South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Whew! Weekend Wows, Woes and Wishes

It's the weekend! Wow! at the red sunrise! Woe is me because rain is coming and I wish you all a great day. Whew because I can give this alliteration craze a break.

Did OK at the memorial service yesterday. My theatre training helped me out and I was able to ad lib the eulogy - even got some laughs describing urban Harry's adjustments to rural life. Of course there was the "lunch" afterwards but I escaped with just tea and a wee piece of cheese. I picked up the first of the local strawberries on the way home. Yum! The real taste of summer!

The lads didn't show to hack up the tree yesterday. They are very busy working on cottages at the lake. If they aren't around this morning, I may call in a few favours. I'll be around all morning as I am expecting a delivery of some wood for a raised veggie bed.

I also need to make two different custard pies - lemon and coconut - to freeze and then thaw to see how that works. Only two more weeks until the big Church dinner and Claire and I are down to making only 22 pies now thanks to some volunteers. (With 300 people to serve, you'd think we'd need just 50 pies at 6 pieces per pie BUT almost everyone has two pieces at these feeding frenzies!) I'll thaw the pies Sunday, make and bake the meringue and we'll do the taste test at after-Church coffee. I'm not sure how well custard pies freeze although I know pumpkin is great.

What am I doing sitting here and babbling away? Time for another coffee and breakfast with strawberries. (Sorry Phase I folks but you can have them soon!)

Wishing you a Wonderful Weekend!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Whew! indeed, Ruth! I bet you're all worn out after that one! Have another cup of coffee on me.

We have just the normal Saturday morning shopping and errands. I was hoping that Monica and the girls would come out later, but wild weather is predicted so that may not be happening. Maybe tomorrow. I have to think about what to do for my Dad for Father's Day, too. He doesn't want anything, and is on a strict diet because of his heart, so it's hard to take him out to eat. Maybe I'll get him a movie or some music. I think he'd enjoy that.

What's on everyone's agenda for the weekend?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning

Hello there Ruth. You have finally outdone yourself. I'm not touching today's alliteration with a 10 foot pole. Of course, your Wow has me homesick for Alaska. I just don't get the sunrises here because of the mountains. At my little beach cottage the sunrise was breathtaking every single morning. Again, I wish I could be there to help with the pies. It is a talent I wish to learn. Have a great day and I hope your tree gets dealt with.

Mornin', Cottage. Ahh...what I would give for a run of the mill day. Enjoy it!

Me, I'm free until 12:30, and the pool is too wild. Strawberry Days and 2 big bike races=lots of people. Theres a parade at 10, but I've never been, so why start now. Nursing home this afternoon, then I'm home free. We did go ride the ferris wheel last night. Always fun. We walked around and I breathed through my mouth when we went by the funnel cakes.

Best Wishes to everyone! I'm hoping to hear good news from Twynn.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #4  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

morning ladies...i'm heading out early this morning have stuff to do for the baby shower. hope everyone has great day
Old 06-20-2009, 08:04 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning I was having a leisurely morning when I got an email from the guy running a bird trip tomorrow. WE assumed it would be canceled but it's on so I've been busily finding possible cabins/motels (with Wifi because god forbid we should go a night without the internet!). I've got a minute now though

Ruth - I hope the rain holds off for awhile. Enjoy those strawberries.

Cottage - We lucked out this year. My Dad's grill died so we are giving him a gift card to buy a new one (he wants to pick out his own, of course). Hope the weather turns out to be more threat than reality.

Debbie - I have developed this weird thing for food smells. Sometimes I just want one good sniff of chocolate or bakery. It doesn't cause cravings for me, I just enjoy the smell. How weird.

Me - wow you have been an exercising maniac! Bet you feel great

I'm going to pick the most important things from my weekend To DO list and try to get through them today. Picking strawberries rises to the top because it's a time limited thing. We scheduled the birding trip weeks ago but I thought the weather would postpone it. We are going to the White Mtns in search of boreal birds. Should be a lot of fun and some good exercise. I better get moving!
Old 06-20-2009, 08:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Happy Weekend!

I threatened my family last night about waking me up. Jeff got up and left. I don't even know where he is! Auston came down and 6:25 and whispered, loudly, "MOOOOM, Did I let you sleep?"

Ruth, Who was Harry? He must have been someone wonderful as I've heard you mention him several times.

Cottage, I get my dad the same thing every year -- a new shirt with a pocket. I tried to vary, but he fusses.

Lexxiss, Strawberry Days, Ferris Wheels, Parades... How much fun!

Me4Life, Enjoy the baby shower!

Cyndi, Our strawberries are gone. You are right, the season is too short!

Me: Just a Saturday here, too. Laundry, cleaning, shopping. Tomorrow, my MIL is hosting Father's Day lunch. I'm in charge of rice (being the CoonAss in the family ) and a veggie. Auston and I may hit the farmer's market this morning for something fresh and yummy.

I need Mommy Advice -- Last night, we went to a Thrift Store. I turned around and Auston was standing next to a little girl with cerebral palsy, just looking at her. I called him back to me and said, "Auston, we don't stare at people." What else should I say to him? I want him to be compassionate. I also don't want him to be scared of handicapped people. I'm sure I handled it all wrong.

Last edited by Chelby29; 06-20-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning,

I awoke to wonderful sunshine but last night I awoke to scary winds and thunder and lightening. I'll take the sunshine

Ruth- all I can say is Wow you bet me hands down with busy.

Cottage- enjoy your day. My dad lives so far away 11 hour drive we never are with him for father's day, but he is with all of my sisters in Orlando so I am sure he is having fun.

Debbie- way to go avoiding those food temptations.

Met4life-

Cyndi- way to go with the exercising- hope you get everything done today

Chelby- I have the same problem with my 5 year old- they are honest to the point of rudeness- I have to explain to Mackenzie to please not tell someone they are fat it will hurt their feelings.

Today we are doing the play which is Aladdin Junior at the nursing home so that should be fun, the kids are doing so good. Though I have heard the script and songs so many times I have them memorized After that is just play time- I am not motivated to clean but will try to fit some in before we leave so I better get moving.

Have a great day everyone
Old 06-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Good morning chicks!

Only have a minute...you guys are going early today!

Chelby - I understand. Ethan didn't want to play with an outgoing girl at the playground last year that had Down's syndrome. He said she "looked different". I tried to tell him 'wouldn't that hurt his feelings' if he were her, but I don't think they get it. I dunno. I'll be watching for some wisdom!

We closed on the house last night. YIPPEE! I still love it, and can't wait to make it our own. My husband started tearing down an indoor planter, I started pulling off the kitchen wallpaper. And then we talked to the neighbor probably TWO hours!! Their kids are 8 and 5, mine are 6 and 4. Never mind, they have a pool and a trampoline . I haven't hit it off that well with someone in a while, and it's quite a relief.

I have a short day at work today (hopefully, it stays that way!), then work on the house!!!! (and glad we have something to do, because the weather is MISERABLE)

Have a great day!
Old 06-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #9  
Working on healthy

Chelby- He is just curious as he is about everything he hasn't experienced. It's okay for him to look and ask, that's how he will learn. Just explain as best you can and he will file that away.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

When he was 2, we saw a man with a patch over one eye. He pointed and yelled, "CAPTAIN FEATHERSWORD!!!" Sheesh!!!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #11  
Working on healthy

but it's so innocent, that was his point of reference That's one of the things I love about working with children - everything is just information to them. They aren't judging people the way adults do. They are much more concerned with birthday parties A good friend of mine from Britain tells a story about moving to America and her young son encountering some of the Jamaicans who work the farms here. He was actually afraid of them at first because where they came from in Scotland he had never encountered anyone that dark skinned. Once he understood that they were just regular people with different skin color he followed them all over the place and went looking for them because they got to do things outside and they were really nice to him.

Speaking of farms - I am now the proud owner of slightly less than 10 lbs of strawberries. I don't want to know how much less because that's how many I started out with and I've eaten the rest

Last edited by CyndiM; 06-20-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Chelby, I totally agree with Cyndi's opinion. Children are naturally curious, and that's how they learn. I do tell the kids not to do or say anything rude, but it's OK to talk to them and ask questions. Most people are happy to answer their questions, and I think it gives kids a better understanding and respect for other people's disabilities. And kids are very accepting of other's disabilities, too, once their curiousities are answered.

It's turned out to be a miserable day here. It's been coming down in buckets, so there'll be no outside work accomplished today. After we hit the grocery store this morning, we stopped at the Amish market and Jake bought several large pumpkin, watermelon, cantalope, zucchini and cucumber plants that had been marked down. He has an area out back that will be perfect for them, but he'll have to wait until this weather clears before he can get them in.

Twynn, I'm so excited for you and glad that's it's all over, finally! I hope your MIL is doing well, too.

Cyndi, mmmmmm, fresh strawberries! Aren't they especially good this year? And they are so low in calories that you can pig out on them. Our strawberry season is just about over for this year, but I'm looking forward to blueberry season soon.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

Cottage, our strawberry season is just starting so it's not over for you! I may add freezing strawberries to your To Do list along with baking and helping me sort the schoolwork for judging and training the dogs and painting the barn and......

The lads came and did the tree job this morning. I've been in and out of the house most of the day but am baking the pie shells right now and starting the fillings. We won't be able to do the taste-testing tomorrow morning as they won't have been frozen long enough but it'll happen Monday or Tuesday. Claire tested two pies with a crumb crust and they were horrible. Back to the drawing board on that recipe!

It's spitting rain just a wee bit so still no garden stuff. Woe is me! They did deliver the wood for my raised bed though. Maestro the Bassett Hound showed up at my door again at lunch time and had to be driven back home. He lives about 1½ miles away and seems to pop in here every time he visits the village! He certainly likes me - or maybe it's Disney's fatal charm.

Enjoy your afternoon.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #14  

Hello everyone!

Just popping in to say "Howdy"!! =D
Old 06-21-2009, 05:49 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

It's the longest day of the year and officially summer. I'm sitting here with a velour jacket over my robe as the house is chilly. Would somebody please tell the weatherman that it's summer. We are expecting 90ºF on Thursday so I guess I should finish digging out my summer clothes.

Church this morning followed by a meeting with Claire where we consolidate our notes for this big dinner on July 5th. Remind me never to do dinner for 300 again, OK? Judging of the schoolwork entries is July 9th and they have to be picked up and sorted this week as school closed Tuesday. As they say in Delta, I may be "seldom" in here as it looks like two weeks of overdrive. The good thing is that Cottage will be here for part of the time and we'll have fun too!

On this day in 1985 I gave my Dad a great Father's Day gift when Harry and I bought this house back into the family. I can still see the look on his face and the tears in his eyes. I still miss him but it's nice to feel him still here.

Have a great Sunday and hug your Dad if he's still with you. If not, cherish some sweet memories.
Closed Thread