Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Do any of you count calories?

Just curious, I'm trying at 1350 a day, but not seeing a lot of loss. But I do go over on the weekends. I really need help with discipline! My husband, who is also trying to eat healthy, is always suggesting we go out for dinner, or grab a drink. I give in, and I'm pretty frustrated about it.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yes, I definitely count calories. Eating healthy never worked for me. I like healthy foods too much and need to track & monitor them, otherwise I'd wind up taking in more calories then is needed.

Quote:
I'm trying at 1350 a day, but not seeing a lot of loss. But I do go over on the weekends.
Well there you have it. Being "off" even one day a week can wipe out any deficit created during the other 6 days of the week. Yet alone two. You can't have it both ways. Going over on the weekend AND expecting a loss. It simply can't occur.

I plan out the weekends just like any day of the week. I may re-adjust my calories a tad, but they are planned out - and stuck to - just like any other day.

As far as discipline, you've got to decide which you want more - the off plan food - or the weight loss. Once you make the decision that you want the weight loss - and then the ensuing commitment - staying on plan should be a heckuva lot easier. With that commitment, comes the discipline.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm learning a lot about this whole process. This is my first formal effort at weight loss and there is so much I need to figure out about my body!

I exercise 6 days a week (pilates, interval training and yoga), sometimes twice a day. I thought that even if I went over 1350 2 days, I could still pull it off. I don't go insane, but eat closer to 2000 than to 1350

So, I need to learn from my mistakes. I do really well during the week, especially for breakfast, lunch and snacks, because I plan it out that morning. It's when it comes to dinner it gets tricky for me. I need to do a better job of planning out all of my meals in advance, and also balancing what I eat. That means more veggies!
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I count calories and agree with rockinrobin. If you want to lose get a plan and stick to it. IMHO you will not lose on 2000 calories a day,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by festivus View Post

So, I need to learn from my mistakes. I need to do a better job of planning out all of my meals in advance, and also balancing what I eat. That means more veggies!
Exactly on all three counts. Learning from ones so-called "mistakes" or experiments as I like to call them, planning out all meals IN ADVANCE. And last but not least - more veggies.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-03-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #6  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

festivus...I feel your pain! My live-in boyfriend does that exact same thing.

Don't stick to a specific calorie amount per day...do a weekly average. I was just talking about this on another thread (but I can't remember which one).

Example for a 1500 calorie daily average:
S - 1420
M - 1520
T - 1400
W - 1475
Th - 1555
F - 1420
S - 1800

You should have 1 day (the whole day) as a "cheat day" where you eat what you crave...that way during the rest of the week you don't over do it with other foods (or binge) due to those cravings.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

The most important thing is to pick a plan that you will follow. I find calorie counting works best for me. I plan all meals ahead of time and stick to it altho if necessary I may make alteration to it as long as I stay within my calorie allottment. What Samanta describes would not work for me a cheat day in my case would lead to a binge. Again do what works best for you, it's OK to experiment until you find the right fit.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaJubilee View Post

You should have 1 day (the whole day) as a "cheat day" where you eat what you crave...that way during the rest of the week you don't over do it with other foods (or binge) due to those cravings.
I respectfully disagree with this wholeheartedly. Should have a cheat day? Should? Too many "cheat days" is what got me in this situation in the first place.

We've got to learn new habits. There's nothing wrong with telling yourself no every now and then. Just because you WANT something, doesn't mean you have to have it. By giving into that particular want - food - you're giving up what you REALLY want - to be slim and healthy. Gotta look at the longterm picture, not the short term.

Most likely this is exactly why the OP is not seeing a loss - "cheat days".
Old 06-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaJubilee View Post

Wow - I can't even imagine a whole day where I ate whatever I craved, I could do so much damage.

I counted calories very carefully when I was losing, after 4 years of maintenance I still do a daily estimate to ensure I am on track.

When I was losing - I didn't do cheats/treats (except for my birthday and Christmas). Now that I'm maintaning I have a treat MEAL a week, but definitely not a whole day.

I know this sounds kind of weird, but not eating my "crave" foods really worked to eliminate the cravings. I always thought if I denied myself cookies, I'd want more and more cookies. In fact, I know don't crave cookies at all. They aren't even a blip on my food radar anymore.

You gotta figure out what's right for you - I definitely don't think there's any ONE right answer, so many people are successful on so many different plans. Keep tweaking your plan until it's working for you!

Last edited by Glory87; 06-03-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I count calories and we eat out at least 3 - 4 times a week. You can do it even if you eat out. I check out the menu online before I leave the house and know what I'm going to order before we get there. If I know in advance that we're going out on Saturday I'll eat a lighter breakfast, lunch, etc. so that I can have something a little more at dinner if I want. I also make sure that I work out more on the days we eat out.

I have also figured out lots of lighter ways of cooking so that we still eat the same things as before only they're much lighter and healthier now.

Good luck.
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #11  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

I do count calories to merely keep myself 'incheck', however I only eat healthy foods, and not process stuff, so usually fall right were I need to be.
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Rockin' Robin and Glory are both SPOT ON in my humble opinion. I don't even want a cheat day. I wouldn't do it even if I did. I would only be cheating myself if I did.

I have a different relationship with food. I satisfy the urge by deciding what it is I am really after. Am I craving acceptance in a relationship, attention from my husband, new clothes, a spa day or whatever? I have found it isn't usually food I am after when I allow myself the time to think about it before shoving food in as the remedy. I may even just be thirsty. If it really is the food my goal is to handle it logically and figure out how to work it into my life within reason.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #13  
On my way to a size 10!

I understand that a few of you might disagree with me on what I posted about a cheat day. I have done a LOT of reseach on this and I still stand by what I said.

Never once did I say to go binge on food. A cheat day is designed for you to eat what you like...just in moderation.

I love pancakes & sausage for breakfast. On my cheat day...I can have my 2 pancakes with my turkey sausage. I love fried chicken, so on my cheat day I can have my version of "fried" chicken & mashed potatoes w/ gravy. For dinner I could have a bigger version of BL Hamburger (made with ground turkey) and maybe some homemade fries (baked).

So...it isn't that you get to binge and shove all kinds of horrible food in your mouth. It is a day to enjoy the foods you love, but can't eat on a daily basis...in moderation.

The main point is to satisfy your cravings but stay within your limitations.

That kind of the whole point of keeping an average (per week) of the calorie coal you want to consume.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #14  
On my way to a size 10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
The most important thing is to pick a plan that you will follow. What Samanta describes would not work for me a cheat day in my case would lead to a binge. Again do what works best for you, it's OK to experiment until you find the right fit.
You are right. My problem is that I wouldn't allow myself to have a "cheat day" and I would get fed up after a few months and binge...then just give up.

Having the cheat day will work for me. It may not work for others.
I get these horrible cravings for certain foods and I will find myself eating until I'm sick because I am refusing myself that one thing. (Even eating A LOT of the good stuff can be bad for you!)
Old 06-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think everybody has different ideas of what "cheat" means, but I think we can stipulate here that no one's talking about binging I *do* find it useful to keep certain foods to one day or even just to the weekend - foods that I don't feel *bad* about, but which do need to be moderated.

I then find it pretty easy during the week to stick close to 100% to everyday foods. It's just what I do during the week. It's habit. If I have some really tasty dessert or once-in-a-while type of dinner food on the weekend, it doesn't mess me up during the week. It seems to be just infrequent enough for me not to cause problems. I'm sure that's different for everyone.

I couldn't do that for every meal all weekend. That *would* mess me up, both calorie- and craving-wise. But I don't need to limit myself to one meal either.

But everyone's different.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote