Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 12:59 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Wink BFL/BB #74 - week of 28 Oct 2002

Hey there everyone! How's it going???

I'm just taking a few minutes in a very busy schedule to check in. This weekend was VERY busy (even though I didn't get to ride...wahhh!). We had a great time at the Grand National Rodeo, but next year we're going to go to the afternoon performance rather than the evening one. By the time the rodeo was over we were both WIPED OUT as it was 10:40 pm, so we didn't stick around for the Lonestar concert. Dee Dee's group didn't do as well as last year - there was a MAJOR Arabian breeder there with their show string, including the stallion "Consensus" who was the United States National Reserve Champion stallion a couple of years back and he is a BEAUTY. He was in the Native Costume Championship class and of course won! Norman (the horse I'm hoping to lease) took the Gelding Halter championship in the morning (unfortunately I missed that class). Jim had his Friday night gig and didn't get to sleep until 3 am, and of course Sergent Sparky decided at 6 am that we had SLEPT LONG ENOUGH and started "thumping" and meeeooowwing through the house!

Working my way back...

JC - I actually leave for London next Sunday evening. It's an 11 hour flight from SFO to Heathrow, so I'll be wiped out for sure! I have to call my doctor to get some Ambein (sp) so I can snooze through the flight. I envy you being able to do another 8 weeks with Pam - now that I have another car payment, I have to take it easy with the expenditures for awhile. After I return from London, I plan to re-use the menus for four weeks...

Lakota - Welcome to the main thread! Yep, this be the one - every week I start a new thread (dunno about next week though - I'm not sure I'll be able to get through the Internet in the UK). Camp Pam B is Pam Brown's customized menu/training program - you can find out more about it at her website. I'd recommend doing at least one cycle of BFL first though. Generally, Pam's program is more restrictive than BFL - it really depends on what results you're looking for.

Speaking for myself, I do use protein powder and Myoplex Lites but mostly I eat real food - probably 80% of the time it's real food. By Myoplex Low Carb - I believe you're referring to the Ready to Drink (RTD) shakes - I'd DEFINITELY stay away from them. Not only are they WAY more pricey, but the protein isn't all that great. Here's a portion of an article I posted in the Fitness Scams forum: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=21131

Quote:
The following interview was conducted with someone I met a long time ago while working with EAS. This particular individual — who doesn't want his name revealed — works for one of the major manufacturers of bulk protein. In other words, his company makes protein powders for supplement companies who, in turn, sell them to you.

However, unlike the cigarette industry's insider, our insider isn't spilling the beans on any corruption inside his company or the protein manufacturing business in general. Instead, he's spilling the beans on the companies that buy his products.

T: What's the deal with the ready-to-drink protein drinks? High quality or low? Are they any better than Slimfast?

PI: They're slightly better than Slimfast.

T: Why are they bad?

PI: You have to literally cook them. The FDA requires that you pasteurize ready-to-drink products, and you end up just destroying these glycomacropeptides — they're gone. What you end up drinking is just a basic, bare minimum protein supplement, a very expensive one at that.

Because these products use so much water, and consequently weigh a lot, the shipping costs end up being considerable. That's primarily why they cost so much. You're paying dearly to have someone shake your shake for you. And, unfortunately, the technology that exists today has not improved since they first started doing RTDs [ready to drinks] and so you get a basic protein supplement, nothing exotic, nothing interesting, and usually rotten tasting.
Ledom - that was Susan in her motorcycle leathers. I actually own a Harley-Davidson leather jacket but I am most definitely NOT a motorcycle mama! In fact I wore that jacket to the horse show this weekend, Norman was busy chewing and licking it, but those jackets are made of IRON. Not a mark left on it

I hear ya about not obssessing about the scale, weight, size. You know, there's ALWAYS going to be someone who 'looks better' or 'looks worse' than you do...I can very easily obssess on these things myself, and have spent so much time in the past doing just that. Be patient and you WILL see big changes - they tend to sneak up on you overnight (actually other people will likely notice them before you do!).

Gotta run - time to get my books together!!!
Old 10-28-2002, 04:13 PM   #2  

>>>Camp Pam B is Pam Brown's customized menu/training program - you can find out more about it at her website.<<<

MrsJim,

Hi, I'm starting my first BFL 12 weeks today! Was curious about your above statement...what is the url for Pam's website? Couldn't find it on Google.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2002, 04:18 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Welcome Peony...

I just PM'd you with the info as it is against 3FC forum rules to post the link to Pam's site (the name of her company is "Customized Physiques" BTW).

If you don't receive the message, you can get the link at the Lean & Strong board - www.leanandstrong.com

Gotta dash - tons of work!!
Old 10-28-2002, 04:30 PM   #4  
Mel

Default Monday

hi there all!

I've decided to take a gym break this week; I just can't make it to Thansgiving. The old bod is just not recovering from workouts and I feel I'm backsliding. Since it's been about 17 weeks without any kind of break, and my last break was a week long bike trip, I dont feel TOO bad about this. But there's still a niggling voice in the back of my head whispering "wimp....quitter...." But I know I need it and I'll be back!

Peony88888 (can we just say Peony?): Camp PB should really be done after you are very comfortable with BFL- at least 1 challenge, if not 2. Here is the link to here website: OOPS! According to forum rules, I need to delete it- sorry. But Karen sent it to you.
I just finished 8 weeks of it after doing 3 challenges, and she helped me off a long plateau. But I've years of weightlifting experience. Anyway, welcome aboard! Glad you chose this way of life. It really is wonderful, something great that you are doing for your body.

To anyone who doesn't frequent L&S (www.leanandstrong.com), I just posted C3 pics in the transformation gallery. I think I actually looked leaner at the end of C2, but lots less muscle!

So- I'm outta the gym this week, but eating clean. Hope I don't lose it all (except maybe some fat poundage )

See ya later,
mel

Last edited by meliris; 10-28-2002 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:48 PM   #5  

Thank you for the infor Mrs. Jim.. you saved me alot of money..I have been holding off going to gnc because of my gold card being good the first 7 days of the month...Do you take betalean or any other fat burners? or did you when you where losing all the inches and weight???
Old 10-28-2002, 06:11 PM   #6  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Hey-

Welcome Lakota and Peony.

Mel - I was just at L&S, you have mucho good feedback over there. I'll check out your pics tomorrow when I am at work. Sounds like you are making the right decision for yourself on working out. Enjoy the week and don't worry about it!!!!

Yesterday I got to take my kayak out for cardio. It does my soul good and when I don't get out for a while I really miss it. Only problem, as I was loading it on top of the car I dropped it on my leg (big bruise) and wrenched my back. I didn't even realize the back problem until this morning. I'll survive and was able to do my workout, there is just this little catch that is really annoying. But anyway - I paddled about 8 miles in choppy conditions and was out 4 hours. It was great as fall foliage is just starting to peak here.

Karen, how long will you be out of town? We'll miss you.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:25 PM   #7  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Mel! Breaks are always good - I feel so much better mentally after my break last week.

Karen: are you going to be online whilst in the UK?

Lakota: MrsJim doesnt' take fatburners but I do believe she used to take Phen Free now and then in the past to give her a pep up in the morning. I don't know if she would recommend it though. I would definately recommend AGAINST it. You can give it a go but I find it easier to keep weight off if it has been lost naturally without any aids.

After 2 days back on CPB I have lost the bloating feeling I got after a week off from eating clean thank goodness. The workouts she has given me are a killer and only 2 days in and I am already exhausted. So glad that I have planned some days off over the next few weeks. I did a complete list and rated all of her meals on what I liked etc and this week she has given me the best food! I am loving it.

Peony: I would go with what Mel said and wouldn't attempt CPB until after at least 1 or 2 BFL challenges. It ain't a walk in the park and you learn so much on BFL. BFL is like high school and CPB like College. You need one before having a go at the other.

AND WHERE IS EVERYONE ELSE?????

JC
Old 10-28-2002, 08:33 PM   #8  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi all
I do not have Body for Life as of yet, however, I do have it reserved through my library. I checked Col's Bookstore here and they want 41.95 plus 7% tax for it. So I thought I would check it out first. When you refer to a challenge do you mean one complete 12 week session? I am very new to this but very interested. I have been going to the gym now for just over a month and have definitely seen some results, but this really interests me. On July 29th 2002, I decided to change my life for good. No more diets, no more starving, I was 270 lbs and wanted that to be my last day ever at that weight. I am currently 246, have changed my eating habits, I exercise everyday in some form. I go three days at gym, one day walking and back to the gym. But I have been reading up from this site a bit and see that maybe 5 days at the gym is too much. I do however, do 20 minutes cardio before every workout.
Hope everyone has a good week!
Virginia
Old 10-28-2002, 09:15 PM   #9  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey Virginia,

DEFINATELY get the book and check it out. Bill has a way with words and makes the program very easy to understand. Yes when we talk about a challenge we are refering to 12 weeks unless otherwise specified. Sometimes we do sprints or mini-challenges of 4, 6 or 8 weeks. But if we are talking about that we would usually specify the length.

I am not sure where you read that 5 days a week at the gym is too much. Do you mean doing weight-lifting or just going to the gym in general (for cardio or classes etc)?

By the way - WELCOME!!

JC
Old 10-28-2002, 10:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/140

Height: Height: 5'4"

Hey Wantolosealot,

Do you have a Great Canadian Superstore in your area? I bought the book 5 weeks ago ($40 CDN) and just discovered it last week on sale at GCSS for ($19 CDN)!!!!

I guess I should do a slight introduction. I, well we (dh and I), started our first challange 5 weeks ago. And already we have noticed lotsa small changes, hurray!! Measurements down and bf% down, but no scale weight down at all!!!! For DH, this is probably to be expected, but for me is is kinda worriesome. I will need to lose scale weight too at some point. I just wonder when it will start coming off? Like, there is no way I wanna weight 177 pounds at 5'4" can you spell gorilla!!!!

Weight loss history: I was on WW about a year ago and lost 20 pounds and then noticed that I was starting to get loose skin hanging off my thighs. I really let this developement subvert my resolve. I wanted to lose weight so I would feel comfortable going swimming with my kids and stuff and I won't feel happy with oodles of loose skin hanging off my thighs so why bother?
Well a year or so later dh and I tried WW again and again I lost 15 pounds or so and again the loose skin issue reared its' ugly head. Well I was browsing on 3FC and came across the loose skin thread here or was it in diets general? anyhow that lead to L&S and BFL. So, consequently, we switched from WW to BFL and have never looked back. I really enjoy the lifting and -hate- the cardio. DH likes both.

We have really done well with the food, although sometimes the timing of meals gives us difficulty. Like letting more that 3 hours go by before eating again. I expect better planning will solve this difficulty.

Anyhow, thanks for reading. Patt.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:10 PM   #11  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey Patt,

Nice to meet you. You may discover that we aren't too keen on scale weight around here because everyone's lean weight (what you weigh minus the fat) is different. So I weigh 161 lbs at the moment but I am only a size or 2 away from being totally gorgeous! My ideal weight is actually around the 146 lb mark at 12% bodyfat, which is quite lean. So you may not have that far to go in terms of scale weight but you may have a ways in terms of body fat. Have you had it tested at all??

Some people here (including MrsJim) don't even weigh themselves anymore. We tend to focus on size of clothes and our fitness levels etc. Welcome to the team!!!

JC
Old 10-29-2002, 12:23 AM   #12  

JEC - thanks for the welcome. Yes I do know that you guys don't go for the scale weight thing. I'm not that worried about it too much, but I am aware that I do need to have some come off. I have some calipers and have measured BF% (dh did it) according to my latest measuring session I have:

123 Lean
54 Fat
177 Total

all for a bf of 30.7 (gasp!!!!)

My data from when we got the calipers (oct 10):

118 Lean
57 Fat
175 Total

all for a bf of 32.65 (also gasp!!!!)

[I don't know what it was originally probably %40 (also also gasp !!!!)]

so as you can see I am getting pretty cool results, but there still will need to be some scale weight loss. Figuring a 22% bf as a goal for my first challange and assuming I gain ~5 more lean pounds:

128 Lean
36 Fat
164 Total The nasty scale weight has gotta go!!!!!!

Patt.

Over all I am really happy with the programme.

PS was in Sydney and Perth about 10 years ago. I really love your country and am always trying to get dh to get another business trip worked out for us!!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 10:23 AM   #13  

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone!

Thoughts on Day 1 of my first 12 Week Challenge:

1) I feel like a wimp. I'm using 3,5,8 and 10 pound dumbbells. Is this normal?

2) I seem to have an unlimited capacity to eat lf cottage cheese with chives. That's all I'm craving!

3) Given my background of cardio, cardio and more cardio, I'm wondering about how effective those 20 MAS are...but I'm going to follow the program exactly for 12 weeks.

I'm not going to go by the scale. The last time my trainer did my measurements, I was 172 pounds and 22% body fat. I'm about a size 12, pushing a 14. I feel the best when I'm a size 6-8, so I'm going to go by size, as I'm pretty muscular to begin with.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Peony
Old 10-29-2002, 10:26 AM   #14  
Mel

Default Hi Pat

Patience, patience, patience! A virtue I preach but have none of!
Welcome to our little corner. It sounds like you are having fantastic results. You're a real muscle builder! Most of us don't see much fat loss til weeks 10-12, and then during rest week too, as long as you don't take a pig-out week!

As for the skin issue, if you read that thread, I'm sure you know it takes time also. I've lost about 50 lbs of fat (not all with bfl- started on sugarbusters) and was overweight for many years. The weight originally went on precipitously- during a 60 lb pregnancy 20 years ago, and never all came off. So my skin stretched and the under-layers tore. But it IS shrinking! I'm learning to look at the loose skin as a good thing- the fat is moving out and I have seen skin progress! So I know that with time, hydration, moisturizing, eating clean and lots of vitamin C and the right healthy fats, it will come back. I don't expect it to look like I'm 20 again, but it's looking better all the time!

Good luck, stay with us and the program and I'm sure you'll see the results you're looking for.

mel
Old 10-29-2002, 11:22 AM   #15  

Hey Mel,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I know I have to be patient and disregard the scale beast, after all, everything else is going in the correct direction. You brought up a couple things: rest week as pig out week and skin.

I am currently trying to decide if we (dh and I) should do our first challange for 13 weeks or if we should take a 2 week rest or some sort of combo thing. Technically we end Dec 15, and if we take a week then we would be starting up a new challange over Christmas week, and although we could do that I would rather not. So I'm thinking of doing the first challange for 13 weeks or 12 weeks for lifting and 13 for eating clean. I dunno any ideas?

Thanks for the encouraging skin story. I assume you mean by "under layers tore" stretch marks? I gained my weight via nasty big pregnancies too. This first (11 years ago) I was able to loose most of, but the second (8 year ago) was more difficult. I don't remember exactly what I gained, but the baby alone was 9lbs7oz. I do understand that my skin will shrink back eventually I just hope I will be happy with shorts or {shudder} a bathing suit on. - can't quite get there mentally yet. Do you really think moisturizing really makes a difference?

Patt
Closed Thread