Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #1  
keto on

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'4"

Default *deep sigh* Here we go again.

Soo, I've just decided to go from counting calories to going on Atkins/the first stage of South Beach...
I've been on both, and I've seen the best results from those two diets (except for when I go back to eating unhealthy carbs x_X)

However, the reason is not necessarily to see immediate weight loss. I have "pre-diabetes", my blood glucose-level thing, when last checked, was 114. Normal is under 100. Diabetes is over 125. Soo, I'm supposed to be eating very few carbs anyway.

So, I'll be sticking to a diet good for my health and losing weight quickly yay. I already have vitamins for people not eating very many carbs, and I have medication from my doctor to help get rid of this pre-diabetes thing.

Hopefully, I can stick to the low/no-carb diet this time... I am Korean (rice!), Italian (pasta!), and Irish (potatoes!) ... I love carbs. LOVE them. This is going to be difficult... *sigh* BUT, I will do it, because I really do not want to have diabetes at this age, or ever.

Also, my mom bought me the GNC total body cleanse... it's supposed to help you lose weight.. but, no. The only reason I lost any weight with it is because of the STRICT diet it puts you on. I have noticed no difference. I did not use the bathroom any more often than usual; in fact, I used it less often. It was a waste of like... 40 or 50 dollars. My mom is rather angry that there were no noticeable results. So, maybe, when I go on this low-carb diet, she'll see results and stop complaining about her chunky daughter.

Wish me luck
divinechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #2  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

You can do this. And you can do it for YOU, not your mom. It's your life, not hers.

Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

As Jennelle said, you CAN do this.

My mom is a diabetic and comes from a looong line of diabetics. She is on a "diet" also, lol. I say that in jest because for me the word diet conjures up images of stocking the fridge with carrots and celery and not much else. She has lost about 15 pounds so far and I am so glad she is doing this. She used to practically dance a jig when she checked her levels first thing in the morning if it was 130. It was usually far greater than that. Her levels are now ranging from 99 to 105!!!

All she is doing is staying away from the same things I am sure your doctor has told you and of course, restricting calories.

She was on 2 different types of meds and she thinks she will get to come off at least one over the next month.

She prefers the Dr. Phil book along with what they taught her in diabetes class. But there are so many different types of programs out there for diabetes, you will find something that will stick. And it probably won't cost you a dime
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/200/145

Height: 5'7"

Good luck on the controlling of diabetes. My grandmother had that and I was hard to watch the daily shots and things. If you are borderline you should be able to more than control it with a regulated diet. It's hard to give up the carbs (I just made homemade bread yesterday and only ate two pieces out of the whole two loaves! YaY!) so I know where you are coming from.

Why is it that all the best taking yummy food is so bad for you? Talk about unfair. LOL. Keep us posted on how you do.
sexybak96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:52 AM   #5  
keto on

thank you for the support I'm going to do this for me, not my mom. it'll just feel great to get my mom off my back at the same time lol. i still haven't gone to the diabetes class my doctor told me about. it's over an hour drive away so I've just been looking things up online to learn about it. I'm going to the bookstore tomorrow for the latest anita blake novel, so maybe I'll pick up the Dr. Phil book while there
Old 06-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #6  
keto on

omgosh, I know, I LOVE bread. and, seriously, all the foods I crave are bad for me: fried chicken, pasta, white rice, bread, ice cream from time to time. I will definitely keep everyone posted
Old 06-15-2009, 01:23 AM   #7  
~jus' being me~

I used to be like that . . . I honestly thought that I could not exist if I wasnt stuffed full of all the worst sort of carbs for me. I started eating lower carb even before I was diagnosed with insulin resistance, and to be honest I didnt miss that food at all when I started to pay attention to the way that different foods made me feel. I am more alert on leaner proteins, fruit & veg than I am full of pasta and bread. I dont miss being sleepy I like being alert in my life.

Good luck to you on your journey!! You will do GREAT!!!!
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #8  
keto on

thanks for the encouragement, Danni I noticed that if I don't eat white carbs.. bread, pasta, rice, etc., I do feel a lot better. Eating whole wheat/grain food just makes me feel, like you said, more alert :] I used to eat and get stuffed and go take a nap. Now when I eat I'm all.. chipper lol. I just hope I stay awake/alert/chipper when I cut out carbs [almost] completely for like.. a month. we shall see. I'll just keep reminding myself: one month without carbs vs. a life of health problems. yeah, that's somethin to keep me on track
Old 06-15-2009, 02:57 AM   #9  
~jus' being me~

LOL exactly!!! I also kept reminding myself when I first started losing weight that the world won't run out of *insert naughty food in here* at any stage soon. I know that I can eat (within reason!) anything the closer I am to goal - just not every day lol But part of life is food and unless i am planning to live on an island far far away from the rest of the world (oh hang on - I do!!! <-- Australia ) I will have ocassions where I will eat things that are not perfect in an ideal world, but they key is balancing that out and moving on from those moments.

The more I focus on how I feel the better it seems to be. I am so over napping my life awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lol
Old 06-15-2009, 03:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 87.1kg/82.3/67

Height: 164cms

Good luck divinechaos, i have insulin resistance too and it is really hard work trying to stay away from all those carbs when your body always craves them. Danni is right though - the longer you stay away, the easier it gets to avoid then. You just stop feeling like eating them. Also, more energy and less afternoon naps are always a big bonus. Good luck!

And hello Danni from down under, I am from Australia too. hiii!
yoursummerdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:17 AM   #11  
~jus' being me~

Hellooooooooooo fellow Aussie!!!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:56 AM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

When I began, at 198 lbs, my fasting blood glucose was 109. By the time I reached my first goal weight, my fasting blood glucose was 87.

Exercise is really important for fighting high blood sugar--so I hope you have regular exercise/activity as part of your plan!

Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #13  
keto on

Australia? Freaking awesome! Gotta love those accents <3 lol
I'm trying to get an exercise/activity routine going for me. Right now I go for a mile long walk at night with the dogs, play some DanceDanceRevolution for anywhere from 30-60 mins a day, and I do 30 minutes on the wii fit. I want to run again, but treadmills are horrible on my legs and it's too hot outside to run, even at night (I live in FL). I'm thinking about sucking it up though and going running anyway
So, JayEll, how much time passed between your first glucose test and then the test after you reached your first goal? I'm wondering if I can go sooner than 50 lbs and see where my glucose levels are