Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #1  
Sexy Writer Chick

S/C/G: 235/235/125

Height: 5'3"

Default Slap across the face - Realization sinks in!!

I feel like I have been slapped across the face, had cold water dumped on my head and Cher yelling "snap out of it" - then I awake from my dream state.

****I AM OBESE!!***

I don't feel overly fat - then I look in the mirror.

My butt isn't that big - then I have bruises from the chair.

I can't be the biggest person in the room - then I "size each woman" and I am.

I am sure I can still fit that size 18 - then there is a gap 5 inches wide before the buttons can close

That XL will surely fit, it looks big enough - then it is like a bodysuit.

I will start my diet tomorrow - then I never follow through.

I think that the reason I have avoided getting my picture taken for the past 15 years is not that I am not photogenic nor that I look too fat,.......

.....I would have to face reality, after all pictures don't lie. I am fat, I am obese, I do have a problem, I am unhealthy, I am weak.

I stood naked in front of the mirror tonight and I cried. When did I allow this to happen??? How did I ever let myself creep past the 200lb mark?

I know that I am ready, I think I just had to figure it out for myself.

Here is to being ready to start the journey

Will I need help - Absolutely!

Now that I have figured IT out - I have to figure out WHAT to do.
ladyfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

You certainly seem to be in the right frame of mind. I saw a post here recently that was closed b/c well, no one has an answer as to when each of us will reach that "breaking point". I think we have all pondered that question. It seems to happen at different weights for all of us (mine was 193). I truly did not see it coming. I knew I was overweight, but I guess I just didn't realize how much until this family friend saw my husband and I at my parents house and he said "wow, you still have a lot of baby weight to lose". His wife slapped him, lol. But he honestly had never seen me past probably 135. And if the truth be told, my "baby" was at least 6 months old at the time and I actually started gaining after he was born.

Anyway, I wish you ALL the luck in the world. And I LOVE your signature. That is definitely true for me. While my husband and our 3 kids ate fried catfish tonight, I had my sub sandwich with the low-cal chips and a pickle. And of course, my staple, 100 calorie dessert. He kept saying "bless your heart" and I was like, NO, bless yours, literally, in about 10 more years, lol. For some reason he thinks I am "depriving" myself. I will work on them once I fix myself, though.

This site can provide you with a lot of information to use to your advantage.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #3  
Baby Stepping Along

Congratulations! Those ah-ha moments are brutal and empowering all at once. Very mixed emotions so good job getting things in motion.

I wanted to suggest what I have had a lot of success with when starting out (or starting over). I got started on my weight loss with a 5 point per day plan that I'll share with you here and maybe you could give it a try. Give yourself one point per day if:
1. Accountability: record your food somewhere...food journal, on one of the boards, where ever it will hold you accountable to write it down. Don't worry for now what the food is so much as getting it written down, good bad and otherwise.
2. Exercise: Any exercise...walk around the block, march in place during commercials, anything. You are trying to establish the thought process that you need to get it in at some point. Again, don't worry about how much, etc., just do something.
3. Water: Increase your water consumption. If you aren't drinking any, add a glass before each meal. If you are drinking it already, cool, easy point.
4. Me time: Take 15 min to do something just for you. Read, journal, whatever is a 'treat' for you.
5. Good/Better/Best Choice: Make one good/better/best choice per day. Skip a treat, count out the chips instead of eating from the bag, leave a bite or 2 behind. Only need one per day.

You can set a reward for days in a row with 5 points or I use a weekly total of 30+ points a week for a reward threshold. Find a meaningful non-food reward and give it to yourself when you get the job done. You'll likely get to a point where one or more of these is too easy and then you can start raising the bar for yourself gradually. Make the exercise goal a certain number of minutes...got the water? Change it out to fruit/veggie servings.

The day I heard about this idea was the day I started losing weight and changing my life. One 5 point day at a time.

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Yep. This is when it starts.
When you have faced yourself and admitted the truth, that is when you can start to do something about is. Reality is hard sometimes, isn't it?
But you've come to the right place, for advice, encouragement, to have the odd rant from frustration, but also for laughs.

However you want to do this, whatever plan you want to follow for the weightloss, we are here to help each other. Ask what you want to know, look around the site, join a support group. It helps.
so:
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #5  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I think it matters less WHEN you come to the honest assessment of how you are living and how you WANT to live. What is important is that you ARE THERE NOW. So don't beat yourself up! Some people, I am convinced, never really WANT to change -- for them, there is some benefit to being where they are, be it attention from the medical profession, 24/7 assistance from family members and friends, sympathy, or whatever. And even if they PROFESS that they want to change and say that they are extremely unhappy, they just don't get there.
Others, like yourself and most people on this thread, reach a point (no matter what the number on the scale) and decide that they just don't want to LIVE LIKE THIS ANYMORE.
Congratulations on making the choice to live a new life. There are lots of resources here to help you and fabulous people, especially on the Maintainers' Thread, who have been where we all started and are where we all want to be!

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-14-2009 at 11:43 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:35 AM   #6  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

I had my wake up call about three weeks ago--and wow, was it ever a wonderful thing to land here!
Do you know what you want to do? I love the five point plan above. That's basically how I got started until I figured out how many calories I'd eat per day, How I'd balance them--I'm still working on making excercise a habit but it is getting easier every day.

You can do this!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:47 AM   #7  
~jus' being me~

What a wonderful post! I love these moments of awakening.

You can lose any amount of weight that you choose to. The past is done with, so no sense worrying about the coulda shoulda woulda's . . . you are here now and have made the decision to do something for your health (speaking to myself here too).

Congrats for taking the step!
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 212

Height: 5 foot 9 1/2

Smile Dont give up!

I think everyone has THAT moment where they are stuck in limbo; in other words they looove to eat and tehy love to look good in clothes but the battle between the two is so strong that it makes you want to scream! Anyways my message to you is just dont give up, everytime you feel like its all hopeless and why bother, just do something else; call a friend, have a bath, do your nails or come on to this website. I hope it encourages you that you have lots of other ppl here who are in exactly the same boat...
Saroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

I am starting the same way you are. And tomorrow is Monday, which is the day I usually start another diet. But this Monday is different. I have never read such inspiring stories about weight loss before with a ton of motivation. It's hard doing it alone, but with this site, I bet we can get the support and drive we need to follow through on our goals. Good luck! :-)
abetterme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey! I had a moment very much like that, standing naked in front of a mirror and honestly taking in what I saw!

Now when I look in the mirror I don't see OBESE. But I do see "overweight" still, and that's what I want to change now.

I agree with the small steps. Set yourself up to succeed! Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #11  
Reached Goal Sept 11/09

S/C/G: 228/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Ladyfyre

I am the same age and height as you, and had a very similar starting weight as you do. I want to encourage you on your path, and tell you that you CAN do this. It IS possible. It won't happen overnight, but I was amazed how quickly I started to feel better. I began my journey on July 22, 2008 and I am now 15 lbs from my goal. It's amazing how easy it became, once I got through the hardest part (the first few week). Once I formed the habits, it became easier to live this way.

The hardest part for me was not giving up when I veered from my ideal. I still struggle with being kind to myself sometimes, but giving up is not an option.

Please PM me if you want to chat.

Peace, Heather
MrsWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Bravo. Bravo. Applause. Applause. Applause and a big hearty CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I think you're at that first and most crucial step - Realization & BRUTAL HONESTY. Facing it. Owning it. Telling it like it is. This is good. This is very, very good. No more hiding behind excuses. And now the next step - you're ready to take some action.

I'm excited for you, as this is a great stage to be in. I can feel your "readiness" and more important - and this is a BIG KEY - your willingness.

It sounds perfectly clear to me that you are willing to make the changes and do what is necessary to get the weight off and ensure the best possible life for yourself. And that IS exciting. Don't dread this change. Embrace it. Revel in it. Celebrate it and enjoy it. It's a thrilling journey!

I suggest you make yourself a healthy eating plan. Clear your home of the junk. ADD in scrumptious, nutritious and healthy foods. Keep to a food schedule. Pack up foods with you if you'll be away from home. Make yourself a set of rules or "food laws", some definite NO's, taking away the decision process - "should I have just this one bite?", and get going.......

You might also want to check out thedailyplate.com or any of the other online calorie counting sites. For me, eating healthy ALONE was never enough. I needed the forced portion control of tracking my calories. The built in accountability.

I agree with MRs. Wolf that the first week is the hardest. For me it was about 10 days. 10 tough days. But remember, you are establishing a pattern of health. It does take time for it to sink in. Healthy eating begets more healthy eating. It's a WONDERFUL cycle. Good habits, once established are just as hard to break as bad habits.

And come to 3FC - often. We're here for you for advice, suggestions, accountability, encouragement and support.

You're going to do this. Ya hear? I can just feel it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #13  
Amazing will be me

i am in the same boat was only till i seen pics and my clothes started getting tight that i reaised i was in DENIAL of how much i weighed and looked CHUBBIER. Ive creeped past 200lbs and am disgraced but haveput my foot down ans here goes heres to being some pounds LIGHTER.............GOOD LUCK
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #14  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Congratulations on taking the first step on this journey! You CAN do this. We are here to help and support you. Take it one day at a time, set small goals, reward yourself for achieving them. If you slip up, don't beat yourself up, get right back on track. This won't be easy but it can be done and the rewards are well worth the effort!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #15  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWolf View Post
It won't happen overnight, but I was amazed how quickly I started to feel better.
I've been OP for about 6 weeks now. I have lost 15 pounds and still don't have a miracle in the mirror, but I feel so much better.

One day at a time you can do this!! I come to the boards and read and post instead of eating or obsessing about eating.

Best Wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote