Old 06-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #1  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Going on Vacation for a week soon need Ideas?

I am having a hard time getting back to calorie counting. I put back on around 7 Lbs. I have been doing a little bit of exercising such as started slim in 6 and bike riding. We are going on vacation camping in a few weeks and I think I'm afraid I will gain even more back. This will be my first week long vacation while I'm trying to lose weight. Need some ideas to how to do this?
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Camping as in a tent, no electric, etc. or camping like I do in a camper?
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I just got back from getting married in Vegas. This helped me and my DH not gain "as much" weight. We did gain some, but not a lot. We did slim fast for at least one meal a day. This saved money and calories. We like the cappacuino kind. I know it has a lot of sugar but it is better than what you would normally eat (and cheaper). It has a lot of protein in the Optima ones.....
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I went away for 5 days last month and had anxiety, too. (Mine was of the road trip -- hotel stay -- visit relatives variety).

I lost several pounds that week; in fact, I am finding that I do better than usual when away, perhaps because of extra vigilance! It is very empowering to stick to it when out of your element.

I packed a cooler with my yogurts and things. I also packed dry goods like my luna bars, oranges. I measured out and brought along baggies of edamame, almonds, etc. Except for two dinners out (where I ate pizza and soup, respectively) I chose sandwich options from subway and panera. I still drank my glass of wine to socialize with (I drink wine at home, too). Brought my diet notebook with which to record my calories. I stressed beforehand but after, I felt very successful about the whole thing -- you can, too. You will be glad later.

If you're camping, you are bringing your own foods, right?
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #5  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

I just came back from a weekend camping trip (and planning for the next one), and I can totally relate to the stressful feeling! But planning will help A LOT! I made sure there were breakfast options I could live with, and lunches were easy sandwiches. I made chili for the first night's meal (so we didn't have to cook while we were still setting up camp), and it was healthy as well as tasty. Easy to transport in Ziploc bags in the cooler, too.

Most camping dinners, I've found, are based around protein and starch. Light hot dogs and baked beans fits right into my program. Spaghetti doesn't as much, but I can still have a small amount of pasta, and an extra portion of sauce. And if I've made the sauce ahead of time, rather than using a bottled sauce, I know it's got extra veg in it. Hobo dinners are always easy and tasty, too... aluminum foil packets of veg and meat, wrapped up really tight and cooked in the coals for 15 minutes. Can be made easily, and can be customized for almost any taste and plan.

THen, I made sure we had "supplementals" for me, to fill out the regular menu. Cut carrot and celery sticks in the cooler, with hummus. Fruit (apples worked well. Bananas didn't last very well outdoors). Snacks can be things like jerky, yogurt, hard-cooked eggs, nuts, cheese sticks, and protein bars (very helpful when hiking!).

I also planned for two s'mores (150 calories apiece) each day, because it's just not camping without them. And I was surprised to find that I was completely satisfied with only two, when last summer I would have eaten a LOT more.

The other fun thing about camping is that food is only a small part of it. You're going to be doing outdoorsy things... hiking, swimming, boating, walking... and getting extra exercise. So that should fit into your plan well, too.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #6  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Thank You for all the helpful ideas.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote