Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 135/135/120

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

Prozac works wonders and did not cause any weight gain. A lot of times people with depression have sleep issues and are given medication for that as well. I was given peractin wich caused a major appetite boost. Good luck!
staceface111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 180/166.5/131

Height: 5'3

So its now june --- what medication did you end up going on? How has it worked out for you?
mizmizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #18  

Height: 4'11"

I've been on Wellbutrin for several years, and ithas not caused me to gain weight or have increased appetite. My mom has had good luck with Celexa. I think everyone has different reactions, just tell your psych your concerns and work to gether to find something right for you.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 230/227/140

Height: 5'5

I have tried 3 different Anti's.. After having my first 2 children I was on zoloft and boy did I gain weight! After becoming pregnant with my 3rd child I switched to prozac. I actually found that it curbed my appetite and lost 30lbs within the first 6 months without any type of dieting or exercise. After my 4th child I decided to try to "quit" the meds because one of the side effects of Prozac is insomnia after long term use. I couldn't find a sleeping pill that didn't give me that morning hang over so I thought it best to just quit the Prozac but once my husband was deployed it was inevitable that I needed something to help. I tried paxil and found that it made me feel hungry CONSTANTLY! So I have gone back to old reliable Prozac along with Lunesta as needed should the insomnia come back. I truly believe that you should never feel bad about needing to be medicated and you should use what is BEST FOR YOU not what someone else has suggested. Different medicines affect us all differently!
MomOf4Under4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 148/109/105

Height: 5'3

Gained 20 lbs on Lexapro. Just lost the 20lbs from Lexapro after being on Wellbutrin for 2 months.

GO WELLBUTRIN! It has changed my life! Remember, every medicine works differently for each person. What may have made one person gain may cause no change in weight or even a weight loss for you.

Best of luck!
Biju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #21  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

personally I would advise to stay away from Paxil and Effexor if you don't want to risk weight gain...
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #22  
It is what it is...

Anti depressants dont make you gain weight, over eating and not exercising make you gain weight...

I was on Zoloft 100 mgs for several years, in that time managed to lose about 60 pds....so it didnt affect me being able to lose

I have now been on Lexapro for the past two years...same thing, anytime I actually watch my calories and diet, like I am now, no problem losing.
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #23  
video game junkie

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I've been on and off antidepressants since I was 16, and have used most of the ones stated in the above thread, with the weight gain issues and loss of libido on most of them.

I'm out in California now, where medical cannabis is legal, and for the past year have been treating my depression/anxiety/pain with a more "herbal" routine. So far it's been working great!! I've finally been able to get off the pills. I've also found a good sativa is very motivating to exercise and keep my energy level up. The only problem I do have is when switching to an indica at night before bed. I find that's what gives me the major munchies.

Just hit the store for some popcorn/crackers/mini veggies to try to curb that particular issue. It's been hard with only my roomies snacks in the house, which are not the most diet friendly. LOL

I hope the mods don't have an issue with me discussing this here, as I am talking about it medicinally, not recreationally, and under the care of my doctor and therapist.

Last edited by Lissus; 06-18-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Lissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #24  
Serenity

S/C/G: 217/213/198/150

Height: 5' 6"

Weight gain is for sure an icky side effect of lots of meds, but for me the alternative is worse. I don't like the weight gain but I will take it over being trapped in my house, spending days in bed or worse being dead. As my brain, heart and soul get healthy (with the help of a wonderful psychologist and Paxil) my body is following .......... as I deal with "why" I eat it is easier to make the right decisions on what to eat - I know I need to work harder as my meds do seem to make the weight stick, but as I bring down my dose from 40mg to 10mg for maintenance I am hoping it will get easier to burn some of this weight off :0) Look after yourself
Serenity67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

Yes, yes we all react differently to medication and what works for some may or may not work for others. As far as weight gain goes, i've been on Celexa and Effexor before (seperately) and have felt horrible and gained weight on both. I went a stretch of about two years off medication because i just felt so miserable and thought maybe i just really need to work on myself in my own way.(exercising, possitive self talk, friends, family, etc..etc..) well thats all fine and dandy and ive improved a lot but a couple of months ago my doctor thought i should try Prozac. I feel wonderful! I had lost hope with the other meds and wanted to cry when i found that Prozac was making me feel like me agian! If anything i have a loss of appetite and have been able to effectively diet and lose wieght on Prozac! good luck to all of you girls!
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #26  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I was on Wellbutrin and had zero appetite and no compulsion to binge. It was fantastic! A dream come true. Until half my hair fell out. No more Wellbutrin for me. I gained back all the weight I had lost on Wellbutrin with Cymbalta, but I think that had more to do with my compulsive eating feelings coming back as it didn't have the same effect as Wellbutrin for me. Now I'm not on anything and just doing therapy.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote