Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #1  
Waiting for summer

S/C/G: 255.5/248.5/190

Height: 5'10

Default Medication and appetite

I am going to see a new psychiatrist in April and I am wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with medication for anxiety/depression? I have heard that anti-depressants usually cause a boost in appetite...any advice? I have been taking Citolopram for 7 years and I think it has lost its effect.

aaneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 193/190-ish/140

Height: 5'7"

I gained a ton of weight on Lexapro, but my appetite seemed to decrease, if anything. Weirdest thing.

Risperdal also caused a serious ballooning of my weight- in fact, that's when I first got seriously fat.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #3  
Less chow for more wow!

I've been on Effexor for a while. At first the appetite wasn't an issue, but the last 6-9 months have been increasingly difficult. I've put on weight and that makes the depression kick in worse.

I've found this program called the Serotonin Power Diet that really helps! It helps boost your serotonin and keeps your body in check. It also helps ALOT as an appetite suppressant and mood stabilizer. Coupled with medications it helps me, maybe it would worth checking out for you too.

serotoninpowerdiet.com
BoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:44 AM   #4  

The best way are not the medication, you need support at first place !
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Ask your doctor about wellbutrin. It tends to lead to weight loss rather than weight gain, but of course, it's not for everyone. It's definitely not for anyone who has ever had bulimia or anorexia, and as with all medications, it can cause dangerous side effects in some people.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/152/125

Height: 5'4''

I gained about 25 lbs while on taking paxil for 1.5 years. I have since stopped taking it and sort of plateaued at weight gain, I experienced a quick gain and then it sort of tapered off. I am doing fine now without the medication, just need to get rid of the weight!
lady bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:42 AM   #7  

I gained 20lbs on Wellbutrin.I think most antidepressents are weight gainers.I would guess if I had been more mindful of this I would have been able to control it.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 370/320/190

Height: 5'7"

Well the only two anti-depressants that haven't affected my appetite are Wellbutrin and Cymbalta. Cymbalta actually made me much more energetic, but I'm bipolar so that's a big no-no. Too bad though, it actually controlled my cravings pretty well.
Wellbutrin has been really good to me though, I've been on it for 2 years. I don't know about making me lose weight, but it didn't make me gain.
fenderella5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:53 AM   #9  

I'm on Celexa, 3 years, weight loss, not gain.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 318.9/ticker/165

Height: 6'

A lot of people have lost weight when they started taking Zoloft.
Skinnycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 233/233/175

Height: 5ft7

Default Blondie32

For me, I relized that the depression was from the weight gain. I came close to getting on meds different times in my life thinking it was the answer. However I studied about it and prayed hard. For me meds would have affected my emotions and feelings of who I really am. Serving God to the fullest and losing weight helped me
Blondie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 154/140/ undecided 129ish ?

Height: 5.6

Mirtazapine is another one that causes increased appetite and eight gaing i managed to gain 2 and half stone on it.
makelovenotwarcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/166.5/131

Height: 5'3

I've heard good things about wellbutrin though I've never tried it. I went on zoloft when I was 17 though and thats when I gained most of the weight which I have never seemed to lose =/ =(
mizmizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #14  
Pudgy male kitten

The very nature of anti-depressants can lead to an increase in appetite. Serotonin is a component of appetite. Since most anti-depressants work on controlling the serotonin levels in your brain, they are also going to affect your appetite.

However, the experience of most who have spoke about this is that the SSRIs increase their appetite. Yet, the increase of production of serotonin in the brain has also shown results in appetite suppressants.

Again, though, anti-depressants will effect different people in different ways. So that while for many it increases their appetite, it may prove to do the opposite in others.

I suspect that anti-depressants don't effect the serotonin product enough to act as a suppressant, and to take the dosage to the point it may could be harmful in other ways.

For those on anti-depressants and who are gaining weight, it's a tough battle and can require a big alteration in lifestyle. Clearly eating less and choosing more unprocessed foods is beneficial to everyone, but moreso to those who are taking anti-depressants, in addition to an increase in exercise.

For me, though I've been on a couple for many a moon now, I still find it tough slugging. I've got insomnia and when I do fall asleep, my brain does not and thus I never really feel rested. I find it very difficult, then, to get out there and exercise because I feel so tired all the time. I have a CPAP machine, but I've taken to it like a fish does to herding sheep.
Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #15  
On my way to a new me!

S/C/G: 205/168/145

Height: 5'6 ~ 44

well for anxiety/depression i have found paxil and abilify worked the best for me, but both caused to me gain a substantial amount of weight like 80lbs which caused me to be more depressed, i recently got myself off of the abilify by cutting down till i stopped... and want to try cymbalta but need a new shrink.... good luck with whatever you take, u might want to look into xanax or valium for panic attacks instead of a pill you take everyday!
Savora is offline   Reply With Quote