Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173.5/169/132

Height: 5'7"

Default How do I motivate myself to get back in the game?

I was so motivated for the first week! And then I got into some junk food and played the tomorrow game. And then yesterday had the flu so I'm pretty 'cleaned out'. So I must get on a good eating plan and get back on the wagon! I need to lose about 40 pounds and I tend to hover around this weight. For health reasons and vanity reasons I need to lose this weight! How do I motivate myself to stay on path? There's a lot of stress that is going on and my way of dealing with it is food! I know I need to change that way of thinking! How? BTW I'm new here again (joined a few years ago but rejoined on the 9th) and I know that this support group works for me! It's exciting to see others achieve their goals and pumps me up!
Ms Legit
MsLegit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

When you get really, really sick and tired of being around 170 lbs, you will stop thinking in terms of what you'll do tomorrow and start thinking in terms of what you can do for yourself today. It takes more than motivation; it takes commitment, which means that even when you are presented with junk food, you still choose to eat well. You make the choice to lose weight and become healthy, and you make it each and every day. So how tired are you of being around 170 lbs? Enough to choose to change it?
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173.5/169/132

Height: 5'7"

Default You are right!

I AM sick of this weight! Today I tried to just think about putting good food in my body! My boys wanted to eat at a fast food place so I CHOSE to eat a pita with chicken/lettuce/cheese only and no fries or sauces! So it's going to take me making good decisions all summer long to get this weight off! Right now my small goal is to get into the 150's! Wish me luck!
MsLegit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

You can do it! Just focus on one day at a time and make those good decisions. There's no tomorrow, only today, so make the most out of each day!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #5  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingCharge View Post
You can do it! Just focus on one day at a time and make those good decisions. There's no tomorrow, only today, so make the most out of each day!

This is a very good point--there IS no tomorrow, all we have is today! Do your best to make every decision about food a thoughtful one. Regardless of whether or not you made an unwise choice an hour ago, make THIS choise a good one. That's the only way I have found to start to win this game, is to try to make every decision thoughtfully. It makes no logical sense to say, "Oh, I ate a <bad thing> today, so I might as well stuff down an additional bunch of bad stuff!" Nope, it doesn't make sense. So just keep making each decision count, and then all the sudden you're on your way.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I want you to try to have as many progress indicators as possible. Scale weight alone is seldom encouraging enough ... since it can move so slowly.

Take your measurements. Do you have some articles of clothing that are just a might too snug? Grab a pair of dumbells and see how many hammer curls you can do. How long can you jog?

Write it all down. During that second week, when your oomph is fading, one of these will show encouraging improvement. It will!

I read here at 3FC in the morning. It sets me more into a healthy state of mind for the day. I'm also going to suggest that you join a daily thread. And come back to it and post everyday. Soon enough, you'll feel obliged to have something positive to report
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLegit View Post
I AM sick of this weight! Today I tried to just think about putting good food in my body! My boys wanted to eat at a fast food place so I CHOSE to eat a pita with chicken/lettuce/cheese only and no fries or sauces! So it's going to take me making good decisions all summer long to get this weight off! Right now my small goal is to get into the 150's! Wish me luck!
Making better choices is a great first step, though at your not very high starting weight, it *may* take more then that. You *may* want to track your calories so you can get a more accurate picture of what's really going on. I know for me eating only healthy and just watching myself never, ever worked. Never. I needed to keep a close check on those calories. You'd be surprised how those babies add up! It's incredibly easy to take in more calories then is needed within a blink of an eye. Perhaps you'd like to check out one of the many on-line calorie counters and keep a closer tally on what you're truly consuming. thdailyplate.com & fitday.com are just 2 of many sites.

And I won't wish you luck. Because luck isn't going to take the weight off - it's work. Don't mean to be so blunt, but it DOES take work to create that calorie deficit. VERY, very, VERY rewarding work, mind you, but work, nevertheless. As well as a conscious effort, good planning, discipline and determination.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote