Old 06-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #1  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Do you ever wish...

Do you ever wish that you could be one of those people who actually LOSES weight when they are stressed out or unhappy or sick or depressed?

If I'm stressed out or depressed, I want to eat. If I'm unhappy I want to eat. If I'm sick I almost always want to eat. Like during exams or before my defense I ate like crazy. Yet people in my lab LOST weight while getting ready to defend. Not me! Stress doesn't make me LESS hungry, it makes me MORE hungry. I got mono in college, as did a bunch of my roommates. All my friends lost about 10 pounds. I gained 10. My friends get unhappy and depressed and mope around in front of the TV. I mope around in the kitchen (in front of the kitchen TV...).

Why can't my stress cause me to lose weight at least! I've got enough of it to go around, it seems unfair that I can't get anything good out if it!

And I'm not even getting into the people who can "forget" to eat. As Kathy Griffin once said, "It takes a special kind of stupid to forget to eat."

Disclaimer: this is all in jest -- of course I don't wish wasting illnesses on anyone, much less myself! And it's not healthy to lose weight because you are too stressed out to eat blah blah blah. Just wanted to put this because I've not been here long enough to know exactly how "tongue in cheek" everyone is about stuff!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #2  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

I totally understand your frustration. My best mate lost 20 pounds after her ex left her. Stress for me is one of those blasted trigger times. When I'm stressed I eat- it's a comfort thing; makes me feel better.

And yes, I wish I could lose weight when I stress. If I did, I'd be a helluva lot lighter. But on the brighter side- some people gain it back.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #3  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

Yes!!! I really do wish I was one of those people!
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #4  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Gurl, I feel ya on this one! I am the exact same way.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, I have often wished that. But I'm pretty sure that if I was that person, I'd wish I wasn't. Especially now that food for me is about nutrition and health, rather than something to fight against. The grass is always greener.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #6  

I'm both. For general life stress, I eat. At the times of super-intense life stress, I lose my appetite. I'd rather be wanting to eat because I'm mildly stressed than losing weight via stress because stress big enough to cause me to lose isn't the kind I want in my life in as much as it can be avoided.

My son is an eat-to-live person and often forgets to eat. The hubs and I are still trying to figure out how in the world we could have produced this kid! We're all happy to be eating around here except my skinny, scrawny boy.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

Forget to eat??? That is just plain crazy talk.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

When I go through periods of anxiety or depression and I don't eat, I always wish that I could be rid of those things - and I would take 30 pounds gladly if it meant I'd be happy and not anxious.

But now I'm working on getting those taken care of, so that my weight loss can be on purpose and permanent, not dependent on my mood!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 385/339/140

Height: 5ft 7

I don't eat when I am stressed but yet I don't lose weight either...now that I am here and am loosing the weight I walk when I feel stressed and it really helps.
TracyB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #10  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

My brother got that gene. I did not. His nickname is "Bones". Ugh.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #11  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

I think if we were those that do that - we wouldn't be here

I, too, eat to "feel better" when I am under stress. Yeah - forget to eat - not happening.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #12  

Yep.All my friend who get divorces lose massive amounts of weight.Told me husband the other day to leave me........for 3-6 months.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 223/213/199

Height: 5'6"

When it came to major break-ups...I had no problem losing about 40lbs in 6 months.
Now that I'm married...when I get stressed or upset...I eat.
Not long ago my DH joked about "breaking up" for 6 months...he hasn't mentioned it again...

I really wish I had a fast metabolism!
Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #14  

Height: 5'4"

This just happened to my best friend. She lost over 10 lbs. and didn’t know why. Then she was blaming it on stress. One day she called me crying because she didn’t want to lose any more weight. So UNFAIR!!! All I do is eat, eat and eat when I am stressed, it make me feel better and BTW she is one of the people who can forget to eat!!!
I can forget to breath before forgetting to eat

Last edited by belezura; 08-17-2009 at 11:33 AM.
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

This is what I think identifies 'naturally thin' people from the 'naturally fat'.

I've only every once in my life worried about not eating and this was after I returned to full-time work when I'd had my DS. Looking back I think the doctor was bemused by an obviously overweight late 20 something worrying about not feeling like eating and probably thought losing a few pounds would be helpful to me. Again in hindsight its obvious to me the I had post-natal depression but my doctor totally missed the symptoms even though I stressed to him just how out of sorts I must be for me not to eat. I can't describe just how distressing it was for me to not feel like eating anything and getting no joy out of what I was eating.

Like someone else said I'd have rather been 30lbs heavier than go back to the stress in my life at this time.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote